Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and all things scooby(been drooling for years though). I recently rolled my last car(totaled) and have been looking for a replacement. Ive always turned my head when ive seen the 98-01 RS coupes around, and it seems I just may be able to afford one. MPG doesnt seem horrible, and the AWD would be great for the feet of snow where I live. Is insurance horrible on these cars? (considered sports cars?) The other question I had was regarding the swaps to wrx or sti engines. I've seen a couple swaps around for about what I'm looking to spend on a regular RS, which as a speed nut entices me. Can any of you swap'd guys enlighten me on whether your insurance went up? Do the insurance companies just look at the body style? If the swap was prof. done is it listed in the carfax report with the VIN #? just trying NOT to get myself in over my head financially if I'm screwed on insurance. Thanks for all the help! I look forward to being a DRIVING member of the scooby community

· Premium Member
95 Lwrx cp, 95 L sdn, 98 L wgn
2,034 Posts
my insurance didnt change... but i dont think they know its swapped..... my insurance isnt the cheapest because i have a bad driving record. and it will not show up on my carfax because it was done by me and some friends. and most ppl swap L's and they go for like 7-8k depending on year and engine...

· Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs
655 Posts
Thanks! anybody else wanna chime in?
I'm in the middle of a swap right now. Not planning on telling the insurance company about it.

From what I've heard, if you tell them about your swap, they will cover it, but they will consider your car a wrx/sti rather than an RS, which means your rates shoot way up. (correct me if i'm wrong)

· Registered
2017 STi
14,451 Posts
I'm in the middle of a swap right now. Not planning on telling the insurance company about it.

From what I've heard, if you tell them about your swap, they will cover it, but they will consider your car a wrx/sti rather than an RS, which means your rates shoot way up. (correct me if i'm wrong)
Yeah your right I asked this question before a while ago. The problem is, if you don't tell them your swapped (in order to keep the RS rate as opposed to a wrx or sti rate)and they send someone who knows even a little about cars and he notices you have a swapped vehicle and you haven't told them about it, they won't cover the damages. There goes your investment.

Whoo run on sentence much! lol

· Registered
2000 Impreza++
82 Posts
Sorry to hear you rolled; accidents can really change lives and I hope it changed yours for the better rather than worse. Don't swap unless you want to add automobile maintenance or spending money for it as a hobby, my reasoning being personal experience. Not necessarily a bad thing but it'll be a chunk of time and change. Buy a 2.5 rs any year and do suspension/ brakes and it'll be titties. acceleration can be had going downhill too.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys, it helps. Yeah...eyes bigger than wallet I guess. Definitely in the future though. another quick question while I'm on here. My last car was a 01 Saturn with an auto...while i know pretty much ANYTHING is quicker than that, how quick are the stock RS's with say, CAI and headers/exhaust? As fun as a RSti sounds, modified stock should be enough fun for a while eh?

· Registered
2x01 2.5RS, 97 gm4
2,340 Posts
well....stock rs is fairly quick. for daily driving and stuff. off a red light you will take most cars. first gear is short. its faster then all them b18, b16 swaped hondas. faster or about same as civic si hatch (new one), or integra GSR. swaped car...hahaha not sure. but its aton faster then rs also shops don't report anything anywhere, your insurance wont know and i think i'd pull the intercooler off if got in the wreck. would look like n/a or tell them that you put a turbo kit or something. or thats how it is...they dont know, oh and insurance isn't as bad because its awd ( high safety rating+ABS+stock alarm)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.