Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm under the impression that the only way to get rid of my CEL for the P0420 is to wire in a MIL eliminator to my rear o2 sensor. I've been searching around a bit but it seems that ponyexpress no longer exists and I can't find them anywhere else. I've tried the rear o2 spacer, which set off the code waayy faster than before. I also tried wrapping the headers, which didn't work either.

1. Does anyone have one, or know where I can get one?

2. Is this the only successful method of getting rid of my terrorizing p0420?

3. What exactly IS the MIL eliminator? Resistors?

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
Kinda sucks that the PEP Mill Eliminator has become impossible to find.
I guess I got lucky grabbing mine while they were still plentiful.

Oakos is sold out, but...
http://www.oakos.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PEPMILELIM

Then there are these for a Mustang
http://www.americanmuscle.com/splice-in-mil.html?productid=splice-in-mil&channelid=FROOG
But, it's a kit of 2, and I don't know if it works on our rear o2 sensor. I'd bet it does work though.

It might be possible to make your own
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-52498.html
As I understand the PEP Mil Eliminator, it was just some combo of resistor and cap.

I assume you already saw this on ScoobyMods?
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9753

I see an opportunity for someone handy with a soldering iron to make a few $$ making and selling these.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nice! Thanks Skidd. I got the installation part on scoobymods, but I didn't see that one there. I'm thinking of making my own, and maybe even selling a few if I'm successful with my it.

Anyone here make their own? I'd really like to get my hands on one so I can make a replica.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apparently, PEP decided to discontinue them, so they're no longer available. OAKOS can't help me with the schematics because they haven't even figured it out yet. PonyExpress no longer exists as a company, so I guess I'm SOL unless I can find one on the forums somewhere.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I thought. So I'd have to measure what the rear o2 sensor is putting out before and after it throws the code, and then wire in a resistor that's the difference between the two, correct?

·
Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,278 Posts
I have a brand new pony express MIL eliminator that I could dissect...

My car has mostly stopped throwing P0420s after I put the new motor in, so I may not need it...

-- Dave

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
That's what I thought. So I'd have to measure what the rear o2 sensor is putting out before and after it throws the code, and then wire in a resistor that's the difference between the two, correct?
yea that seems about right. idk what wire it would be though.

if it doesnt work try to get the voltage from another car. maybe you can talk Lloyd into it..lol.

·
Registered
MY01 2.5 rs Black
696 Posts
Made a spacer for the rear O2 out of two 18mm long spark plug non-foulers with the centers drilled out. Been on the car for about 9 months now, and not a single CEL...

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
I put the non-fouler spacers on and got a CEL so much faster than before!

·
Registered
MY01 2.5 rs Black
696 Posts
I put the non-fouler spacers on and got a CEL so much faster than before!
Yeah, I read that in your previous post! Weird. Possibly a difference in materials, length of the spacer, who knows...

·
peon
shitty shitty bang bang
2,583 Posts
I'll be making one soon enough. This is totally do-able.

·
Ex-Mooderator
3,278 Posts

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Dave. Using the picture and instructions, I made one. I'm going to install it over the weekend and hope for the best. Thanks for all your help!

·
Ex-Mooderator
3,278 Posts
Did you figure out if that second band is blue or black?

I think it's black, making that a 2000000ohm resistor...assuming the first band is red...

3000000ohm if the first band is orange... I'll have to double check the colors when I get home.

And I forget what the thing in the middle is...
Is it possibly a mini capacitor?

How do I read that?

[Edit]
On closer inspection looks like the colors on the resistor are:
Brown
Black
Green
Gold

So this is a 1,000,000ohm resistor.[/edit]

-- Dave

1 - 20 of 169 Posts