Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to have to cut a hole in the TMIC I'll be using soon, and weld on the flange for the BOV. The intercooler is aluminum, and the flange is steel. It's been a while since high school welding, and I've forgotten some things. Can aluminum and steel be welded together easily? Also, would TIG be the best for that? I would prefer to use the flange that I have to keep the cost down, as I'd have to get a new one custom-made since my BOV is so old. Thanks!:)

·
Registered
93 Impreza 6MT, White
170 Posts
I personally don't think it is a very good idea to weld Aluminium and Steel together, try buying an Aluminium flange for your BOV if you are going to cut your intercooler up...

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, upon attempting to fit it under my hood again, I found out that I won't have the space I need for that, so I'm going a different route.:)

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a '98 WRX intercooler and an old HKS BOV.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Hey guys, for future reference you can’t weld dissimilar metal, particularly if one is ferrous and one nonferrous. The reason is they take different types of welding rod and weld at vastly different temperatures.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you can’t weld dissimilar metal, particularly if one is ferrous and one nonferrous. The reason is they take different types of welding rod and weld at vastly different temperatures.
I was thinking that was the rule, but I couldn't remember.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why don't you just drill the hole and tap it...
That wouldn't work too well because of the design of the intercooler. Fortunately, I figured something else out that I plan on doing.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought I posted it, but I guess not. I'm going RX-7 style:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll be using the stock flange on the intercooler, and making a setup similar to that one.:)

·
Registered
1993 Subaru Impreza
23 Posts
I'm going to have to cut a hole in the TMIC I'll be using soon, and weld on the flange for the BOV. The intercooler is aluminum, and the flange is steel. It's been a while since high school welding, and I've forgotten some things. Can aluminum and steel be welded together easily? Also, would TIG be the best for that? I would prefer to use the flange that I have to keep the cost down, as I'd have to get a new one custom-made since my BOV is so old. Thanks!:)
Aluminum can not be welded to steel

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aluminum can not be welded to steel
:wtf::wtf::wtf:
You seriously bumped a 7+ year old thread just to post that?! Did you even read the thread to see that 1)it became a non-issue shorty after the thread was posted, and 2)that the question was answered by the 5th reply?!

·
Registered
362 Posts
lol they won't bind. The aluminum would melt all over the place.

make an adapter or get an adapter to go from stock flange ---> bov flange.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol they won't bind. The aluminum would melt all over the place.

make an adapter or get an adapter to go from stock flange ---> bov flange.
You seriously bumped a 7+ year old thread just to post that?! Did you even read the thread to see that 1)it became a non-issue shorty after the thread was posted, and 2)that the question was answered by the 5th reply?!

·
Registered
99obs
164 Posts
It is not possible to weld aluminum to steel unless you do a friction weld but those are not strong as is and are only used for special applications. 6061 is the most common weldable aluminum so i would check what your stuff is made out of, also tig is the most precise form of welding and ussually stronger than any other forms of welding. However tig welding is done between 13,000F(steel)- 20,000F(aluminum) so warpage could also be an issue. I've been tig welding now for 4 years daily and have been recently certified, i make bicycles for a living, so if you got any more detailed questions let me know or just pm me

thanx
Max

1 - 20 of 28 Posts