Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ive read that alot of you have done this and i want to do it, but dont know where to get it or how to do it. I currently have my radio in the oem gauge pod uptop. And ive always wanted to put an lcd screen in the center dash, where the double din radio used to be. Now do i have to go to a car audio shop and get it custom fitted? with fiberglass and all... or will i be able to get a screen that will fit fine with no gaps..and the mounting woudl be easy and such? i currently now have a pioneer dehp6300...can you all give me some suggestions on what to get? where to go and such..and hte mounting of it? im will to buy the screen and such, but i dont really want whoever to start cutting up my dash you know....

·
Registered
Blue 99 2.5RS, blue 02 wrx wag
83 Posts
I don't beleive that there is any monitor that would just drop right in if there was I think that you would see more people with it. Thats why most people use the flip out kind because it's mounting is like a traditional deck. To get a monitor looking right in that slot you will have to make some sort of facia out of wood/fiberglass/plastic whatever that will cover up the voids. You will also have to fab a mount for the minitor itself. Both of these things could be done by an experienced shop or by yourself if you have the time. As for what kind of monitor I wouldn't know cuz I don't have one myself.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi,

I did this setup in my car:

You should be able to do something similar on yours, although
your viewing posistion may be too high.

Matt

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Is that a G-Tech in the dash next to the cupholder? How did you do that?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks!

I'm doing one for Eric M in SOCAL this weekend :)

That unit next to the cup holder is an Apexi Turbo Timer.

Matt

·
Registered
29 Posts
mattjk,

I want to mimic your setup. I have 2 important questions..

1) Whats the size of the lcd screen that you are using?

2) I see that you moved your stereo.. I'm guessing that you used the oem center gauge housing minus the gauges. Are there any modifications that you had to do that aren't outwardly apparent?

That set up is very slick.

For the rest of you...

I'm wanting to put in a gps system... After tinkering around with the idea, I'm thinking about trying to put a DIY mini computer system in the car... I got the idea from http://www.gnetcanada.com/index2.htm who actually sells these systems.

It would be neat to be able to do gps, play mp3s & divx movies, and have it networked wirelessly to my home computers. I'm just running into the problem of how to power a computer which sits in my car. After searching the web alittle.. I found http://home.austin.rr.com/sshipman/lorelei/

apparently all he did was just use a power inverter.. any ideas?
If i just used a power inverter and lets say drove for 13 hours straight.. wouldn't this just suck the crap out of my battery?

or is all of this just a really dumb idea and I shouldn't attempt it?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thats awesome, but i still got no answer..

who makes these screen? i know natedogg did it in a rs, but he fronts and never gives me any info... anyone else done this in an rs, i know it can be done. But i just want to same time and maybe returns and just find otu what screen can fit,,,,just make it plan and simple people.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
I followed mattjk's post on NASIOC and put one in my GC8. Really kinda easy. Glare and viewing angle aren't a problem.

Throw a cheap dvd player under the seat and you're set. The whole setup cost me around $470 total for the 7" LCD screen, DVD/MP3 player and an AiNet to RCA adapter.

- Adam

·
Registered
80 Posts
Is it possible to move the air/heater controls down to the bottom on the center dash so the lcd screen could be higher..... better viewing??????

Kurt

·
Registered
01 BRP RS
131 Posts
where would you get a GPS unit to work with those screens?

where would you mount the GPS so it got a good signal?

I need it

Visor mounted GPS :drool:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so who makes these monitors, i want to know so i can get one and hook it up.... for the gc8s? anyone...nate DogGg never got back to me neither

·
Registered
42 Posts
Anyone put a dingle din flip out screen in the guage cluster housing? I am interested in doing this because the screen is more in your line of vision while driving. Any opinions on doing this? Also, what would you do with the old stereo location?

BTW I have an '05 RS

·
Registered
295 Posts
Eclipse makes a really cool double din with nav, dual trays so you can listen to tunes and still have nav, all in one no seperate brain needed, my dream is to pick one up

1 - 19 of 19 Posts