Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS RBP
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone! My names Loren and im fairly new to forums but i do know how to use the search button for the most part. Im 22 years old and I have owned 2 Subarus. My first was a 2002 WRX sedan with a small amount of goodies (turbo timer, sti intercooler, exhaust, and intake but forgot brands). I have always loved the 2.5RS, mainly the 2-door sedans and it just so happens that model is what my father bought brand new off the lot when I was 8 or 9 years old. I always told him that I would own that car one day and it would stay in the family forever. 13 years later my dad bought a new 2011 STI sedan and he gave me the RS. It was definitely worth the wait! I love this car so much more than I ever did my WRX. It is currently an automatic but i intend on swapping it for a 5 speed and eventually doing a motor swap and a 6 speed. For now im a starving college student so my build will be painfully slow but hopefully worth it in the end. It is a 13 year old car that has been in a snowy climate most of its life so its not the prettiest, but its definitely a solid lil car.

Thank you and I hope you all enjoy a really really slow build. lol

Pics of my 98 RS, my dads 11 STI, and my dad with the STI and RS, and my 02 WRX.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Smacked a curb a while ago but shes getting put back together now. It bent the heck out of the control arm and inner tie rod but all the parts are on the way. Also mangled the fender and cracked a 5 spoke goldie(super lame)

·
Registered
1998 2.5 RS, Brilliant Red
1,345 Posts
Loving the RS... sorry to hear about that curb smack & cracked goldie.
Best of luck getting her back together soon !

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Ya it sucks but she will be back on the road.

I just got done working on her for a bit and the new control arm doesnt line up anymore. I did some measuring and my front cross member is off by an inch or so and i dont see any way to repair it. Anyone have ideas or know of where I could buy a new cross member or used, even aftermarket would be great?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome and thats awesome about the Subaru family!!
Thanks! As far as the subaru family goes, its pretty cool. My dad and I are subie enthusiasts and mother drives a Baja and my sister drives an 07 Outback Sport.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got a new set of cheepie wheels today, a new/used sideskirt, valve cover gaskets and a crossmember today! Merry Christmas to myself. Also my wrx seats should be here soon hopefully! Im going to slave over her this weekend and hopefully get her back on the road!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, she is finally back together! Replaced crossmember, control arm, ball joint, swaybar, new wheels and tires for $600 (just temps until I can afford some O.Z. Ultraleggras), sway bar links, valve cover gaskets, plugs, wires, air filter, and wrx interior for the heck of it. I had some problems with my MAF and front O2 wiring but I finally figured those out today.

Now there are no codes but she is running pretty poorly. It basically only idles and its a really rough idle. If you give it any gas it bogs downs and 99% of the time it dies. I went through the vaccuum lines, checked plugs for spark, checked compression, and the coolant to make sure it wasnt a headgasket. It does smoke from the exhaust but I didnt see any oil on the plugs or in the cylinders. Im at a lose for ideas. Anybody have any suggestions?Any and all are appreciated.

here are some progress pics.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also I found this out and thought it was pretty cool. It turns out the first subaru my family owned was my mothers 1989 XT6. She was at the dealership and her water broke when she was pregnant with me. She bought the car asap and had my dad drive her and the xt6 to the hospital. Explains the Subaru love that runs in my veins. lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lexie is under construction. I decided to throw some forrestor struts under her to get some lift. I love offroad and all my subie friends are slammed so why not stand out? lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I worked through the night, and she is lifted now.:banana: Im not running sway bars for now. later on I think ill get some beefier swaybars and fab up some quick disconnects. Also going to get some strut spacers later to get some more lift. I switched top hats on the rear struts so i didnt have to drill a new hole. rear trailing arm brackets were switched to outbacks so it moved the rear wheel a little more toward the center of the wheel well. all in all, Im super happy with the lift. Handles better than I was expecting so thats good. I am picking up some 215/65/r16 General Grabbers next week if this deal goes through so I am keeping my fingers crossed. If I end up getting those tires, I will repair my cracked 5 spoke goldie and I will mount the big tires on them.

I already took her out to play in the dirt and jumped her. rides like a caddy haha. Anyway, enough talk, here is the pics!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today I bought another 98 rbp rs. auto for now and needs some work but body is pretty clean. I think it was Dr.Grumbles 2 owners ago. Now have my toy/offroad 98 RS and a cleanish street 98 RS. Stoked!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts