Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
00RS 04STI
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I'm in SD and also relatively new to CA and want to now where I can get legal aftermarket parts(exhaust/headers) here?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
01 2.5RS White - 4EAT
729 Posts
Welcome to Smog Nazi Cali. The parts you seek can be bought at a local "speed" shop. There are no legal headers. The only legal thing to be bought in CA for our cars is an exhaust system (provided it at least passes the 95dbA limit) :( .

·
Registered
01 2.5RS White - 4EAT
729 Posts
I can't believe that it's legal. If you can hear it a mile away, then it's most definitely over the 95dbA limit that we've got in CA. I hope to never come across a car w/ one of those things.

·
Premium Member
00RS 04STI
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey ivbdn,

Why not the headers? I'll do some research later.

·
Registered
01 2.5RS White - 4EAT
729 Posts
The Borla headers are legal in every state except CA. All the other headers on the market for the RS haven't been CARB Certified.

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs-T
391 Posts
In CA the only thing you will never get a fix it ticket for is an air-freshener.

They say its illegal to have a/an intake, exhaust, window tint, winsheild stickers, spoilers, your car can be too low, upgraded tail lights, clear corners, those blue head light bulbs. Its really just about anything in CA.

You can get a Bubb Rubb and Lil sis whistler so your car can go Woo Woo, those are still legal I believe.

·
Premium Member
00RS 04STI
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ivbdn
So I've done a little research and found that the engine can perform more efficiently by adding headers(I'm new at this) and that should mean less crud being expelled. Correct?

What kind of ish is up with Cali(We want your $$$$$)?

jdmimpreza
As much Hondafication that I've seen it is hard to agree totally. They must have all legal upgrades(oem or carb). I see so many bowls of rice on a daily basis I think they're trying to convert me. NOT.

Anyway, how would they know if I'd installed some headers?

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
396 Posts
The ONLY Impreza upgrade I know of that is CARB is the AEM and Injen intakes.

Tanabe exhausts (there might be other, I just don't know of any) come with a certificate that say it's legal if used with the oe header and cats.

The JDM taillights, altezzas, clears side and corners are technically illegal, but I've never heard of anyone getting harrased if the bulbs flash amber.

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs-T
391 Posts
The police can write up a ticket for you and your car for just about anything. Even if its Carb legal it doesn't matter. Do you think if you have a Greddy Exhaust on your car and you show the police officer that its 50 state carb legal, do you think he will care? He's still going to write you a ticket, and you will have to go to court to fight it and to prove your right. Same goes with the JDM taillights, if its not DOT approved which it is not, since its a jdm part they can give you a fix it ticket. So if none of your aftermarket corner lens/tail lights have a DOT on it, its illegal.

For performance mods goes ej25=lack of real mainstream aftermarket support. Best bang for your buck, K&N drop in panel air filter.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Why would an officer still write a ticket even after you have presented proof of the CARB EO#?

Isn't that malicious and places an unnecessary strain on the local courts?

I would hope if such was to happen the judge would reprimand the officer or forward a memo to his/her supervisor for wasting the court's time.

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs-T
391 Posts
Albert said:
Why would an officer still write a ticket even after you have presented proof of the CARB EO#?

Isn't that malicious and places an unnecessary strain on the local courts?

I would hope if such was to happen the judge would reprimand the officer or forward a memo to his/her supervisor for wasting the court's time.
Believe me they do it. Here's an example, not with a Carb# but with a DOT approved tail lights(euro/altezza). I just copied everything rather than linking it.

Here we go:

In the Eyes of the Law

Lets face it, driving an import and living in California do not mix. The harassment the law enforcement agencies, especially the California Highway Patrol (CHP), gives towards the import scene are tremendous. Unfortunately there is seldom little to nothing we as fans and drivers of this addiction towards the "rice rocket" movement can do to protect ourselves against this injustice. Or is there?

When I was young, and driving an older Chevy pickup truck, louder then most car stereo systems that I see at local car shows, the most I ever got from police officer was a glance at the car and a nod insinuating a job well done on my automobile. Long tired of running the fan on high in traffic to keep the beast from over heating and the loud hum of the motor on hot days, I turned to the up and coming import world back in 1997 when I purchased a brand new 98 civic coupe. Adding little things here and there I began to go threw the car form the inside out and customizing anything and everything I could unscrew, unsnap or pop of with a little pressure. Most of the mods I made were to the interior or engine bay and I never had a problem with the CHP until I started the exterior of the car.

On a fine sunny day of last year, I awoke to a telephone ring and my girlfriends voice screaming happy birthday. She was so anxious to come over and give me my gift that I did not have the heart to tell her it was to early. Fortunately as I opened the cardboard box, I was delighted to see a pair of Altezza rear taillights for my ride (keep in mind at that time Altezza taillights had just made it to the scene and I would be one of the first to have them on a car in my neighborhood). She was so excited about getting them for me she made me go put them on before I could even put shoes on my feet.

After showering we took the car out for a ride, I had to show off my new lights, and as I was pulling back into my driveway I looked up in my rear view mirror and saw the famous black and white car behind me. I got out of my car and started to walk into my house thinking I had done nothing wrong. "Son, can I have a word with you". I shiver went down my back and I turned around knowing I had not done anything wrong. "You know your taillights are illegal and I am going to have to give you a fix it ticket" , the voice again said. At that point my girlfriend went from cute little college girl to Mike Tyson. She went on and on about the guy who sold them to her said they were fine and you could not give me a ticket. After getting her into the house, the officer finished the ticket and stated politely, "Have a nice day".

I thought, you have a great day, knowing one of my friends, who also is also a cop, would sine it off that same day. Now I am not saying not to fix what is broken, but there was nothing wrong with the lights. Just to be safe I changed them back to stock, had my friend sign the ticket, and sent it in. Nothing else to worry about.

Two weeks later I received a letter from the county court stating I needed to pay $75 in order to clear the ticked because the situation was for a modified tail lamp and not for a broken tail lamp. To be exact the traffic code is 26101. The heck with that, now I was mad. Being a kid of the digital age, I jumped on the Internet and started searching for answers.

This is what the exact law state for tail lamps to be legal in California:

1. At least two taillights
2. Both at the same level, one on each side of the vehicle
3. Red and visible from 1000 feet to the rear
4. Mounted not lower then 15 inches and not higher then 72 inches

For stop lamps:

1. Need at least two stop lamps
2. At least one on the left and one on the right
3. Must emit red light, must be visible from 300 feet
4. Must turn on when you hit the brake pedal

I met all that criteria and to make my point even more clear to the judge I printed out the actual DMV law book straight from the internet at http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc.htm , as well as, taking pictures of the Altezza tail lamps on my car and on the Lexus Is 300.

I walked into court on the day of the arraignment feeling proud that I had done my homework and I had no chance of winning. Here is a hint for anyone who has never been to an arraignment, all the Judge wants to hear is guilty or not guilty, nothing else. Do not go into an arraignment thinking you will be able to explain yourself and get away with not having to come back, you will only piss the judge off and make things worse for your self. After pleading not guilty, I was given a new court date. I showed up to that appearance bright and early, hoping the officer would not come. He did and I was forced to stand up in court. To my surprise there was no home team advantage. Officers and Judges do not gang up on you, in fact, from what I saw the cops are just afraid of the Judge as you are. Well the judge asked the officer what happened and he told to story very well and all of it was true. Then she asked me if I had anything to add. I stood there and read what I had found on the DMV website and then presented her my pictures of the tail lamps. She looked the photos, looked at me, pasted the photos to the officer and asked him if he noticed the righting that was on the tail lamp. She said, "on the tail lamp itself, there is a DOT (department of transportation) mark with a verification number, do you see that?" I did not even notice it before and I thought I had just lost the case. He replied that he did in the photos and handed them back to her. She took a deep breadth and I was waiting for her to go off on me. She looked at the officer and said, "Why are you pulling him over when his tail lights a perfectly fine and are even approved?" He said nothing. With that she dropped the case and dismissed me out of the courtroom. I had won, the system works!

About a month later I saw the same officer on the side of the road waiting for speeders. As I passed he gave me a nod, as if I were his nemesis and he would find some other way of beating me. From then on I haven't had any problems with the tail lamps but I still keep a copy of the traffic code in my glove box just in case.

This is what he got pulled over for. Even though he won, he still had to go through this bad ordeal over tail lights.

·
Registered
2000 BRP RS coupe
351 Posts
Albert said:
The ONLY Impreza upgrade I know of that is CARB is the AEM and Injen intakes.
Last I heard (about 1 month ago), the '00-'01 AEM intake was still pending CARB certification, so unless that has changed, it is not yet CARB legal.

·
Registered
396 Posts
DoorKnob said:
Last I heard (about 1 month ago), the '00-'01 AEM intake was still pending CARB certification, so unless that has changed, it is not yet CARB legal.

Maybe...., not positive, I haven't checked with anyone but their own press release seem to say it's now CARB certified.
http://www.aempower.com/pdf/2001_Press_Release.pdf

edit: scrool to page 12.

·
Premium Member
00RS 04STI
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think they've a little bias against imports eh? I'm not into all the excessive exterior mods, stereos, loud exhaust,etc(waisted $$$$).
I want to increase efficiency, speed and handling. Sleeping Boxer Technique!!

So when my oem exhaust/intake die I should be ableto replace them with "new" ones?

Besides, the guy didn't look under my car to check for any mods. He just did the routine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts