Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
turbocharged mayhem
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cam seal is leaking. I put in new cam seals before i put the heads back on the engine. Last weekend changing my oil i noticed oil leaking from behind the timing cover on the driver side. I took all the stuff off and replaced the cam seal. The cam seal looked alright to me, im not sure of the install depth but i though if anything if might not have been in deep enough. I made sure to push the new seal in farther than the last one. I used a socket to push the cam seal in. I was under the car again and noticed more oil on the timing cover.

What gives?:mad: I wiped the oil off and will check again after i drive the car.

c/n: 2 new cam seals and 2 oil leaks.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
You don't say if you lubed the seals before installing, or checked to make sure the seal didn't tear while installing.

I put a thin coating of ultra grey around the outside and assembly lube all over the inside.

·
turbocharged mayhem
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didnt lube the seal, or check to see if it tore. It went on with almost no difficulty. The first seal that i pulled out looked ok. I didnt notice any tears in it. I took it out had it in my hand and said hmmm, it looks normal to me. lol I'll try the lube and ultra grey for the next one.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
One or more of mine are leaking and they are all new from when I changed the timing belt and sealed the oil pump. I used lube on all four and they are not torn. Maybe there is just too much blowby and its forcing oil out of the seals. :(

·
Registered
MY01 2.5 rs Black
696 Posts
Make sure to install them ALL THE WAY IN. There's a lip in the back of the head that won't let it go too far in, and you ought to put them in until they touch that lip. They should also be a tight fit. Your description of "went on with almost no difficulty"... They should require some pounding with a socket and a hammer... did they give you the right ones?

Not that I'm doubting you... just trying to help! :D

·
Registered
'98 2.5 RS
763 Posts
what is this "ultra grey" you guys speak of?

im doing my timing belt and this is the next step in the process. let me make sure i have this right: take off the cam and crank sprockets; take the seals out; grease the new seals with "ultra grey" (how much should i use???); then put them in using a socket and mallet (what size socket??) until they wont go any further in.
is there anything else i need to know or do?

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Permatex Ultra Grey, as in silicone sealant. Don't put that on the inside of the seal!!! ;) Grease the inside as well as the camshaft itself.

There's an oil hole on that lip, so I don't like to drive the seal all the way into it. I usually don't drive them in past the small chamfer on the outer edge. Some seals, like the rear main, will most definately leak if you drive it in too far.

·
Registered
'98 2.5 RS
763 Posts
Grease the inside as well as the camshaft itself.
by inside i assume u mean the inside of the cyl head walls around the cam.
do you have anything in the way of a DIY on cam and/or crank seals?
is there any trick to taking out the seals? my friend seems to think it will involve destroying the old seals.

what did you use to drive the seals in?

thanks a bunch

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
By "inside", I mean inside the seal....as in, where it physically touches the cam. Drive them in with a large socket. Keep it squared up to the head. Don't go crazy with it, be gentile.

Removing the seals can be done many different ways. Whatever you do, just don't score the cam surface where the seal will run. Sometimes a small pick will pull them out, sometimes you have to run a drywall screw into the metal part of the seal and use vicegrips and a hammer to tap it out.

If all else fails, take off the valve cover and those cam caps. Once those are off, you can push the seals off with your thumb.

·
Registered
'98 2.5 RS
763 Posts
thats the number for the DOHC. i THINK its the same number/part. btw get yourself some dental picks for extraction (bee careful not to scratch the head when you take the seals out). i used a 36mm deep socket to seat the seals (made it real easy).

·
Registered
99 2.5RS
81 Posts
Permatex Ultra Grey, as in silicone sealant. Don't put that on the inside of the seal!!! ;) Grease the inside as well as the camshaft itself.

There's an oil hole on that lip, so I don't like to drive the seal all the way into it. I usually don't drive them in past the small chamfer on the outer edge. Some seals, like the rear main, will most definately leak if you drive it in too far.
I am guessing you grease the inside with engine oil? sorry just making sure.

Also, how do you know when you have driven the seal far enough? I am having trouble understanding what you mean by the "small chamfer on the outer edge".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts