Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'10 EVO X GSR, '15 Fiesta 1.0T
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: CAR SOLD... but is back for sale again.. by new owner.. see Post #6

For some reason I am intrigued by the idea of getting an "L" that is in decent shape and only needs a little work. Plans for this car will be to fix it up and sell my Acura and use this as a daily driver. Maybe in the future swap it since i miss my RS that I sold a few years back.

Anyway, I saw this car posted on another forum and figured before its gone I may take the drive to look at it... What should I look for and what would you say this is worth? The car is 3 hours away and just want to know what I should look for.

What I know:
  • 5 Speed Manual
  • 126,000 miles
  • Supposedly does not leak oil
  • needs rear struts (would replace these anyway)
  • front cv boots are ripped
  • light scrape down passenger side (still waiting on pics for this..)
  • Just starting to bubble over the rear quarters
  • Brake pads are half worn
  • No maintenance records with the car :(

I am going in this blind and its a dealer and they are asking $2900.00. What is it really worth with these miles and this condition?

Looks to be in great condition. Hopefully the paint under the ugly decals still match the rest of the body :facepalm: It will probably be gone before I get a chance to see it anyway.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
$2900 is a lot for the issues.

$2900 would not be a lot if there were no issues.

Knock the dealer down accordingly, but many won't come down and will wait for some nublet to come buy it.

$2000 max if you really love it. I'd talk on the phone first for sure.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I plan on calling the dealer today or tomorrow. I know it was a trade in at another dealership who likely wholesaled it to him. I was thinking $2,000 max but I'm sure they will find a s***** somewhere that will pay near asking.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay.. So this car got away from me when someone else bought it before I could get there. The new owner replaced the torn inners cv boots and the 02 sensor.. Did not fix the rear struts, the rust or the scrapes. Turns out it needed a new clutch as well which was replaced. He is asking $3000.00 obo. I think thats around $500 too much but don't think he will go much lower since he has about that into it.

He has it listed on Nasioc and Craigslist. I don't like cross posting a different forum and if this is a problem, let me know and I will remove.

FS/FT: (For Sale or Trade) NY:01 impreza L 5speed - NASIOC

Worth it?

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L 2002 WRX Swap
208 Posts
Okay.. So this car got away from me when someone else bought it before I could get there. The new owner replaced the torn inners cv boots and the 02 sensor.. Did not fix the rear struts, the rust or the scrapes. Turns out it needed a new clutch as well which was replaced. He is asking $3000.00 obo. I think thats around $500 too much but don't think he will go much lower since he has about that into it.

He has it listed on Nasioc and Craigslist. I don't like cross posting a different forum and if this is a problem, let me know and I will remove.

FS/FT: (For Sale or Trade) NY:01 impreza L 5speed - NASIOC

Worth it?
I'd be more concerned by why he just bought it, dumped money into it and is now turning around to sell it again. Did he talk the dealer down so much he's making a buck flipping it, or is there something wrong he doesn't want to deal with that didn't show until after he bought it?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd be more concerned by why he just bought it, dumped money into it and is now turning around to sell it again. Did he talk the dealer down so much he's making a buck flipping it, or is there something wrong he doesn't want to deal with that didn't show until after he bought it?
Yes from what I understand he got a decent deal on the car, put in the clutch, cleaned it up a bit and a few more minor items.. Thats my concern as well. Why such a quick turn around? But seems that he decided to just fix up his WRX instead of keeping this car.

those vinyls
Yeah.. Claims they can be removed. I'm sure the paint is faded underneath. The car has crap paint. I had some high res photos from the dealer and some of the car has a poor rattle can job around the rust spots. I would essentially fix the rust and paint it.. but only if I decided to swap it. Im sure some good high grit sand, compound, clay and polish would do wonders in the mean time.

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L 2002 WRX Swap
208 Posts
Yes from what I understand he got a decent deal on the car, put in the clutch, cleaned it up a bit and a few more minor items.. Thats my concern as well. Why such a quick turn around? But seems that he decided to just fix up his WRX instead of keeping this car.

Yeah.. Claims they can be removed. I'm sure the paint is faded underneath. The car has crap paint. I had some high res photos from the dealer and some of the car has a poor rattle can job around the rust spots. I would essentially fix the rust and paint it.. but only if I decided to swap it. Im sure some good high grit sand, compound, clay and polish would do wonders in the mean time.
I'd be worrisome, clutch and the other things you listed are involved to just turn around and sell a car. He had to get one hell of a deal to even make I profitable if the dealer wanted 2900 they don't usually move enough in price to have everything he did make sense to flip the car and sill clear money at 3000.

As for the vinyls you should be alright, my L had stickers on the trunk that were there for years and goo gone, heat and a little buffing after and you'd never know. Same with the spare truck I got with pin stripes on

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do know that he got it considerably less than the original $2900 asking price out the door due to the shot clutch that was not advertised by the dealer.

In the end, you take a roughly $2000 street price car due to the problems that still exist and put a clutch in it.. its still not worth much more than that in the end.

If he lowers the price a bit more, I may consider taking the ride up there to look at it, but to be honest, I wish someone else just buy it.. This car is haunting me :(

Do these 2.2's generally have HG problems? What about the belts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
None of the lines and seems seem straight in the pictures, I have the same issue on my 99 l from a fender bender on the passenger side.

The doors and trunk don't seem to fit right and some of the lights have been replaced. Makes me think it's been in accident at some point.

I have had almost constant small oil leaks on my 2.2 just bad seals, which happens when your car is hot summers and extreme winters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts