Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, let me see if i'm understanding this,.....

the kyb's are not designed for lowered cars more than like 1.5 inches or so. meaning that the struts on a lowered car will be at the bottom of thier travel all of their life?
now, does this mean that it's probably a bad idea to put them with eibach's being that they lower the car up to an inch?
do the struts being on a lowered car mean their life expectancy just got really short? is that from alot more stress than normal?
will putting them on a lowered car make it like all those honduh's out there that bounce down the road? please someone set me strait.

-brian

·
Registered
27 Posts
A LOT of people run RS's with the KYB AGX and Eibach Pro Kit combo (including me). The car is not lowered that much, in fact, I can hardly notice a drop in the front at all, and the rear is about an inch lower. The springs do not exceed the 1.5" drop that will void the warrenty of the struts.

You won't be boucing like the Honduh's. Those guys put lowering springs in with the stock dampers, or even worse, just cut the springs. This causes the car to bounce a few times after each bump.

With the AGX/Eibach setup turned to full stiff (4/8) your actually over damping the springs and it just makes the ride stiff. If you hit a few bumps in a row, it feels like the car is bouncing, but it's not, the suspension just isn't travellng.

If you can deal with the harsh ride it's an amazing setup, the car has almost zero body roll in the corners, and no dive and squat on braking/accel.

If your going on a hot date, adjust the struts down to 2/4 or 1/2. That should keep the complaints down from the passenger seat!

I ran my struts on 2/4 for less than 2 hours before cranking it up to full stiff. The ride was comfortable and the handling was far better than stock.

There are 4 adjustments on the front under the hood on the top of the strut, and 8 adjustments on a dial behind the strut on the rear. The only bad thing is that you have to lie on the ground and remember which way to turn the dial for the rear. As long as you didn't park in mud it only takes about 4 minutes to adjust all four struts.

After having said all that, I highly recomend this setup as an alternative to spending twice the money on coilovers. Don't forget to pick up camber bolts for the rear so you can dial out some of the negative camber that comes from the drop.

Chris M.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow chris,...thanks for the indepth answer i was looking for.:biggest:

-brian

·
Registered
27 Posts
He he. I didn't even mean to type that much... I'm just so happy with the new setup I had to tell someone! :)

Chris M.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I second everything Chis said. I usually ride on the 3/6 setting, because it gets a little rough on the crappy SoCal freeways. It's a great setup for the price.

·
Premium Member
98 RS - RIP
563 Posts
Good thread. I have two questions to add... is it necessary or recommended to get camber bolts for the front shocks as well as the back? Also, it seems wierd to me that the Eibach Pro Kit drops the rear more than the front. Why is this? I have been looking for some pictures, and can only imagine that it would make the car look wierd.

Jonathan

·
Registered
27 Posts
You will need camber bolts for the rear. After the drop there is about 1.5 deg. of negative camber that you'll want to dial out.
There is enough adjustment in the front because the front already has camber bolts.

I thought it would look wierd too have the front lowered more than the rear. It doesn't thought :)

According to Eibach the drop is 1.0" in the front and 1.2" in the rear... .2" is not really noticable.

Chris M.

·
Premium Member
98 RS - RIP
563 Posts
Good stuff Chris. That sounds like the setup I will be going for when I can raise the cash in a few months. Good thing Pro Kit springs can be had for pretty cheap nowadays... I still havn't seen any pics of the car though, after being setup like that. Do you have any?

jonathan

·
Registered
27 Posts
No pics yet... The winter has been pretty messy in Toronto and no one wants to see pictures of a dirty car covered in raod salt...

There is a Solo II this sunday, I'll post as many pics as I can! I'll try and get some "action" shots so you can see just how little body roll there is now :)

Chris M.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, I forgot the camera at the race but there is another race on the 26th.

Here is a picture to show the drop after the Eibach Pro-Kit springs are in.

Unfortunately I can't find any pics around that show the car before the drop, but I'm sure most you know what a stock RS looks like! :>

Chris M.

·
Registered
2017 Focus RS
563 Posts
This will be the setup I plan to install this spring after I get my federal tax return so I can order the rest of the setup. The only thing is I plan to add both front and rear Cusco adjustable camber plates. That could be another option for you, they only do camber, no castor, but they are a pillow ball mount.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the cusco camber plate for both front and rear. Unless your getting a really good deal on them I suggest your get the Cusco adjustable camber plates for the front, and STi (or other non-adjustable) pillow-ball mount for the rear.

The reason is that the adjustable mounts in the rear are almost useless, the opening for the top of the strut leave you almost no room for adjustment.

Just get the Eibach Camber bolts for the rear.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris M.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.