Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Lateral Links... Question

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  RoadRunner 
#1 ·
I'm adding a RSB to my FWD 93 L Wagon. Will the rear lateral links from an AWD Impreza bolt up? (The ones that the endlink bolts to.)

Thanks

#3 ·
Thanks - I was just wondering why Subarupartsforyou.com has two different P/N's. One for FWD and one for AWD. But as long as they will fit...

I'm going to have a shop swap out the lateral links, mainly because I don't have the right tools to do it myself.

Do you have the P/N's for the nuts and bolts I'll need? Where's the best place to get them?

#4 ·
aegean93l said:
Do you have the P/N's for the nuts and bolts I'll need? Where's the best place to get them?
I just put Whiteline lateral links on my car, and decided to buy the necessary bolts ahead of time, since they do have a reputation for snapping. On the plus side, this reputation means that just about any Subaru dealer will have the part in stock, and will know its part number by heart.

I was fortunate; mine came out with only a little persuasion. My friend wasn't so lucky.

Stuart.

#6 ·
Thanks for the link, coger.
Am I going to need the inner bolts too?

I think I have already found all of the parts I need... correct me if I'm wrong:
Lateral links from evil-sti.
Rear sway bar from Carisma
Endlinks from subaruwrxparts.com
04 WRX mounts from subaruwrxparts.com
And now, bolts and nuts from subarupartsforyou.com

#7 ·
The front inner bolt has a dust cap on the thread end so it should be in good shape.
The rear inner bolt provides camber adjustment; if you have adjustable lateral links, you can buy the whiteline bolts that eliminate the camber adjustment.

You will need 4 bolts to fasten the rsb mounts to the frame.
Also four bolts and nuts to fasten the endlinks, I dont think they are usually included with new endlinks.

#10 ·
Next question... My car is FWD, but I'm using the rear lateral links from an AWD. Which bolts do I order?

Bolt for lateral link outer 2WD... 20540AA010
Bolt for lateral link outer AWD... 20540AA000

Anyone know what the difference is??? Which ones do I need?

#11 ·
coger83 said:
The rear inner bolt provides camber adjustment; if you have adjustable lateral links, you can buy the whiteline bolts that eliminate the camber adjustment.
Those bolts provide toe adjustment. If you have adjustable lateral links, camber and toe are changed by adjusting the length of the arms themselves, so adjusting the inboard bolt for toe is pretty redundant.

If you have fixed length lateral links, you need to keep the toe adjusting bolts, and would have to get either camber bolts or camber plates if you wanted to adjust the camber. Or slot the bolt holes on the struts etc etc.

Stuart.

#12 ·
I was under the impression this couldn't be done because of how the lateral links bolt to the rear cross-member. You would need an AWD cross-member, in order to bolt up the lateral links properly, and as a result you would need an AWD fuel tank, etc.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45405&highlight=FWD+RSB

Post#5
wal.lin said:
No, I already have 2 of them. I'm just saying that your DIY is missing the major part of needing a awd rear crossmember or a new long bolt that will work with the awd latteral links. I already tried putting on awd latteral links on a fwd car and its not going to work without either a new skinner long bolt or an awd rear diff xmember.

Summary, your DIY is uncomplete and only works for a awd impreza.

Well either that or find some funky aftermarket bolts....

#13 ·
I converted my car from FWD to AWD and the rear cross memeber on the FWD is a ton smaller. you wouldn't be able to bolt up an AWD hub on a FWD rear crossmemeber due to the length.

the rear of the impreza that bolts up the crossmemeber theres 6 or 8 total bolt holes and you only use 4 for the crossmemeber the center one is the locking.

#15 ·
Thanks for the heads up, dumbuglydragon. I actually rememebr reading that thread a while ago, but I totally forgot about it.

So, it would still be possible to use the two rear AWD lateral links and two front FWD lateral links if I find the right bolts, right? Does anyone know what size bolts I would need?

I don't want to get into swapping gas tanks and x-members, I just want a rear sway bar!

#18 · (Edited)
DumbUglyDragon said:
I was under the impression this couldn't be done because of how the lateral links bolt to the rear cross-member. You would need an AWD cross-member, in order to bolt up the lateral links properly, and as a result you would need an AWD fuel tank, etc.

Well either that or find some funky aftermarket bolts....

you're right. but, you dont need a rear cross member. what i found was the inner lateral link bolts are to big for the awd lat. links. so i tried one of the outer later link bolts and it worked like a charm. so, you need to pick up 2 outer lateral link bolts aswell as the lat. links.

bolt size is 17mm, you can re-use you rear fwd lat. links, the ones w/o the swaybar bracket. what's easiest is going to your local junkyard and picking you 2 extra bolts that connect the lateral links to the knuckle

#19 ·
imprezaL2345 said:
you're right. but, you dont need a rear cross member. what i found was the inner lateral link bolts are to big for the awd lat. links. so i tried one of the outer later link bolts and it worked like a charm. so, you need to pick up 2 outer lateral link bolts aswell as the lat. links.

bolt size is 17mm, you can re-use you rear fwd lat. links, the ones w/o the swaybar bracket. what's easiest is going to your local junkyard and picking you 2 extra bolts that connect the lateral links to the knuckle
What do you mean, I can re-use my rear lateral links? Don't I need AWD lateral links so that they have a swaybar bracket?

So, if I re-use the front lateral links, and use AWD rear lateral links that have a swaybar bracket, then I can use an outer lateral link bolt for the inner bolt?

#21 ·
aegean93l said:
What do you mean, I can re-use my rear lateral links? Don't I need AWD lateral links so that they have a swaybar bracket?

So, if I re-use the front lateral links, and use AWD rear lateral links that have a swaybar bracket, then I can use an outer lateral link bolt for the inner bolt?
no, there are 4 lateral links in the rear, the front and rear-rear lateral links. you can re-use the front lat. links.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.