Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

341 - 357 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
2000 BRP Coupe
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
No wagon unfortunately George, I was looking for a GR hatch but I just couldn't pass up on the deal I was getting on the 15

Baby Lux?
Still a lady ;)

Thanks!

Plans for the 15'?
No mods right now, trying to finish the Rookie season in BS, so maybe next year I'll doing mods for STU, lol. I will say though.. the car almost needs nothing, it handles amazingly and the power is just right. With some ZIIs it should do really well.

Congrats again on the new ride, Gene!
Thanks Beccccaa :drunk:

·
Registered
2000 BRP Coupe
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
Awesome. I still want a '15 for a daily.
It makes a great daily/weekend warrior for sure. The ride is not too too bad, it's stiff around the streets but the suspension absorbs minor potholes and grooves pretty well (and right now most of our roads are crap in CT).

·
Registered
2000 BRP Coupe
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #349
I need a new phone/camera--

V-Limited Poly Rep for DD duties so I won't feel as bad if I scrape it (which I've unfortunately done on the front bumper on stock ride height lol)

·
Registered
100% stock 93 fwd Impreza
2 Posts
I won this car. I have some questions for the guy who built it. Long story short the kid who lost it wasn’t very happy about it and high revved it until the sending unit broke dumping oil everywhere which either broke or chipped the piston rings before I could get him out of the car. We both signed our titles and handed them to a third party person we both agreed upon winner took both titles i need to know if it’s using aftermarket rings or if it’s using stock sti rings so I can order replacements to repair it and sell it. Runs and drives still. Just smokes like crazy. Also I need information on the tune the highest fuel we can buy in Vegas is 91 oct unless we pay ~6.00 a gallon for 93

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 BRP Coupe
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #356
Oh man! It's crazy how much this car has traveled since I sold it. I think it changed hands at least 3 or 4 times! Towstrap reached out to me in PM and told me the whole story, maybe he can chime in again on how it all went down. I miss that old coupe, it's ironically in Vegas where I'm about 5 hours away from now :lol:

TL;DR - previous owner raced him in a 5 mile race, coupe had the dig and lead till about 110 mph and it started to smoke. Couldn't catch up at the turn around. Would've loved to see a video of it!

·
Registered
100% stock 93 fwd Impreza
2 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. It’s been super hectic here. Still haven’t gotten around to fixing it. It’s still sitting in my driveway. I’ve pretty much overloaded myself with these things. Just starting to get to work on all of them. Kinda sad both Imprezas ate dirt within the same week. Mine wasn’t as noticeable but shortly after this post my hybrid started telling me knock knock jokes. Had to switch to ol faithful for the time being. Both “lady lux” and “towstrap” are down. My 95 just became smog exempt so I’m fighting the dmv for that. My 02 is starting the fatal spiral of a minor coolant leak from the back of the cylinder head. Woohoo 251’s
I lost your number when I got a new phone. I’ll snag it from my inbox in a few moments and hit you up tomorrow.
Plans for now.
Keep topping off coolant in the 02
Assemble the second hybrid, trash the gt3582R go to a smaller turbo or twins
I’ve been stuck figuring out where I want to take towstraps second build up. Initially I bought towstrap stock 1993 impreza L wagon 1.8L fwd.
Jacked it up on junk (family owns a salvage yard here in town that specializes in Japanese imports so sourcing parts was easy and cheap, just had to be patient.)
Ditched the ej18 for an ej22e ditched the fwd trans for a p2 cable electric 5MT. No my speedo doesn’t work.
Once I got comfortable notched the engines subframe and slapped a td04 on the 289k donor engine did not last long. Searched online for a suitable build. Ended up building my first ej22T/25D hybrid threw the td04 on it. Wasn’t fast enough, also took a major hit at the factory axles. Lifespan on average for the front axels was about 6 months. But with a pretty much unlimited supply I’d just replace them with salvaged units. Had a 2g gsx come through with a 63mm Garrett 3582R took the flange and turbo chopped off the subie turbo mount welded the T4 flange on and rarely ever got into boost. The night I won this car I turned the controller up way higher than I should’ve. Too much air. Not enough fuel. I did some serious damage to my engine that I was not aware of until about a week after the fact. I’ve tinkered with them both and have narrowed lady lux we call it blubaru down to failed ringlands or a blown HG. Towstrap was easy to diagnose as it is for sure knocking failed bearing. The 95 I’ve been slowly piecing together is an uphill battle with the dmv. Nothing on it is factory original but they are all factory parts just without front axels they’re claiming it needs to be factory original in order to be considered smog exempt. Tried smogging it Only reason it was failed is because the tech could not locate an EGR system on a car that’s supposed to be equipped with an egr system. 98 OBS ecu doesn’t detect EGR. No check engine light passes on its own legitimately. Have to wait 90 days from the 2nd before I can try again. So I’ve been stuck in the stock 02 TS for 7 months until now with the hg leak. I’m going to do a compression and leak down test on the engines I’ve picked up over the past 7 months in the AM after dropping the gf off at work. I did have a tuner come check out the AEM unit on blubaru fuel cut off is set to 112mph? Actually think this is why my wagon got it. I have 2 ej257s (salvaged units) that test good. 150psi-151 psi across all 4 cylinders with 0-3% leak don’t knock when cranked on my stand. I do have another ej22T/25D hybrid assembled with the exception of its tensioner/belt.
This is where it gets overwhelming.
I remember you showing me the initial build thread and you telling me it’s a stock ej257 block. If it is ringland will just use the 132k engine I have an keep the heads it’s currently using. Need to know which head gaskets you used. Sell the 257 heads and scrap the torched block.
Towstrap is going to go one of two ways. A single vf39, or dual td04’s.
The idea behind this car was to be something fun/different BUILT ON FACTORY READILY AVAILABLE PARTS with three things in mind. Safety being #1. Reliability being #2. And budget. With a salvage yard at my disposal a lot of the parts are cheap if not free.
I.e engines with trans run me 250
Turbos run me 12.00 I have a ton of td04’s I only have one vf39 towstrap while reduced to a metal shell with a dashboard and seats fabrication is expensive. Roll cage, custom front end,rear guards, roof rack, gas tank protector and oil pan protector ran me 5k
Somewhere along the lines of salvage yard one shot engine hrsprs I lost sight of the reliability factor. I can run the vf39 but with the 7.5:1 comp ratio on the hybrid id stress the only one I got out, thus sacrificing durability of it. But on the other hand if I run 2 td04’s I can limit them to ~11psi each which is lower than their factory setting iirc (14psi) extending the life of the turbos. This car was never meant to be “fast” it was meant to be a “im going out to wherever I want to go mountains, desert, woods ect and it’ll get me there without breaking down.” Car. Now that I’m back on track and partially due to the 02 about to eat coolant like it’s a job I need to start finishing my projects and repairing the other subarus I own.
I know the vf39 is a solid turbo, on the trade I have 9 td04’s all factory with the actuator shaft? still in tact and 3 others with it removed. With the garret I had massive amounts of turbo lag. Big reason why I want to go back to a smaller turbo or turbos.
Goal for blubaru fix instead of challenging it to who can blow fatter clouds
Goal for towstrap -
Ej22T/25D
Slightly upgraded stronger helical gears. cable 5MT w/electronic speed sensor.
~300-315 bhp ~325-330ftlbs currently at knock, knockhp and who’s thereftlbs
Reliable ideally downtuned to operate efficiently at ~75% capability
On demand power response
Factory readily available parts
Goal for the 95
Ej222
~250hp ~300ftlbs (208hp, 219ftlbs)
-rwd (currently cable 5MT analog speed sensor short geared with no front axels)
On demand power response
-factory subaru parts
Goal for the 02
Drive the 251 until it dies.
Swap in 04 STI everything. Everything is from an 04 WRX STI roll over.
Reliability, economy but not completely boring and not keeping the ej251
Give to gf
Opinions or advice appreciated. Sorry this comment ended up being way longer than anticipated.

341 - 357 of 357 Posts