Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I hate to say this, but I really do hate the stock tail light design. I look at them and I think Stratus, or Geo or Sprint, something HORRIBLE! Now I know Altezza's are a no-no (and I agree because they look like shit), but I found these LED tail lights, and they're probably the best looking RICE-UP lights I've seen. Tell me your thoughts.

I KNOW YOU ALL HATE RICE.

Even the JDM tails are too bland for my taste (why'd Subaru have to wrap them around the side a bit? Hello GT-R tail lights??? Nissan knows how to do it!)

Anyhoo...pics.

With the LED rings on, it kinda reminds me of Elton John for some reason...

·
Registered
'02 PSM 2.5 RS
1,688 Posts
You're in Canada, if you want a GT-R, get one.

Personally, I'd get a '93 WRX.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol, ok, so it's settled. Elton john LED tail lights are a no-go. I was thinking about getting the Halo Angeleye headlights, but I've seen a lot of you with the stock lights with the black painted inside (i just don't wanna end up cracking my lights =/). I guess I need to just get off my ass and do it. What if I got the GT-R tail lights and just modded my rear end? lol. No? Bah.

Is there anything I can DO to my tail lights to spice them up a bit?

Thanks for the feedback ^^

·
2.0L Turboner
94 RWD WRX & 82 EJ Brat
8,673 Posts
I don't thnk they look terrible but they don't work with the car. Our cars have simple and smooth lines, and the busiest parts on the car are the hood and rear wing (if applicable).

In my opinion the best exterior aftermarket bits are the ones that look as if they are stock.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Rock blockers? Never heard of them, do tell! I tried a google search of course (before saying "eh wtf rock blocker huH?") couldn't find anything. I don't suppose you have pics or links? :p EDIT: I did a more specific google search, and found some for 08+, but not for my year. From what I can understand it's just an adhesive colored film?

Oh hey, here's a pic of my rear end....

I really want the 2.5rs coupe spoiler, I feel my current one is a tad large...

·
Registered
1998 impreza 2.5rs
630 Posts
Got pics of your car? What's done so far? Your profile says you have a 10,000k h.i.d. kit on there? If you ask me that already kinda starts a theme that is just asking for led tail lights...

Anyways, glad you decided against the led's. What exactly is it that you don't like about the stock or jdm tail lights? Try to pinpoint that, then see what can be modified from there. If you don't like the wrap around part then obviously your screwed. I think anything you do to "spice them up" would look tacky. Smoking the tail lights looks tacky to me as well, but some people like them. I love the tail lights as they are, personally. Be sure to update on what you decide on. And be sure to post pics of it when your done.

By the way, did you use the stock housing for the hid's? The reason I ask is because if you used the stock housings than you obviously don't mind blinding everyone on the road therefore you shouldn't mind what people say about led tail lights. If you did use projectors than I want to sincerely thank you for NOT being one of the three a-holes that blinded the crap out of me the other night when I was driving.

Okay, back on topic, don't be afraid to be different. If you like the led's, by all means get them! It's your car. Let the shit talkers talk shit while you stand up and defend your baby. I love my car regardless of what others say, and mines got dents and shit all over it. haha. Honestly I'd like to see something different around here for once, even if I don't care for it myself, at least it's different.

Oh, and lastly, don't be afraid of painting the headlights. It was super easy. Just follow everyones instructions on baking them and it will turn out fine. I did it and was scared the whole time, but when I was done it looked super nice. It instantly changed the personality of the entire car. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
1998 impreza 2.5rs
630 Posts
...thanks for posting a pic while I was typing and asking for a pic, now I look stupid!! HAHA. I say keep the stock lights, they look nice. Your car looks good man!

·
Registered
01 STM RS EJ257, 6MT, Brembos
2,033 Posts
Rock blockers? Never heard of them, do tell! I tried a google search of course (before saying "eh wtf rock blocker huH?") couldn't find anything. I don't suppose you have pics or links? :p EDIT: I did a more specific google search, and found some for 08+, but not for my year. From what I can understand it's just an adhesive colored film?

Oh hey, here's a pic of my rear end....

I really want the 2.5rs coupe spoiler, I feel my current one is a tad large...
^^^ Freakin' A it is a tad large. Those taillights only work on a a very limited number of vehicles. Your's is not one of the vehicles those would work with. Spend your money on JDM rear spats so the rear end is a bit more balanced instead of looking all topheavy with that giant wing. I would put that wing up for trade, it looks to me like that is an 04+ STI wing which is a popular item to some of the newer car guys.
BTW, rockblocker is a company that makes vinyl film, including film for taillights. I believe their website is rbaftermarket.com or something like that.

EDIT: here's a quick pic I dug up showing the rockblocker film on my RS:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Yeah, unfortunately I am one of those A-holes with the stock housing :x. I know I saw a DIY projector kit thingy on here, not sure where to get the projector bulb/unit itself though... I've been flashed a few times since I got them like 6 or 7 months ago... Hmmm. I think I will have to do my headlights up though for sure, especially since you told me you were scared too lol and it seemed to turn out great ^^. I was never 100% satisfied with those LED lights...they don't look bad with the LED's off though. Is there a way to "JDM" my tails? Like remove the orange?

I edited in the rear view in a previous post. Here's the front view.

All in all, it looks great (will look better if I ever find a v6 front bumper...) There may of been a DIY on the corner lights, to "clear" them, I know I saw the one to take the orange bits out, but they have like a wrinkley look to them, and I would like them to be silky smooooth.

:D

·
Registered
1998 impreza 2.5rs
630 Posts
As for the corner lights, be VERY careful! I saw posts on how some people just pulled it out, and some people chipped the edge off of the orange part then it fell out. I wrestled with mine for a long ass time and eventually got a crack on the edge of the corner lights. Nothing drastic, and nothing that will let water in, but I wasn't careful enough. I said screw it and put them back on the car. So I went to the subie dealership and bought a nice brand new pair of oem clear corners. (lot more money than doing it myself, but yeah, they are smooth and sexy!)

As for removing the orange, I think I saw a diy once on painting the orange red to match the rest of the tails, and I thought it looked super nice! I'll look for it...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey that rock blocker looks good on yours! Is it right over the stock one (with the orange) or are they jdm?

Side view!

:D

·
Banned
1994 Aegean L, 1998 Panda!
718 Posts
^^^ Freakin' A it is a tad large.

Not really... Anyway, those first LED tail lights look kinda ok. I wouldn't rock them and they probably only look good on a silver or white GC.

I really don't see what the problem is. You like them. That is all that matters.

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Not my style. I like the stock JDM lights best, honestly.

If you ask me, if it's a really updated look you want, you'll have to buy a newer car. Remember that the GC/GM/GF chassis started way back in MY1993. With a few revisions and all, but that's just life. :)

·
Registered
fast wagon, toyota 4x4
1,206 Posts
+1 for rockblocker, i think is looks AWESOME, even better than jdm tails imo. i have it on a brp coupe

1 - 20 of 27 Posts