Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
00 Impreza Outback Sport
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I'm getting tired of smelling burnt oil on my exhaust manifold and I need help on finding what part number of valve gasket that I can replace mine with.

Here's what I have:

EJ20k STi Ver 4

If anyone have the part number for the valve gasket please let me know.

Thank you and have a Happy Holidays!!!!

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,116 Posts

·
Registered
00 Impreza Outback Sport
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much equinox92!!! You're awesome!

By the way, you have a very nice car! I enjoyed reading your journal about your car. I wish I know how to work on my Subie well just like you do. I have so much stuff that I need to take care off and fix on my car. Just to name a few...leaking valve cover, leaking power steering hoses, replace steering rack, put on my 4pot/2pot conversion, buy new suspension, fix my fuel stuff issue that I can't get gas without holding the gas pump instead of leaving it locked and so much more...AAAAHHHHHH!!!! Don't have a garage to work on the car and tools. Also, need more $$$ to keep working on them.

Anyway, I really appreciate your help on this..thank you so much! I hope it's simple enough to replace the Valve cover gaskets.

Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!!!

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,116 Posts
Thanks man! It's all easy, just gotta dig into it with no fear.

Gasket replacement is super easy. Take out the airbox (if you still have it) and it allows for a lot of work space. 45 minute job, tops.

·
Registered
00 Impreza Outback Sport
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man! It's all easy, just gotta dig into it with no fear.

Gasket replacement is super easy. Take out the airbox (if you still have it) and it allows for a lot of work space. 45 minute job, tops.
Ok thanks man! I might post it here once I get it done :D

·
Registered
00 Impreza Outback Sport
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

There's everything you need. Confirmed fitment.

Passenger Gasket is: 13270AA082

Driver's Side Gasket is: 13272AA082

More info: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/164980-equinox-s-rbp-rsti-full-v4-sti-swap-8.html#post2932819

Should be able to get them in the states at the dealer like i did since they are the same as some Legacy. I just gave the guys at the dealer the part numbers.
Just a quick question for you man, for everything in the picture did it cost you around $100 shipped? I'm buying the whole set: 2 big gasket, 4 small gasket & 10 washers. Thanks again!!!

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,116 Posts
It was all from the dealership so if i remember correctly is was close to like..250 bucks picked up right there. Was a birthday gift from my father.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
+1

Definitely use ONLY OEM parts, unless you want to do it twice.

The US model 98 dohc impreza RS has those same gasket part numbers, that is what I run on my ej20k heads.

OEM parts on fleabay:

cover gasket
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-OEM-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3387c00d7a&vxp=mtr

cover gasket other side
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Subaru-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c755ab580&vxp=mtr

plug seals, need 4
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Subaru-...998|Model:Impreza&hash=item2ecb644e9c&vxp=mtr

grommets, need 12
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-OEM-...998|Model:Impreza&hash=item2ec43be4c1&vxp=mtr

This pieced together is cheaper, if you search a little and they are genuine oem parts. There are several subaru dealers who also sell on ebay so they are legit. A lot more convenient for people who live 150+ miles from the nearest subaru dealer.

·
Registered
1998 wrx sti type r!
303 Posts
hey guys my ej20k is leaking from the valve covers also i read somewhere about halfmoons on the head do you need to replace those also? im gunna order the parts at my work "subaru" tomorrow i used the numbers u gave me equinox. i only need 10 bolt grommets? 6 on one side and 4 on the other?
13272AA082 x 1
13293AA051 x 4
13270AA082 x 1
13271AA051 x 10 not 12?
and do i need the oil seperator gasket? part number #11832AA022

these numbers are all correct? and i just wanted to make sure i know what i need and dont need. there is alot of confusing information out there about the ej20k valve covers

·
Registered
00 Impreza Outback Sport
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
+1

Definitely use ONLY OEM parts, unless you want to do it twice.

The US model 98 dohc impreza RS has those same gasket part numbers, that is what I run on my ej20k heads.

OEM parts on fleabay:

cover gasket
Subaru 13270AA082 Engine Valve Cover Gasket Valve Cover Gasket | eBay

cover gasket other side
New Subaru Factory Original Valve Cover Gasket 13272AA082 | eBay

plug seals, need 4
New Subaru Factory Original Rocker Valve Cover Gasket 13293AA051 | eBay

grommets, need 12
Subaru 13271AA051 Engine Valve Cover Grommet Valve Cover Grommet | eBay

This pieced together is cheaper, if you search a little and they are genuine oem parts. There are several subaru dealers who also sell on ebay so they are legit. A lot more convenient for people who live 150+ miles from the nearest subaru dealer.
Thanks 2slo4u! I actually found an online Subaru dealer that sells these kit for under $100 shipped! I'm gonna get it from there. Thanks for the info on the grommets I was gonna only buy 10 but I guess I need 12.

·
Registered
2001 D2 A8L
929 Posts
Just don't forget to apply fujibond (I use Permatex Ultra Greay) to the side of the gasket that goes against the head. This is what the manuals call for and will prevent premature leakage.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
Wow, I thought they only required a tiny dot of it on the four areas where the cam towers meet the flat surface (where the pointed edges of the gasket go). I only put it in those locations and zero leaks. I've never heard of the manual saying to put it on the entire gasket. ?????

·
Registered
00 Impreza Outback Sport
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just don't forget to apply fujibond (I use Permatex Ultra Greay) to the side of the gasket that goes against the head. This is what the manuals call for and will prevent premature leakage.
Thanks GeronimoRS! Happy New Year!!!

·
Registered
00 Impreza Outback Sport
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, I thought they only required a tiny dot of it on the four areas where the cam towers meet the flat surface (where the pointed edges of the gasket go). I only put it in those locations and zero leaks. I've never heard of the manual saying to put it on the entire gasket. ?????
So 2slo4u should I just put Permatex on 4 corners? Where exactly do I have to put them? Any pics that I could refer to? Thanks and Happy New Year!

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
those part #s are correct for certain production date range EJ20k, but not for all - there are multiple valvecover combos that were used on these, as well as used on USDM DOHC engines - have found out the hard way more than once. The cover shapes are the same, what differs are the little tabs. This continues into V5/6 engines as well

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
So 2slo4u should I just put Permatex on 4 corners? Where exactly do I have to put them? Any pics that I could refer to? Thanks and Happy New Year!
You just put a dot of it right where the pointed edges of the gasket would hit the corners of the front cam towers.

those part #s are correct for certain production date range EJ20k, but not for all - there are multiple valvecover combos that were used on these, as well as used on USDM DOHC engines - have found out the hard way more than once. The cover shapes are the same, what differs are the little tabs. This continues into V5/6 engines as well
You've posted this a few times but have never posted the multiple part numbers. I have never heard ANYONE have a fitment problem with using the 97-98 usdm ej25d valve cover gaskets on their V3/V4 ej20k engines. What are the part numbers for the multiple valve cover gaskets? You should list them for the OP at least. Could have sworn you mentioned there were seven combinations of ej20k valve cover gasket possibilities. :corn:

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
having been around these engines since the late 90's, and being in the business longer than tat, I've found out many things such as gasket compatibility the hard way. When you have to do a return, overseas, because the gasket you thought was right, wasn't, it sorta forces you to find out more.

For the 97-98 EJ25D, there are 3 different valvecover gaskets for each of the left and right sides. So saying to someone to just use EJ25D gaskets isn't entirely accurate - shapes are the same, but the little indented tabs vary in their location. The differences are driven by production date, and there is unfortunately no demarcation line; Subaru switched back and forth between part #'s during the engines run. In June 98 alone, there are 2 different ones, which then forces you to go by engine serial #. Some get around this by cutting them off, and using Fujibond in it's place. It can work, but it also can leak over time, forcing you to do the job again. There are further production splits among the EJ20K too, I just don't have that info immediately available to me as it's been awhile since I had to look it up. Most of the ones we supply now tend to be V5/V6 and up. Given the age of these engines, I've found it's not enough to take for granted that even a VIN # indicates the correct gasket to use. Often the case with the JDM engines too, where you just don't know the history of the engine before you acquire it. Someone could easily have needed a replacement valvecover at some point, and now the one on the engine doesn't match the serial # or production date. I had that same issue when I did my swap back in 2000 (V4 RA), and then had to replace certain gaskets before I sold the car in 2001. Interestingly, the half moon seals and spark plug seals remain the same through the production run. Like I said, very much parts bin level engines when it comes to some of this miscellaneous stuff. My guess is they had multiple suppliers for the valvecovers themselves, and the gaskets they use were based on the covers they had on hand during a given period of time. It's why unless the client has the engine apart and can take a picture of their gasket itself, so we can identify where the tabs are, I won't supply the gaskets at all, because it's not worth the chance of having to do a return if they get one that isn't 100% compatible; not everyone wants to cut up a new gasket to make it work. I wouldn't want to personally.

So if the OP ends up with the wrong one, it can still be used, but he will need to trm the mislocated tab(s) off carefully with an Xacto, not damaging the surround gasket or piercing it in any way, and using orange Fujibond to supplment.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts