Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago I bought my Dad's 2000 Impreza L wagon from him for $900 and have been slowly adding things here and there. I was originally contemplating dropping an EG33 motor into the beast but after thinking it over for quite a while I just like how easy and bullet proof the old EJ22E that's in the car is, it has 209K. So far all I have done is change the muffler with a slightly less restrictive one, not a fart cannon either, and dropped in some heated leather seats out of a 96 outback. I also pulled all the stuff to do a rear disc swap from the outback.

After much reading on this forum I ordered a 95 accord intake and I can pick up a K&N panel filter from work at a discount. I want to pickup a 20mm sway bar for the back and new struts all the way round, it still has the factory struts :eek: Aside from that I figure a rering and bearings, relap the valves, toss in a set of Delta cams a header and drive it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So a 2.5 would use the intake just fine? Somewhere I was reading that they wouldn't, I could be wrong.

Another interesting question, I might be able to get a set of single cam 2.5 heads, off of a 2001 Legacy, would it be possible to install them on my short block and would it make any appreciable improvement?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did the imitation Ganzflow intake yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised how much of a difference it actually made, not earth shattering but noticeable all the same.

I made a plate out of sheet metal, rivited it to the the fender and lined it with split tubing to act as in insulator.

·
Registered
97 GF4
78 Posts
I believe if you try to swap in a 2.5 motor and still use your harness you will need to also swap the drivers side cam pulley and also the crank sprocket. This is to fool the cam and crank position sensors.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I will keep the original plan and just go old school on the EJ22, do the basic hot rod stuff like cams, headers, match port ect, keep it simple, this is my daily. I have a not so stock Mazda truck to screw around with, just spent 6 months rebuilding it, it causes me enough headaches, I need to pull the transmission back out of it because I installed the wrong input shaft seal.

·
Registered
97 GF4
78 Posts
Swapping in the 2.5 is easy. Could be done in an afternoon. I followed the D.I.Y. engine removal thread on this site and had no problems. We swapped a 2.2 that had timing belt failure for a 2.5 out of a totaled RS and have had no issues in the last year. But keeping the 2.2 is a good plan too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.