Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
99 RS WRB/SOLD
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any issues as far as engine balance or vibrations to engine faliure when a lightweight fly wheel and crank pulley are installed at the same time. I have a lightweight flywheel on my 2.5 and love it but looking to free up more rotating mass.

All feedback would be appreciated

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
The only thing that was ever mentioned about the lightweight combo was that you may occasionally get a misfire code. Other than that, you shouldn't have any issues. I have a 9lb Fidanza flywheel but I'm scared to get the lightweight crank pulley... I have emissions to pass and my rpm's fly up and down fast enough.

·
Registered
Silver 05 LGT, Red 98 Trans AM
174 Posts
I am running both a light fly and a light pully and have no problems with them, My flywheel is 13lbs and the pully is like maybe a 1lbs pully I dont remember, its the perrin one. From my understanding you can do both on the RS and never have a problem, its when you do both or just go too light on the flywheel with the WRX motors is when you start having missfire issues.
Mike

·
Registered
2001 Black 2.5RS
277 Posts
the only other concern I've heard of from others who have that combo is thatyou need to rev the shit out of the engine to get the car moving (MT). -- not from experience.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Not really. The RPM's fly up and down, but its not like I have any trouble shifting either way. Rev-matching is awesome now. The only thing that kinda sucks is when you're starting out in first on a hill. The lightweight flywheel doesn't give you enough rotational mass to make it an easy start. You'll stall out if you don't blip the gas enough. It's nothing extreme, and after driving around a while, you'll get used to it.

·
Registered
00 2.5RS BRP
687 Posts
the only other concern I've heard of from others who have that combo is thatyou need to rev the shit out of the engine to get the car moving (MT). -- not from experience.

what??? it free's up HP that is lost

·
The Thread Stopper
11 WRX, Matte black
5,783 Posts
There is no adverse effect of lowering rotational mass (other than a few less volts at idle which can easily be solved w/ an STi alternator or similar). Even on the EJ205. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
Silver 05 LGT, Red 98 Trans AM
174 Posts
To be honest there is so little rotational mass on my crank that I pretty much just let the clutch out and the car starts to move. I mean not flat out drop the clutch but you know what I am saying. If i am in a flat parking lot I can get the car going with just the clutch and no gas.
Mike

·
Banned
'04 RS PBP w/ Black Tarmacs
1,805 Posts
I have the 12.9 lbs Exedy FW and the Kartboy lightened pulley. The pulley is about 2 lbs so it's not the lightest out there. With this set-up I've gotten no codes so far and the car revs way more freely. The only downside is when stuck behind slow traffic I tend to shift slower so the car shudders a bit. Those damn slow drivers! LOL

·
Registered
357 Posts
MrJosh's LW pulley and ACT StreetLite : no CEL or driveability problems.
(flywheels does make a bit of noise after some 'spirited' driving)

·
Registered
2000 2.5Rs Charcoal Grey
148 Posts
Anyone tried this kit and knows if it's worth it? http://www.groupa.ca/PR_3_pulley_kit.html

I have a friend that is selling just the Lightweight Crank Pulley and I was wondering if I should just wait and buy the full kit or the full kit might be giving more problem and just go with the Lightweight Crank Pulley.

·
Registered
STi swapped SF5, WTF?
2,933 Posts
I have the Group A 3 piece set on my car and it is very nice. They are a vendor on here as well so definitely check them out.

·
Premium Member
95 L-STi
433 Posts
My question is...will having both FW and LWP be bad with a turbo'd stock RS motor? Or does having a turbo not make a difference?

·
Premium Member
95 L-STi
433 Posts
I wouldnt get the power steering one, doesn't seem like it'd do any good to me... I'd just get the flywheel and crank pulley, ive heard having those 2 and a light weight alternator pulley can cause problems...

·
Registered
2000 2.5Rs Charcoal Grey
148 Posts
Would I notice a difference with just the Crank Pulley. I could probably get it for 70 cnd. Should I ?

It's the one in this picture. I can only see black on on there web site so I'm not sur if it's an old one or there pretty much just all the same?

·
The Thread Stopper
11 WRX, Matte black
5,783 Posts
My question is...will having both FW and LWP be bad with a turbo'd stock RS motor? Or does having a turbo not make a difference?
I had LW Fly, LW crank pulley and LW alt pulley on my EJ205...zero issues.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts