Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Wagon
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a few questions regarding this. I'll find out some more definite information tomorrow and Thursday. At my school, there is a second gen Legacy GT that they're tearing apart (it was donated by Subaru). I talked with the instructor and he said I could have whatever I would need for the swap. It's like a 50,000 mile car and ran and drove before the motor was pulled. So, questions:

Will the transmission work in my car? My car is an auto, this Legacy is a manual. I'm aware that most Subaru parts are interchangeable but I need to be sure.

Will I need the rear diff? I suppose only if mine isn't the same as the one in that car?

What exactly would I need? Yes the obvious bits like trans/clutch/pedals/linkages. But would I need the harnesses, or anything off the car that my car doesn't have/would need.

My car is going to be getting either a motor swap or the current 2.2 rebuilt (it's seen better days). Would it be easier for me to locate a running 2.5 and mate it to the Legacy trans?

Thanks for any responses!

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Wagon
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Forgot to update. Whoops. 1998 Legacy 2.5GT.

Found out:
-Trans will work.
-Diff will work.
-I know I'll need a '97 Impreza L 2.2L manual ECU.
-I know I'll need an Impreza M/T driveshaft.

Need to find out:
-Will the pedal assembly from the '98 LGT work in my car?
-Will any 97 Impreza L 2.2 M/T ECU work in my car?
-What will I have to do to make the clutch system work in my car? (Cable? Hydro?)
-Will I need a '97 Impreza L 2.2 M/T wiring harness for the trans?

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,262 Posts
Grab the master/slave cylinder from the LGT. The pedal may or may not work. Worth a try. If it doesn't work, you need one from impreza RS or Forester 5spd. You don't need any harness. You can take that fw, grab a new exedy oem replacement clutch kit.

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Wagon
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright I will grab the master/slave. Glad to know the pedals will work. Flywheel is gone. I'll have to buy one, at least they're cheap. Is there a difference between the Legacy and the Impreza clutch/flywheels?

Is there anything I will have to mess with in the automatic shifter to make the car start then? The ECU is not needed, but will it make my life easier?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Nope, the ecu won't make life any easier. You'll still have to do all the wiring just the same. including adding and wire and grounding pin 81 for the AT/MT identifier in the ecu. If not grounded the ecu will still think it's running an auto.

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Wagon
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a write-up somewhere clarifying the wiring that I'll have to be doing?

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Wagon
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm, good to know.

I've pretty much read every page of this. Starting to sound more and more straight-forward.

Just two more concerns, am I going to need a crossmember out of a manual car? and does a Subaru share master cylinders for the brake and the clutch?

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
depends on whether you have ABS or not. two ports for ABS 4 ports for non-ABS. (brakes)

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Wagon
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I read through 29 pages in information in the DIY: Auto To Manual Swap thread. Still have some questions..

So, just to make sure I have this correct this is what I have figured out so far:
(if anyone could tell me if this is what's correct or not that'd be pretty cool)

Parts
- '98 LGT uses a hydraulic clutch. I'll need the master/slave from the donor car.
- I'll need the manual starter.
- I'll get a flywheel and clutch kit for a '98 LGT.
- Need rear diff from LGT because of gear ratios (4.11).
- Need a manual Impreza driveshaft.
- Use the LGT pedal set.
- Use LGT crossmember.

Wiring
- Don't need a manual ECU. Am going to have to ground pin 81 on the ECU to for the AT/MT identifier(?)
- Am going to put the clutch switch in place, and run a wire from the ignition to it, and from it to the starter because I want to have the clutch depressed in order to start the car.
- Need to splice the neutral switch together so the car will run(?)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts