Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 2.5RSt
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every site that sells that KW V1 (10245001) or V3 has this warning:
When using original tires, wheel offset spacers maybe required.

What is this all about ?
Is it a generic warning for all KW's ?

I have 18" Rims, but I want to be able to use my original 16" rims for snow tires.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
2000 2.5RSt
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should have asked:
Did anyone use the KW V1 or V3 with stock wheels ?

I just don't see how thin coilovers would hit something where a much fatter spring used to reside.

·
Registered
2013 FR-S
2,116 Posts
The coilover spring can protrude farther into the wheel well than the original coil spring. It's not as big around but it can come down lower on some setups, thus being closer to the wheel.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS - #74 ST
129 Posts
That will depend on the ride heights you're trying to achieve, the total spring lengths, the offset of the wheels you're using, and the size of the tire. The front isn't a problem in general, and most of the fitment issues below apply to 225/50-16 or 225/45-17 tires. Stock offsets and tire sizes should have far less (if any) issues.

The rear however, is where it gets tricky, especially on our GC/GM/GF chassis where there isn't a lot of space in the fender well. I could not get anything lower than 14.5" (guessing a bit here, it's been a while) with the following:

• RCE Tarmac 2s
  • 7" (or longer) main springs with stock KW/RCE tenders
  • '04 STi BBS with 225/45-17 tires
The problem is that the lower spring perch doesn't clear the tire without raising the ride height and/or going to 0* camber. One option is to run a lower (effective) offset wheel, but I couldn't do that without interfering with the fender. So instead, I opted to run a 6" main spring plus the tenders. Clearance was still pretty tight, but I had no issues running 13.5".

·
Registered
2000 2.5RSt
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a pretty detailed answer recnelis. Clearly shows me how noob I am on suspension subject. I got the KW V1 today. I thought about it long and decided that I am never going to adjust anything, so why pay $500 more for it.
I bought the front camber plates, but for the back I cheaped out and got the camber bolts.
So, basically you are saying that if I start hear crazy rubbing noises in the back, just adjust to 0 camber. That sounds reasonable, since then I would have the snow tires on.

Not sure what spring length is default on KW V1, but, it's good to know I can change it to something that fits better.

Last question: what's this 14.5" and 13.5"? Distance from where to where ? What's the stock distance ?

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS - #74 ST
129 Posts
As a point of clarification, you should have far less issues than I did (if any) If you're running stock offset and stock sized tires (for an RS - 16x7 +53, 205/55-16). I'll edit my post for future reference. That extra 20 mm of tire makes a big difference.

I bought the front camber plates, but for the back I cheaped out and got the camber bolts.
If the V1s are anything like the V2s, the rears are slotted in the upper hole. You should not use an aftermarket camber bolt in that case, just slide the knuckle around until you get the desired camber and lock it in place with the factory bolts.

The trick to get more clearance (if needed) is to use a camber plate to "pull" the entire shock body inward, then use the slots (or the bolts if they're not slotted) to set your desired camber.

So, basically you are saying that if I start hear crazy rubbing noises in the back, just adjust to 0 camber. That sounds reasonable, since then I would have the snow tires on.
You should be able to check for clearance before even dropping it to the ground. The wheel's position relative to the shock body doesn't change, so if it doesn't fit then, it won't when you lower it to the ground either.

Not sure what spring length is default on KW V1, but, it's good to know I can change it to something that fits better.
They will most likely come with KW springs, in which case you can look for some hyphenated markings on the coils somewhere. I think it's the spring rate in N/mm and free length in mm. They're 60 mm ID springs should you ever feel the need to swap them out.

Last question: what's this 14.5" and 13.5"? Distance from where to where ? What's the stock distance ?
Wheel center to fender. It's the least ambiguous measurement for ride height.
^^ What he said (unless you've totally hacked/cut up your fenders).

·
Registered
13 Posts
On another car I owned I had to get shorter springs to run the wheels i wanted so I could move the perch up above the wheel. A lot of people question spacers on cars but in all honesty there's nothing wrong with it. I've seen many high end track cars run them with serious tires and haven't seen a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.