Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know I currently own a MY98 Impreza 2.5RS which is completely stock except for the tires. I've only recently become interested in modifying it and have spent the last month or so reading and learning at this site and a few others. During that time I started to put a plan together in my head of what I wanted to do to the car.

After a few talks with my fiance I finally accepted the fact that I won't be able to do any upgrades until after our wedding for monetary reasons. Once I accepted that I decided to start writing down my plans so I could try to tune them and make the best decisions. The result of that is this spreadsheet:

25rsmods_xls97.xls

I would appreciate it if anyone could look it over and make suggestions for things that may be missing or better options that I could be exploring. Before you do that though, please keep these things in mind:

#1 This is my daily driver car and probably will be for a long time, it needs to retain a comfort level that is close to the stock ride.

#2 I'm trying to balance price and performance gains with my choices, I don't want to spend an outrageous amount of money nor do I want a huge amount of power.

#3 I'm still unsure as to my future plans of N/A, SC or TC.. so I probably won't be changing anything major like pistons or compression ratio's until I decide that.

#4 I haven't made any decisions about changes to the exterior yet. Since I have a MY98 I will probably need a different front bumper with larger foglights before I change anything else. Any recommendations on the exterior are welcome.

Thanks in advance for any tips you guys/gals can give me. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you don't have Excel you can download a free viewer here

·
Registered
1999 2.5 RS Silver
333 Posts
I'm just gonna say be weary of vividracing. (vendor that you've got set for your springs). I've not dealt with them personally but I'm afraid to.

·
Registered
392 Posts
only three things that perked my attention. For the front sway bar look for a adjustable one that is less than 22 and up to 22. A larger front sway bar is usually regarded as a autox upgrade and for harder driving as well as having more experience. Not that you don't just letting you know..

also the engine and tranny mounts add a noticeable difference in in car noise as well as a bit more vibration.

the proecm has been a rather debateable unit on here and the old iclub. There haven't been any thing to prove it's worth or to disprove it so just be careful if you decide to buy it.

other than those three things i don't see anything that doesn't look close to what i've done and am going to do.

·
Registered
597 Posts
rbehny said:

the proecm has been a rather debateable unit on here and the old iclub. There haven't been any thing to prove it's worth or to disprove it so just be careful if you decide to buy it.
does that apply to the other chip upgrades like scoobyracing?
can you please post links to some of these discussions?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips guys, that's the kind of stuff I was looking for.

I'll definately reconsider the front sway bar size, maybe I'll just leave it stock and think about upgrading it later if I ever decide to do some autox.

As for the engine/tranny mounts that is interesting, I hadn't heard that from anybody yet. I still might do them though or at least the tranny mount.

I had also heard a few things about the proECM being ineffective but I read somewhere that it is more effective when you have done more mods to your car. One person in particular said that it doesn't do much for you unless you have upgraded cams, I'll probably wait to get one until I do my heads and cams anyway so that should be good.

Finally for Vivid racing, I will keep that in mind. I'm actually not set on that purchase yet anyway, I'm thinking about keeping the stock springs. What I would really like is to find a set of performance springs that don't lower the car at all or only lower it less than an inch. Either way I can find those Eibach's all over, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
347 Posts
:nuetron:

My car is about a half a step above stock. It took me forever to decide to modify it and decide to spend the money.

I haven't read your spread sheet yet, but here are a few ideas to make your RS a slightly better driver.

1. Get endlinks. Whether its Kartboy, Perrin, Whiteline, or someone else, get a set of four.

2. A larger rear sway bar. It doesn't have to be enormous. I've got an 18mm, and would probably like to go to 20mm.

3. Intake/exhaust. This is somewhat personal preference, but it'll help the car breathe a little easier.

4. Suspension, springs, struts, strut tops, camber plates etc.

These are just some of the basic things I recommend. So far, I've done one and two. It really makes the car handle completely different. It livens up the steering and dramatically reduced body roll. Since I've waited a while, buying used parts here or on Nasioc is better than Ebay. I spent $50 for my used Cusco sway bar, $110 for new Whiteline endlinks (set of 4), and $50 for a used Ganzflow intake. I've also got a set of SPT springs, and will probably upgrade to struts by mid year.

Overall, these mods are pretty cheap if you don't mind something second hand. I'd recommend checking the classifieds, just about everyone's got WRX fever, so secondhand RS mods are dirt cheap. :yikes: :)

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts