Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

· Premium Member
95 L-STi
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few Subies that have kevlar or some other lightweight driveshaft installed. What's everyone's take on these? They're pretty expensive...do they make enough of a difference to make them worth while?

I also did a quick google and can't seem to find anywhere that sells them for pre-bugeye Subies... Can anyone point me in the right direction?

· Registered
1995 Impreza L & 1997 OBS
2,300 Posts
i dont think theyre worth the money on a daily driven car, maybe if you go to the track. the problem with our driveshafts are that theyre two piece, so you lose even more hp through the u joint. braille makes a 1 piece cf driveshaft, thats sells for around $1500 iirc. I eventually wanna get that when i am at the drag strip and especially road course more often

· Premium Member
95 L-STi
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow 1500 bucks...I wonder if you have other lightweight stuff if you shouldn't have a lightweight driveshaft...kinda like having a lightweight flywheel and lightweight pulleys can mess with your engine?

· needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
12,639 Posts
The driveshaft won't have enough effect to cause any engine problems. I'd like to have a one piece driveshaft. Anyone know why we have the two piece type? Maybe for ground clearance?

· Registered
1998 impreza 2.5rs
703 Posts
Are they any weaker? I mean, I know it's supposed to have a higher strength to weight ratio, but as far as where all the cars power is going, and into a small rotating rod, does carbon work that good? Ever heard of them failing?

· Premium Member
RSTI
8,182 Posts
Carbon fiber when laid correctly has an amazing amount of torsional resistance. They don't fail that often. I've never actually heard of it happening. If they do fail however it just turns into a big ass carbon brush vs. the pole vaulting effect when a joint fails on an aluminum driveshaft.

cheers

poorman

· Registered
1998 impreza 2.5rs
703 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info! You rock.

Also, bump for the question about why we have 2 piece driveshafts. I'm curious. And we can even replace it with a 1 piece? Seems like it would be much stronger.

· Registered
2,300 Posts
...and in like ten years it'll have paid for itself. haha. Might be a good justification to tell my girly though...hmm...
thats how i justified my volks te37s to myself... 13.2lbs each... thats gotta save me atleast 1-2mpg at $4/gal... yea.... its worth it! that driveshaft is pretty cheap, maybe ill buy it come fall and try it out.

· Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
480 Posts
mxpunk said:
i pondered this awhile ago...not for performance reasons though, but for fuel economy. less un sprung weight = better mpg
I think you mean rotating weight? Because you're drifshaft doesn't qualify as unsprung weight.

· Premium Member
01 rs coupe. BRP
1,906 Posts
how much could it really free up tho? I mean a 28lbs flywheel vs an 8 lbs one only makes a little difference
common man haven't ya ever played gran turismo :clap:

Seriously though it would help alot with reving up faster cause it is a rotational mass just like a flywheel. I would liek to save the money and just have a one piece aluminum one. but as far as freeing up actual hp my guess is similar to that of the fly wheel, maybe 5hp maybe.

· Registered
2,300 Posts
yea, theyre designed more for allowing the engine to rev easier and quicker due to last rotating mass. as for the one piece design it frees up horsepower since you dont have the middle u joint soaking up power.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.