Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

61 - 80 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
'99 OBS V7 STi Swap
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Small updates:

Installed '15 steering rack today and tidied up the engine bay a bit. My iWire harness arrives Tuesday so I finally got around to ripping out the rest of the old harness. She's primed and ready.

Bought a v3/4 front bumper along with some side skirts (thanks Bast) so it won't look as frumpy when up and running haha.

Fully converted to hydraulic clutch system now too! Carefully bent the stock brake hardlines as well to mate up to the STi brake master cylinder.

The most unfortunate part of everything is I'm still waiting on my rear hubs to be rebuilt.....they are going to be the delay to getting this thing fired up, which sucks. Parts are supposed to arrive Tuesday so who knows, maybe they'll be done by the following Tuesday. One can only hope.

·
Registered
'99 OBS V7 STi Swap
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Major update!

My buddy Scott cruised over tonight and with a killer dinner in our bellies (from MP Mongolian BBQ) we tackled the motor this evening.

Took a little bit of creative thinking in the garage but all in all, a painless awesome experience.

Can't wait to start buttoning things up.

·
Registered
99 AW Coupe
723 Posts
Duuude. That door looks Bad Ass! Did you guys decorate it haha.

...car is looking good too. One week till your deadline! Still on schedule?

·
Registered
'99 OBS V7 STi Swap
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Unfortunately it's looking like the rear hubs will cause the deadline to be missed :(

But I'll be charging on to get it all ready as soon as I get the parts.

·
Registered
'99 OBS V7 STi Swap
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Woke up at an ungodly hour this morning and instead of trying to fake sleep I got up and laid in the my merged iWire harness. Still need to run the fuel pump controller wire and get it all mounted to the dash beam and such, but it's in there and it's great.

·
Registered
'99 OBS V7 STi Swap
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Buddy came over and helped me tackle putting the ebrake assembly back together with the rear hubs. We successfully installed almost everything in the rear and reattached ebrake system in the car.

Found out the 5-speed driveshaft U-Joint bolts are different than the 6-speed ones. So unfortunately we weren't able to get that bolted up. So close.

·
Registered
'99 OBS V7 STi Swap
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Car is on the home stretch!

Over the past 3 days+ I've been cleaning up all the wiring and tightening down all the suspension pieces and finishing up install of general stuff (fuel pump, sway bars, driveshaft, brake pads, fuel filter, and much more hah). Oh I also picked up a Zero Sports catback :)

Also ended up selling the Recaro CS's for $$$ and EVO X MR front seats. Ended up working out well as they are a bit more huggy (the CS's would have been perfect if I weighed an extra 20lbs) and the extra cash has gone towards solving all the little hiccups I've ran into the past week. Oh and it will pay for an V3 Accessport + tune.

But the biggest news is thanks to some quick delivery of parts and some killer friends, the car is going to be started tomorrow. Extremely excited but also nervous haha.

Some random new photos:

·
Registered
'99 OBS V7 STi Swap
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
And.........................she runs!!! What an epic Xmas present.

First drive had me a tiny bit worried as there was a nasty clunk when shifting into first, and had a coolant leak when I got back. BUT fixed the coolant leak (was a hose clamp not in the correct place) and the clunk was from the pitch stop not being tightened down enough. Lesson learned here, when doing so many things be sure to quadruple check your quadruple checking.

No CEL's at all to be found either. Can't thank Brain @iWire enough for such an awesome service. Everything plugged right in with no hassle. Amazing.

I need to check all air bag connections though as the light is on even after plugging everything back in (first drive didn't have passenger side plugged in because no dash. Wonder if that is the culprit. but if it's anything like the newer cars it's constantly checking and when there isn't a fault it turns off).

Other potential thing I'm tracking down is the smell of oil burning and some smoke coming from the downpipe. Hoping it's just residue burning off from flipping the motor to do maintenance and not the turbo seals or anything.

Car feels amazing though even just puddling around. Doesn't even have a front sway right now (waiting for brackets, found out late that they are different for newer years).

Second Drive Start Up Vid:
Untitled by Tyler Morten
https://flic.kr/p/C55qTN

·
Registered
'99 OBS V7 STi Swap
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Small update:
Coolant leak is still non-existent after driving around almost all day yesterday. Awesome.

Airbag light is now off as well. I forgot to click in the secondary lock (green tab) on the driver side footwell plug.

Only thing still going on is burnt oil smell after driving for awhile. The car does not puff white smoke anymore from the up-pipe/downpipe area which is good. But it definitely still smells.

Still hoping it's just residue in the PCV/intake system from flipping the motor. I haven't been able to give it a good drive due to the crap gas in the tank I mixed with 91 + octane booster. Also running the JDM ecu so even with a new tank of gas I think I need a bit of an octane boost in general to give it anything real.

Scheduling a tune the first week of January though so should be able to have a lil fun after that. The motor is so smooth. Can't wait to really "drive" it.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
16,993 Posts
It'll smell for a week or so, honestly it'll probably smeel until it gets tuned and gets hot enough to burn everything off. Even oils from your skin will sit in the metal until it can fully burn off, as long as it's not pissing oil out anywhere you should be set. Looks like everything came together well!

·
Registered
'99 OBS V7 STi Swap
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
It'll smell for a week or so, honestly it'll probably smeel until it gets tuned and gets hot enough to burn everything off. Even oils from your skin will sit in the metal until it can fully burn off, as long as it's not pissing oil out anywhere you should be set. Looks like everything came together well!
Yeah that's what I'm hoping for sure.

Have a tune scheduled with Mike over at GST this coming Thursday. Can't wait to be able to drive this thing normally. I had originally planned to take the car up to Travis at Snail Performance, but with work and life being a bit crazy, it's next to impossible to make the time to drive up there. Both amazing tuners so at least both are around. Could definitely be worse.

Installed the stock STi front sway bar finally since the brackets came in from Subaru today. Wow what a difference. It handled surprisingly good without it, it handles much better now.

Also dove into mounting/adhering the top wing mounts tonight. Can't wait to get that on tomorrow, despite it adding yet another shade of silver to the car. I think I'm at 4 different whites and 3 different silvers. If only paint were cheap...

[/url]Untitled

61 - 80 of 218 Posts