Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
00' 2.5rs w/04 wrx full swap
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I have been lowered on coilover springs for over a year now with no problems and I have been toying with the idea of getting some kyb agx struts to hopefully eliminate the bounce I get when I hit bumps. I don't mind a harsh ride (better than bouncy) I'm not sure how low I am cause I didn't measure the drop, but on stock tires and wheels I have 0 wheel gap, mabey enough room for a penny.

anyways my question is will the kyb agx struts be helpfull at all or is my ride to low to be helped. for referance I don't scrape on anything.
also I was going to start auto-x this year and I was thinking being as low and stiff as possible would be the best but should I raise my car a bit or am I correct.
thanks

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
KYB AGX has a good warrenty, but lowering more than 1.5 inches voids it. (KYB says they will not replace any strut if it was lowered more than 1.5 inches, and they say they can tell by looking at the piston rod)
It sounds like your drop is at least 2 inches.
Being that low, you will only be using a small fraction of the suspension travel, which in my experience is what causes bounce and strut damage.
My old springs were a 1.6 inch drop, and the rear struts are showing wear in only 4 months.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Two friends of mine have the AGX's and both are dropped. Couldn't tell you how much though. Anyway, the ride is solid, not bouncy. Firm, yet comfortable. Other than struts, Springs would make a big difference. Are you planning to change springs as well?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
my KYB's didnt make it 3 months on my H&R springs...
blew a strut...

luckily for me, i got it warrantied...

then sold the suspsension and got DMS ;)

if you get the AGX's.... DONT put them on a lowered car.

cheers
Jamie - www.subiegalracing.com

·
Registered
347 Posts
Would AGXs work with stock springs, or would that be too bouncy?

·
Registered
1995 Open Light rally car
19 Posts
KYB AGXes are EXCELLENT on stock springs. They feel like stock when they're set at the softest settings, but when you turn them up, the car is really firm but comfortable (soaks up the bumps and asks for more) - but it does bounce a little when cruising down the road. I had lowering springs on the car, and the ride sucked * - very bouncy going down the road when set on anything other than softest settings, and crashed when going over bigger bumps on any setting. Springs lowered the car 1" in front, 1.5" in rear. I'm putting STi group N top hats on tonight; I'll see what difference it makes. Next week I'll be getting SPT springs and installing them probably next weekend. Then I'll know what all the different variations on springs/ tophats/ struts feels like - except STi tophats on stock springs and struts, which would be pointless...

Okay, out to the garage!

later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts