Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have any 0-60 and 1/4 mile times with a lightweight flywheel and clutch upgrade. I am just considering what my next upgrade will be. I have read that our flywheel is very heavy. How hard is it to do, or do I need to take it somewhere?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I installed the Excedy crome-moly flywheel and the ClutchMasters stage 3 with Kevlar clutch disc. It made a noticable difference in throttle response and acceleration. All you have to do is pull the trans, swap the parts, and put the trans back in. It took me about 6 hours to do by myself...

·
Registered
2001 Silverthorn Coupe
144 Posts
If you are not really mechanically inclined take it somewhere. I put mine inthe first time under the car, the second time I removed the engine.

The piolet bearing in the flywheel is a real pain in the ass. Lineing up the two long studs and the dowels is tough while under the car. Unless you get them to slip in directly, you can damage the piolet bearing and have all kinds of neat problems. This is where a trans jack is extreamly helpful. A lift would be really nice, but it is not necessary.

Getting the trans out is extreamly easy, engine is a bit more diffacult, but not very hard, just alot to do. I assembeled them outside of the car and put them both back in together, after wrecking a bearing. Luckily nothing else was damaged.

cheeRS,

Greg

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Asp
152 Posts
what problems did you have with the pilot and the flywheel?

i have the fidanza flywheel and we had to glue the pilot in so it would stay.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've used the CUSCO units in friends WRX and they were alright but the OS Giken conversion for the WRX trans is just a vast improvement because it converts to a push style throw out bearing which has way better pedal feel to it and holds a incredible amount of power. Otherwise the ClutchMasters isn't bad. If you have access to one then use a lift and a trans jack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts