Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, after a hard run (pull through a few gears) I will start to blow some smoke out of the car, I noticed some is off the return line, and Ive got a new one here waiting to replace that, but It didnt happen before. And now Im wondering if its doing it out the exhaust. I know that a badly routed return line will do it, but that was done properly (pan welded as well). So guys, what else can it be?
Im thinking, maybe the feed lines pressure is too high?? (we raised the overall pressure on the motor as well)
I also read about someone tapping into the pan and going to the oil catch can??? Does that make sense
Thanks in advance
Kian

·
Registered
852 Posts
So Kian, your smoke is eminating from your return line or is it coming out the exhaust tip?

If its eminating from your return line, check it to make sure it is not resting against your uppipe or exhaust manifolds. If the pan is tapped, then chances are your oil isn't getting stopped up in the return line.

If the smoke is coming out the back of your car, maybe its rings?

Graham

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im gonna pull the turbo off and put in a new fatty line and check if thats the prob. Its known that too small of a line will restrict oil return and allow it to seap past the bearing, but damn this line is already big!.

·
Registered
No Subie to see here, carry on
109 Posts
Kian,

Check your intake. You might have some oil in your intake that's going through and burning off. If so, that lowers your effective Octane Rating which can lead to Detonation and even more smoke in the intake. It's a vicious cycle. It's also normal to have some smoke out the valve covers at higher RPM's.

If that's the case, consider an oil/air separator.

Otherwise, it's possible that the seals on your turbo are bad... though not likely.

Your oil return line might have a kink or blockage of some sort.

Chad
93 1.8T

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All is well, (knock on wood!)
I had a few variations of return line made, and the first new one I tried works :D
no back flow, just smoooooooooth boosting. Wow I love my car :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
So the one you had before was just too small or a return line?

Graham

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was just kinked, so the new lines have different fittings on the ends, and its routed slightly differently.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts