Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
02 Impreza RS Blue Ridge Pearl
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on here and iclub and couldn't really find the info I wanted. I'm at the point where I'm ready to buy my next Subaru, but I've been debating whether to buy a 2000-2001 Rs sedan, or any year Legacy GT. Now, what's the difference between the two performance wise and overall. Which car would be a better investment? They're both hard to find out here in LA, but when I do find one, which one to get? Thanks in advance.
-Ells
P.S.-I'd like to know the PROS/CONS of both.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I haven't driven a Gt but, the RS is lighter so therefore it will handle better, and be a little quicker. the GT will have more creature comforts and probably be more comfortable and a lot more room. I have been trying to talk my wife into getting a GT. Then i will have the RS and she will have the GT, best of both worlds! IMHO

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used to have a 1998 Legacy GT, I now have a 2001 RS. The RS is quicker and handles better. Personally I liked the interior and seats in the legacy better. The creature comforts were much better too. In general the paint is also much thicker on the Legacy... In a nutshell. If I had my choice of a turboed legacy or a turboed RS. I know this is sacrilige but I'd take the legacy. Stock for stock it'd be the RS. In it's stock form, the legacy just can't get out of it's own way...

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
The 2000 vs. the 2001 RS are identical except for some minor (cosmetic only I pretty sure) things.

The 98-99 are different engine, using a MAF sensor and not a MAP, and are more boost-friendly.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx for the quick replies everyone.... I still have my Legacy Sport Sedan (2.2L Turbo) I was considering implanting it into my next subie, but don't know yet....
-Ells

·
Ntseg Muag!
SRP MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
518 Posts
impreza- 165 hp at 166 lbs torque better performance, handeling, looks more agressive.

legacy- 165 with 166lbs(same motor), looks great, less agressive, Boxer 6 optional(h6 3.0 sedan 212 hp and 210 lbs torque), luxuries, more room.

If you want a family car take the legacy but if it's your own personal subaru take the RS.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Lue V said:
legacy- 165 with 166lbs(same motor), looks great, less agressive, Boxer 6 optional(h6 3.0 sedan 212 hp and 210 lbs torque), luxuries, more room.
Are you sure about that? I thought the 3.0 H6 was only available in the Foresters?

But anyways, here it is in a nutshell:

RS-Sports car that you can use as a daily driver
GT-Touring car you can use for sports

The Legacy is what Subaru originally campaigned in the WRC, and then they made the Impreza to replace it, because they wanted something smaller and lighter for racing.

·
Ntseg Muag!
518 Posts
HondaH8er said:

Are you sure about that? I thought the 3.0 H6 was only available in the Foresters?

But anyways, here it is in a nutshell:

RS-Sports car that you can use as a daily driver
GT-Touring car you can use for sports

The Legacy is what Subaru originally campaigned in the WRC, and then they made the Impreza to replace it, because they wanted something smaller and lighter for racing.
yup i'm pretty sure go here to find out more about it.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
OK, I guess the Outback is technically a Legacy, although the name Legacy has been dropped from the Outback linup. Is that what the guyis looking for, though? Outback or Legacy, or does it make a difference? Almost sounds like he's looking for a used Legacy, which pretty much puts the Outback H6 out of the picture.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
The 2000-2001 RS is a body style that you will have a hard time finding in the future. I believe that they made quite a few less of these than they did with the Legacy GT. Don't get me wrong the Legacy is cool (I still want one), but if you really like the RS I would go for the RS. You will be able to find a Legacy GT that was driven by a granny much easier later on. Or hold out for a Liberty b4:biggest:

·
Ntseg Muag!
518 Posts
HondaH8er said:
OK, I guess the Outback is technically a Legacy, although the name Legacy has been dropped from the Outback linup. Is that what the guyis looking for, though? Outback or Legacy, or does it make a difference? Almost sounds like he's looking for a used Legacy, which pretty much puts the Outback H6 out of the picture.
outback, legacy don't matter....legacy is legacy. yea i think ur right. he's probaly looking for a regular Legacy. still just like i said before..legacy=family car.....impreza=fun personal car

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm looking for a nice performer. MY last car was a 91 Legacy Sport Sedan. I loved driving that car every minute I was in it.. I would purposely take the way of getting places. I want my next car to have the same "fun" feel that my legacy had. I'm going to test drive a 99 RS tomorrow. I want a sedan, so I'm definetly going to pass it up. I just want to drive one to see if I like it.
-Ells

·
Registered
100 Posts
the 3.0 H6 is only available in the legacy outback, which is a fat pig and accelerates to sixty in over 9 seconds. No option for the H6 on ANY other subaru as of yet, though a supercharged version in a legacy GT would make an awesome street machine! Remember though, it is much easier now adays to get parts for the 2000+ EJ25. Good luck trying to mod the H6 for a few years until subuaru start diversifying it's line up to compete better wtih Acura, Audi, and BMW.

·
It's not a GC
07 WRX Wag0nz
9,387 Posts
NAAAACEEEE!!!! Dood that's a nice ride bro!! I've always liked Legacy's GT they tite yo'!!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nitrohuffer, I was watching your progress of this bad boy on the i-club and dood, it looks sooooo nice.... how much was the entire project plus the SYMS grill?
-Ells

1 - 20 of 23 Posts