Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new winter ride, 97 Legacy wagon! anyway... the left head light is dimmer than the right on low beam. replaced the bulbs, and samething. High beams, left goes out, and right get high. Fuse in the fuse box(#29 left beam) is blown, put a new one in(head light switch on), and poped it as soon as it goes in, light switch off and same thing, pop! The voltage on the right fuse(#31 fro right light) reads .2 volts low .3 high. voltage on the left fuse reads 10.xx volts low and a little bit more high beam! swaped the relays in the fuse box from right to left, they are both good. The clip into the bulbs are not melted, and the wires from there to the fender are ok(I doubt anything in the fender is messed up) what now!

mike

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Check the ground wire from the bulb - frequently, dim headlight problems are from a bad ground or corroded electrical contacts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed it. looked at the wireing diagram in the hanyes manual. The dimm buld is a result from the power from the right bulb being back fed through the ground. The high beam indicator in the dash was also dimm, that too was back fed.

the left fuse kept blowing meaning a constant short between the fuse box and the headlight. not before the fuse box because the diod(keeps the power from going backwards) was ok. I pulled the fuse box and cover and the wire from the fuse box to the headlight was cut and grounding in the fender. ran 3 new silicone wires from the buld harnes to the fuse box. blamo, hit the switch and the entire car cought fire!!! just kidding! problem solved, and the dash light is fixed too.

the moral of the story, when you buy a new car, spend 15$ to get the hanyes manual, of a shop manual if you are cool enough to get one!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts