Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sitting here bored and waiting for spaghetti to boil, looking at a Z4 ECU out of my old WRX.

Let's figure out a way to grab all of the data/ROM off of the circuit board. Then we can see how these brains actually think and work. It will demystify a lot of the ECU voodoo for us and it will be fun. Right?

I have absolutely no idea where to start other than cracking open the case and taking pictures of the board.

Any computer or software engineers? Or someone with training/experience with electronics? Or just a really curious person? Does YesItsDrew still post here? I remember he knows circuits. Also, rob might be good with this stuff.

RS25.com = The Mother Brain. I am 100% confident that we can figure out how to do it if we put our heads together because everyone here is HELLA smart. Who's with me? Post in this thread if you're interested or just want to watch the trainwreck. :)

PROJECT UPDATE 9/14/08: >>>>>>>> SubieSMART.com <<<<<<<<

Please register!

·
Banned
4,588 Posts
I think member Storm might have a lot of knowledge with ECU's. I was going to have him make my 97 2.2L ECU have an increase redline but never had the chance to go through with it.

·
Registered
99 RS-T
267 Posts
I don't know much about ecu's, but I've designed a few circuit boards, and my stepdad used to do that for a living. I'll do a little research and see what I can come up with...

·
Reformed Ricer
07 STI, 07 STI, 10 Forester, 03 WRX
4,575 Posts
worlds greatest thread. i know nothing about ecus so im excited to see where this goes.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
99 V5 GF8
112 Posts
I use it all the time for work! Its basically an engineering controls language, very quick to develop and test.

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
i r have teh computer engineering degree...i thought about doing this a while back while i was still in school and had all the equipment....

decided against it simply because it's just not worth the time and effort you'd have to put in.....

BBBUTTTT i do have my old ecu just sitting in a box under my bed....and it would be a fun little project....

maybe when i get my car back on the road and have a little more free time i'll help out...

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
Dude, MOAR POWAR is always worth the time and effort.

This will go hella quickly since it's everyone working together. Like a bunch of worker bees.

ahhaha man it's not that simple....you really cant just open it up and reproduce the circuit.....

the circuitry is just supporting the microcontroller(s) where all the magic happens....you MAY be able to pull the code off the μC but who knows....question of having the necessary equipment as well as what type of μC they used.....

im not trying to be a downer...just saying people might spend a lot of time and get nowhere

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
We could use this knowledge to make a Subaru Superuberpowerfulawesomelycool ECU for all the N/A Impreza owners!! +50hpz +45lbs/tq +mpgs!!!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bill from iSpeed seems to have figured it out with his 2.5RS reflash but he's not sharing his secrets (obviously). I think if he can do it, so can we.

But it's knowledge exactly like this:

the circuitry is just supporting the microcontroller(s) where all the magic happens....you MAY be able to pull the code off the μC but who knows....question of having the necessary equipment as well as what type of μC they used.....
...that will make this project possible!

Trust me, I know this won't be easy and it won't be overnight (might take months or a year) and this will involve some l33t-level hacking but I think it's doable. It's just a circuit, it's not magic, right?

And that's the REAL ULTIMATE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
all we'd need is a ROM reader
i heard somewhere it was all surface mount in subaru ecus? must have heard wrong....
i need to do my research it seems..

but no timmmeee...must ...get...car..back...on....road...sick...of...taking....bus

1 - 20 of 258 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.