Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for a good motorcycle mechanic in the Philadelphia, PA area

Hey,
I'm looking for a good motorcycle mechanic that's in my area (Philadelphia, PA). I have a 1990 600R Ninja. Its missing a seat (either my aunt threw it away or someone stole it, either way I don't have a seat.) When I bought the bike it was running. I'd like to make it a project bike but I'm having trouble tracking down some parts. Also, did I mention I'm in college??? So finding a good yet reasonable mechcanic with ok prices is great. Thanks for the help!
Rudy

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
Rudy-

Learn to work on that one yourself. There's not much to it. I used to own a 1989 600r.

If it's not running, but did, I'd bet just draining the gas, cleaning the carbs, and changing the spark plugs would get it back going again. Of course, change the oil and air filter too.

I can walk you through most anything, if you'd like. Trust me, these are very simple machines.

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
I'd start with new gas. That model has a strange fuel petcock on the right side of the tank. It should have three tubes coming out of it. Two large, and one small. FIRST< TURN THE GAS TO "OFF". Remove the three tubes, and label the two large ones to distinguish them when going back on.

Now remove the tank. I can't remember if you can simply turn the petcock to RESERVE, and drain the gas, or if there's something else to it. Either way, you should remove the petcock from the underside of the tank. You could actually do that, and just pour the gas out of the open hole. What I'm saying is find a way to drain the tank. There's more than one way.

Then, I'd spray the petcock out with some carb cleaner. I think that was one of the bike I had with a goofy petcock that worked on a vaccum, as well as gravity. Once it's clean, reinstall it.

Now you've got the old fuel out, the petcock working, but there's still gas in the carbs. You should be able to see a screw on each individual carb. Down near the bottom, on the float bowls. It would be the lowest screw, right next to the thing that looks like it might have a small tube attached to it. Pretty sure they're flat head screws. Attach a small tube, or just drain the gas all over the place. You just loosen the screw a few turns, and then tighten.

Try at this point to put the tank back on, with new gas, and start.

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
If you can get it started, you'rre pretty lucky. YOu'll probably need to do at least something else. BUT, you might as well give it a shot. DOn't crank on it forever if it doesn't start, you'll foul plugs. OR have you already done that?

If you have, you need to replace them, they're probably fouled. You should have a spark plug wrench in your toolkit that came with the bike. OR, go get one. I always remove one plug wire, and replace that plug, before removing any other wires. That way you don't get your wires crossed, literally. If you've never done this before, it's really simple.

Just find the thick wire going into the middle of each cylinder. remove it by pulling up on the cap (as opposed to the wire itself). Unscrew the plug. The new plug should have some WD-40, or oil sprayed on the threads before being installed. The rule of thumb is finger tight, and then 1/4 turn more. Don't overtorque these. There's no reason, they're not going anywhere.

Try starting it again. You wight find it only runs with the choke on. If that's the case, you need to spray out the carbs.

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
A quick thought. DOn't drop the plugs down the holes, and then tighten them. You'll end up tightening the gap, and getting a weak spark. Put them in the plug wrench, and then insert into the cylinder.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice :)
Would a normal spark plug adapter work? I bought this tool kit from craftsman and it has a spark plug tool that works for cars... will that work for my bike too?

Thanks again
Rudy

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
maybe. Can't remember what size plugs it uses. I'd bet it's 5/8" though. Pretty standard. Tell me how it goes.

·
The first ex-ex-moderator!
00 RS & GSX-R 750
1,446 Posts
Go to repairmanual.com and do a search for your bike. I got a Clymers for my gixxer and love the book. It shows how to do everything.

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
Good thought, but I'd save the $$ for the now. Plugs and carb cleaning is simple. If you decide to rebuild the engine, get a manual.

By the way, take the plugs out first, then go to the autoparts store. It's amazing how many times I've been given the wrong plugs when I just give them a number.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts