Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though the title doesn't look like its related to dating, but I assure you guys it is an important point I want to make.

I flew home last night to see my family, and they showed me this book of middle eastern quotations about human interaction and relationships.

One (translated) quote that struck me was:

"A sharp tongue cuts deeper than a sword"

Then I thought about the western quote that Americans frequently use:

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words won't hurt me"

Although Westerners and Middle Easterners have many similar quotes, this one about actions vs. words is totally 180 degrees different.

Middle easterners, like me, place a lot more importance on words than westerners do.

I realize that may be WHY I have a difficulty SEEING the important actions BEHIND the words! And that's what has been affecting my relationships with women. Maybe that's why I didn't answer Jame's real life test question correctly... and I'm surprised that many other guys didn't get it either.

·
Zantrex-3 YES!
15,328 Posts
I don't think boh quotes are comparable. The first "A sharp tongue cuts deeper than a sword" refers to meaningful tongue lashings, words with meaning behind them, whilst the latter "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words won't hurt me" refers to mindless namecalling or poking fun.

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
2.5RSMatt said:
I don't think boh quotes are comparable. The first "A sharp tongue cuts deeper than a sword" refers to meaningful tongue lashings, words with meaning behind them, whilst the latter "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words won't hurt me" refers to mindless namecalling or poking fun.
+1, its all about perspective.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts