1 - 20 of 838 Posts

·
2.0L Turbo
1998 2.5RS Black EJ205
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everybody.

Lets start this off with some background info:

My name is Brenton Kowitz, I live in Golden, Colorado and I am going into my Senior year of high school.

I got my 1st car during my sophomore year year of High School, a 1996 Isuzu Trooper. I lifted that trooper 2", put on 33" tires, and a full sound system.

I love this truck, and I still own it(not for long though). The reason for selling it is fuel economy. I average about 10-12mpg, and it just wasn't fun to drive on my Canyon road....:biglaugh:

So I started looking for a car that was:

-Sporty
-Good on Gas
-Fun
-AWD(for winters in CO)
-5-Speed

The 98-01 2.5RS came instantly to mind.

The problem was finding one in my price range.

I started looking on Craigslist, and found an old listing for a 98' RS 2dr, 5-spd, with 130k miles on the clock. He was asking $5500, after a couple of days, I had talked him down to $3300 :biglaugh:

I just picked up the car this morning( 6/17/08), this is how she looks right now:

It does have some damage:

Current Status:

Engine/Exhaust/Drivetrain
-2002 WRX Ej205
-Blouch Evo3 16g
-Tial 38mm EWG
-Five-0 Motorsports 1000cc injectors
-STI TMIC
-BPM GT Turboback exhaust 3" catless
-Grimmspeed EWG Uppipe
-SPT Intake
-Gimmick Motorsports Turbo Inlet
-Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
-ACT HD Clutch
-ACT Streetlight Flywheel

Exterior
-Clear side markers,signals and corners
-Debadge'd
-JDM Taillights
-White grill badge
-Crystal clear headlights
-Tint
-Painted side skirts
-v5/6 front bumper
-v6 Grill
-v6 Front Lip
-Front Aeroguards
-JDM Rear Spats/aerogaurds
-Fog Covers

Suspension
-Whiteline 22mm Front swaybar
-Helix 20-24mm adj. Rear Swaybar
-Kartboy rear endlinks
-ISC n1 Coilovers

Brakes
-ISC 6-Piston front brakes
-Nissan 2-Pot Rear Brakes.

Interior
-V4 Euro model Gauge Cluster
-05 WRX seats(front and rear)
-Alpine CDA-105 Head unit
-Cobb Shift Knob
-Zealous Interiors:
-Black Sewn Carpet
-Black Trunk Carpet
-Black Suede Door panel Fabric
-Black w/ Red Stitching Shift/Ebrake boots/armrest cover
-Nardi 330mm Deep Corn wheel, Works bell hub, NRG Quick release

Wheels and Tires
-Konig Feather 17x7.5 +45
-Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Positions 215/45/17
-Drop Engineering extended lugs

CURRENT PICTURE:

Thanks again, let me know what you think!

-Kowitz

Attachments

·
mix and match..:)
MY99 GF4 Ver6 Re-creation
840 Posts
Congrats on the purchase....:)

make sure you take it somewhere and get the engine and everything all checked out...98's were notorious for Headgasket issues....Fenders are cheap....doesn't appear to bad...:)

Bill

·
2.0L Turbo
1998 2.5RS Black EJ205
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats on the purchase....:)

make sure you take it somewhere and get the engine and everything all checked out...98's were notorious for Headgasket issues....Fenders are cheap....doesn't appear to bad...:)

Bill
Head gaskets, other gaskets and timing belt were all done by previous owner.

I have receipts to prove it.

Fender is fixable, and it is being fixed next week, along with some new shiny black paint for the whole car. :biglaugh:

Wow, nice coupe!

Congrats...
Thanks!!!

Edit:

Yah I got a great price!

AND

Whats y'alls opinion on the headlights....should I go back to stock(I have them in my room), what about the side markers...the clear or the stock orange?

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
On the angel eye or stock headlights issue... stock for sure. And clear or stock side markers... I'd say clear side markers and clear corner lights (you'll need some when you put the stock lights back in anyways).

I see in the engine bay that the belt is not around the one pulley (AC?). If you don't plan on having AC, just get rid of the whole unit... but if you want AC, I'd suggest fixing that.

And STi wheels vs the stock goldies you already have... well, you already have nice stockers, I'd replace the wheels last after everything else is done if it was me.

You may want to check out www.awdpirates.net for some meets in your area. I'm not sure how close you are to their stuff, but I know they're in Colorado.

·
2.0L Turbo
1998 2.5RS Black EJ205
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
please go back to stock.

But its really what you like better. Side markers dont really matter if you have clear put them in, if not then use stockers for now.
The clear are on in those pictures.

On the angel eye or stock headlights issue... stock for sure. And clear or stock side markers... I'd say clear side markers and clear corner lights (you'll need some when you put the stock lights back in anyways).

I see in the engine bay that the belt is not around the one pulley (AC?). If you don't plan on having AC, just get rid of the whole unit... but if you want AC, I'd suggest fixing that.

And STi wheels vs the stock goldies you already have... well, you already have nice stockers, I'd replace the wheels last after everything else is done if it was me.

You may want to check out www.awdpirates.net for some meets in your area. I'm not sure how close you are to their stuff, but I know they're in Colorado.
I am planning on going back to stock headlights. My dad actually likes the angel eyes...haha

I took the belt off, because when the A/c is on, it sounds like crap. It think it has a bad condenser, getting that fixed soon.

Yah I like my stock wheels, the sti wheels would come LAST if I even get them.

I have a user name on awdpirates....Ill check for meets. thanks!

·
2.0L Turbo
1998 2.5RS Black EJ205
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, how do I get a picture of my car to show up on the main members journals page?

Thanks

·
anti vw.anti rota.
2000 GF, 2012 Ruckus
6,119 Posts
DOESNT LOOK IN BAD SHAPE AT ALL! GREAT FIND INDEED! ditch those angel eyes and destroy them and all pictures with them in it ASAP, same with that gold pin stipping. other than that great find!

Welcome to the club.

·
2.0L Turbo
1998 2.5RS Black EJ205
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again!

I am putting the stock headlights on soon, but I am not going to destroy the angel eyes, I am going to sell them! haha

The pinstripe will be gone, when the car gets painted next week!

·
2.0L Turbo
1998 2.5RS Black EJ205
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am getting the whole car repainted. And the fender is going to be fixed, not replaced.

·
2.0L Turbo
1998 2.5RS Black EJ205
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine is repairable.

And there is a spot on the rear passenger side quarter that needs a little work.

So the whole car will be painted.

New windshield tomorrow! You can't see it in the pics, but it has a huge crack across the middle

·
Registered
98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
864 Posts
Go to walmart or home depot and rent a carpet cleaner with a hand held attachment (I used an oreck one my mom had gotten ages ago just use it on your seats you will freaking love the results...

mine were almost as dirty as yours when I bought it a little over a week ago and look at them now almost factory fresh!

·
2.0L Turbo
1998 2.5RS Black EJ205
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a carpet cleaner, and I think it has a handheld attachment!

·
2.0L Turbo
1998 2.5RS Black EJ205
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, car is going out for paint tomorrow, or saturday.

I am putting the stock headlights in.

But I have a question, and want your opinion.

I am repainting the car black.

My dad says I should put a gold racing stripe down the middle(and have the stripe look like this car)

http://denver.craigslist.org/car/709903147.html

I don't think I want it, but I want y'alls opinion.

Or if it is cheap enough, should I have him repaint the car Rally Blue Pearl?

What do you think.

Thanks

-Kowitz

·
Registered
1999 Rally Bluuuuuu
1,361 Posts
No racing stripes, it just doesn't fit with a Subaru!

If it was a Mustang or something, I'd definitely agree, but on this car, it gets a thumbs down

1 - 20 of 838 Posts