Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

For daily/autoX/rallyX which would you choose?

• KYB GR2's, cheaper and effective

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • KYB AGX, adjustability is worth the extra coin

Votes: 44 67.7%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I have a 97 Brighton 2.2 Impreza and want to upgrade my suspension. Current mods are 22mm Whiteline FSB & Whiteline Steel end-links.

She is a daily driver, and 1-2 times a month autocrosser, with plans of doing rallycross this year as well. I will be running stock springs to stay in stock class, please keep that in mind.

Within my budget I've narrowed my choices to:
KYB GR2 $350
or
KYB AGX Adjustable $580

Sourced from:
Performance Suspension for Impreza, Legacy and Forester

I've previous ran the GR2's on a Forester and it was a huge upgrade over stock blown struts, but I'm wondering if the AGX's would be even better now for the benefit of adjustability. Are they worth the extra money?

So with my daily and race plans in mind, which would you choose?

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
Personally, i would use TireRack for the AGX stuff.

First off, The AGX adjustability is something i use, in winter, i loosen them up since i'm on snows and often shittier road conditions. In the summer, i tighten them up for better handling on clean dry roads.

You can also dial in how much under or oversteer you want by adjusting stiffness front vs rear.

AGX's you can also set to stock so you can use them with stock springs to start untril you upgrade your springs as well. Matching rates with springs means better longevity of the parts.

As for why tire rack. Customer service. They will send you a replacement to your house under warranty so you can never have the car out of comission. Swap the struts and then ship the blown one back. You just can't beat it. Their prices aren't bad either. Check them out. Generally i get free shipping from them and it's only like 2-3 days before i have my parts.

A friend bought struts from a local dealer that went out of business and had to deal with a mess when it came time for warranty replacements.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good info, thanks for sharing.

as far as going with matching rate springs, I'm actually now considering upgrading the springs as well with "Eibach Pro Kit", would that be a better match vs stock springs?

and I will definitely considering getting both from tirerack

·
Registered
2015 WRX+TE37ta
4,819 Posts
Well IMO. the Eibach springs pretty much feel like stock, they're more for the 20mm drop than for the increase of spring rate.

NorthUrsalia.com: Spring Rate Chart

Same goes with the GR2's. They're good struts, and yes they're slightly stiffer than stock, but they're supposed to be stock replacements. If you really want the upgrade in stiffness and adjustability, the AGX are definitely better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I'm not too concerned about lowering, but I would like matching springs if I go with the AGX's

will the stock springs really wear out the struts faster? I only plan to turn up the adjustment for the races, and likely keep it at 1 for the street.

·
Registered
2005 Saabaru 2.5i
376 Posts
will the stock springs really wear out the struts faster? I only plan to turn up the adjustment for the races, and likely keep it at 1 for the street.
Stock springs won't wear them out faster, but you COULD upgrade them to something stiffer for better performance - assuming you don't mind the stiffer springs on a daily basis. The AGX can handle somewhat stiffer springs easily. I ran STi pinks with mine for about 100K, and all was good.

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS SRP sedan
593 Posts
Everyone here needs to know this so they aren't misled by the intent of kyb marketing

The GR2 line of shocks and struts are intended to be used with original springs with high mileage. The 15% increase in valve firmness is incorporated in an effort to rejuvenate old and tired suspensions. It's not intended to be a performance variant. Using these shocks will bring back the showroom-new feel to stock suspensions. If you decide to use these in a high performance application, keep in mind that they will likely not be up to your expectations especially if you're going aggressive with the rates.

Id say to for the agx right off the bat. Settings 1/2 on the f/r are stock valving. 2/4 on f/r are on par with the gr2 valving. Settings 3/6 on f/r are approx 25/30% stiffer iirc the conversation I had over the phone. The 4/8 (max) on f/r settings are like 50% over stock but few suspensions will be matched to this setting and tend to result in cars hopping and skidding thru turns. Most of our off-the-shelf springs will like the mid-range settings for high performance driving experiences.
:)

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
I have used both. GR-2 Great Daily Driver

AGX for any type of competition (for the adjustability).

But, I wouldn't own either after using and loving everything about Tokico Spec-D's!!!!
Far better product with MUCH more adjusability!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes I'd love me a set of koni's, but they are out of my budget for a full set.

I think I will go with the AGX's and stock springs for my final decision. And most likely order from tirerack

Thanks for all the help and suggestions folks :projectsti.com:

·
Registered
in pieces
140 Posts
for what it's worth I've had quite a few different suspension setups on my 01 rs coupe. I finally ended up with the gr2's with eibach pro springs. This is after the stock suspension, d2 coilovers, different rate spings with the d2's, bilstein inverted struts with some sort of spirngs, the bilstiens with the eibach pros, and then finally I bought the gr2s.

I don't know what it is in particular about the subaru suspension geometry, but it makes tiny bumps feel like mountians. It just isn't very good for comfort outside of it's factory settings. before I put my car down to swap it, I daily drove it. I drove it an average of 70 miles a day and my back paid the price. I serisouly went to a chiropracter. The stock subaru seats are ultra crappy too, (at least my rs ones were) I upgraded my driver seat to a bride gias and with that combod with the gr2's no more back issues.

The best thing about gr2's is that they're cheap. I got my set off ebay for $260 shipped. That was about the cost of one bilstien strut. They are a marked improvement over the stock struts, but not much. and that's just what I wanted. I wanted something firmer than stock, but I didn't want to give up my ride quality. I'll be in the car A LOT and it just simply isn't worth setting up the suspension to race spec when i'll only be using it like that less than 1% of the time. cars like these are already fun, but you can easily go overboard. just because some things cost more, or look really cool doesn't mean they're actually better. haveing the best setup that suits the majority of your needs is always the best.

·
Registered
95 Coupe
435 Posts
...The GR2 line of shocks and struts are intended to be used with original springs with high mileage. The 15% increase in valve firmness is incorporated in an effort to rejuvenate old and tired suspensions. It's not intended to be a performance variant. Using these shocks will bring back the showroom-new feel to stock suspensions. If you decide to use these in a high performance application, keep in mind that they will likely not be up to your expectations especially if you're going aggressive with the rates.
I first swapped out my oem L suspension with high mileage (80,xxx) RS springs and struts. Rode fine, as I only DD my car. Thought it was pretty good, didn't think it could get any better.

Then found low mileage GR-2. Kept RS springs. Had a see saw effect, even on the freeway. Like the axles were not bouncing together. Like the front end would bounce different in relation to the rear, like the front would bounce a lot and the rear didn't bounce at all.

Finally I found some high mileage v5 STi Type R springs. Kept the gr-2 and now its super smooth. Very comfortable and handles really well. A little bouncy during low speeds, (probably from the progressive rear springs) but high speeds its really smooth, soaks up bumps really well. I love these springs.

I don't autox/rallyx but weird how changing one thing and expecting no difference does actually make a big difference. and that I think springs make a huge difference, but will depend on the condition of the struts.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I got new GR2's off ebay for $160, they are great for the price, are pretty stiff with a 20mm sway bar and RS springs. Car is nice and comfy with them and it handles nice too. Much better than with the megan racing coilovers.

The thing about adjustable shocks is whether you're going to be adjusting them. When I had konis on my crx I usually set them to full soft unless I was going to the track. If you're not tracking the car then adjustable shocks aren't worth the price.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.