Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*WARNING! IF U HAVE 56K, GET OUT NOW BEFORE THE COMPUTER BLOWS UP IN UR FACE!*

well, all i can say is manny (my3awds) made me do it. lol j/k. he said even tho my car is ass ugly, it would be a good time to start a journal. :)

i will be showing off my whip on this page, but ive alreaddy created a blog for my project, which i will most likely update more than this RS25 journal. i guess im just here to whore some pics out basically on this page.

some quick notes about the car:

-1994 impreza L
-1.8l 4eat AWD
-purchased in march '08 for $700!!
-stock paint code 363 Amethyst

plans/goals:

-ej20g w/jdm 5spd tranny
-ver.5/6 STi gear
-uber paint job in a different color (its a secret for now!)
-going to the track to rip on some amateurs
-the list goes on......

PICTURE TIME!

phew.........that was long.

now excuse me while i sip on this.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Brighton, 4x4
1,681 Posts
Are you doing your own paint? If you would include as much detail as possible I would be grateful. I'm planning a DYI paint job my self and would like to get some feedback on what the best route is going to be.

I have seen the lacquer paint done on some hot rod show but I don't know if it the best for me. Also include the prep work your doing. What kind of compressor are you going to be using?

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
Subscribed.

I'm looking forward to updates. tHis is going to be a great little project.

·
Registered
97 Brighton, 4x4
1,681 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Are you doing your own paint? If you would include as much detail as possible I would be grateful. I'm planning a DYI paint job my self and would like to get some feedback on what the best route is going to be.

I have seen the lacquer paint done on some hot rod show but I don't know if it the best for me. Also include the prep work your doing. What kind of compressor are you going to be using?

well i bought a cheap 10 gallon air compressor at walmart, even tho it says its not reccomended to paint a whole car with simply because 10 gallons of air is not enuff but i am going to have a trick up my sleeve for this one. it did come with a paint gun and a impact wrench with a few more extra stuff they threw in for about $200 bucks.

i then bought a orbital 5" electrical sander for $30 bucks with some 80 grit and 120 grit. and for hand sanding im using 400 grit with a combo of 1000 grit/2000 grit for the last step. and u cant forget that bondo, bought the smallest can, im using bondo gold premium which is like 2 dollars more than the regular. dont forget all purpose prep cleaner, its sorta like a wax and grease remover and its pretty strong it will rub primer paint off. walmart has some good shit.

the plan:

having the entire car naked with no doors, bumpers, front fenders or a hood. paint the shell itself, obviously paint the door jambs with it, paint everything except the outer body. paint the engine bay while the tranny and motor is out, im currently on a swap so this is good timing for me. then paint the inner part of the doors where the interior doors cards go, then install doors but dont put any interior bits on the them, leave the window lining off and all that shit just leave anything off thats not metal. then im planning on painting the bumpers and the entire front end seperate from the car. i dont know why but this sounds like the best way for ME to do it, whatever makes u feel comfortable. just remember how many coats of primer and basecoat u used for ever panel, and how many coats of clear. by doing that the paint should be uniform under one shade of the same color and will match every other panel and body hopefully. the accrylic laquer paint is the easiet i found to mix, u need only to mix 50/50 with its paint thinner.

this is just merely "MY PLAN" on doing things, everybody has thier own way, so dont blame me if shit goes wrong =)

all panels off, just test fitting some 02+wrx rear seats i bought. car must be butt naked!

before and after of some body work

IM IN NO WAY TRYING TO CREATE A SHOW PERFECT CAR. with that being said i am ready to expect my DIY paint job to be shitty, but i will do my best with trying to put quality into it, and taking this project as a lesson well learned and as a stepping stone leading me to other great projects in the future. im deffinatley not aiming to make this a SHOW CAR. rather more likely a beasty race prepped car.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
progress:

tranny and driveshaft finally removed. installed legacy twin turbo x-member and GC8 FSB.

then i got the engine bay almost naked, cleaned/degreased and prepped for some primer using my cheap ass paint gun+10 gal. air compressor from walmart.

these gloves are so uber pimp! i was mixing my primer up and not even the paint thinner could burn through them! and they are also rip/tear resistant!

no glove,no love!

·
Registered
Subarus
342 Posts
Painted brake lines ftw! haha jk it looks good man, I am gonna try to paint my car too but I think I will get something like 30 plus gallons even though it looks like you managed it very well.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

·
Registered
MY01 2.5 rs Black
696 Posts
235 is definitely do-able. The 8.5" rim is gonna be the bitch. I've got 245's on my 8" +48 rims, and they clear as long as you're "selective" about your camber settings.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
his name is BARNEY!

sorry for the sucky camera, it has problems with trying to catch the color purple.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts