Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza (Awaiting Swap)
762 Posts
So Im just double checking, because every post about these things seems to vary a little.

I have a 2004 Impreza 2.5RS 5-Speed.
Would a 2003 Impreza 2.5RS 5-speed swap right in? Same gear ratios and everything?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have in mind to build a 1973 4Door Sedan as rally car of the era(VHC).
I must use the EA71 engine(fat case) and I have to use some 5speed gearbox with the closest possible gear ratios(for rally use).
To build some custom gear ratios to be used with the top starter 5speed EA71 gearbox,it is very expensive to me,with unknown success(reliability).
In other hand I am searching if there is some other SUBARU FWD 5speed gearbox with close ratios to be used directly with some kind of adaptor.....
Any advice welcomed..

·
Registered
gm2 coupe / gf4/ cb7 saloon
1,838 Posts
i'm looking into replacing my open diff on my 97 1.8l brighton. and saw its a 3.90 my question is what rear diff can i get that will match up with my transmission. so i wont have to replace my transmission and be able to reuse my rear axles? i have drums in the back too, to make things worse 9_9

·
EZ GF w/Curves!
97'OBS/94'SVX LSi/00'OBS/01&#8
8,801 Posts
Drums are lighter than disc... What you should be able to do is get an RS or WRX rear diff and swap the ring and pinion out of the OBS diff into the other. They are all R160's. But I'll admit I've been wonder if I could get LSD and just shove it into something with an open diff... Or if it's just better to start with an LSD diff. Especially since I picked up a blown 2nd gear 02 WRX trans I want to rebuild on the cheap but not be missing out.

·
EZ GF w/Curves!
97'OBS/94'SVX LSi/00'OBS/01&#8
8,801 Posts
I think it falls under "it so simple it would be stupid to not work that way... But there's still that chance... To be left saying, "Well **** you too Subaru!""

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,852 Posts
my main concern was the shims under the side cap things not being right and fitting the bearings properly on the LSD versus what they were already set at for the non LSD. i went price shoppping with subaru and you can get all the things to redo all that..caps, bolts, shims, seals, and two timken bearings from AZ for about 135 bucks. whenever i have spare coin (probably never) that is my plan, and to throw one of the two wrx lsd's i have in there with it all.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts