Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm hoping you can help me get my 99 Forester running good- heres whats happening:

The original EJ253 died- swapped it with a SOHC JDM EJ20 (used the intake manifold from the 25). When its warm (I have a heated garage, ~60*F) it starts and runs great- zero codes or drivability problems. Before installing the motor it got new timing belt/tensioner/idlers and spark plugs(denso 3504)

However, when parked outside for awhile (~0* F) it throws a knock sensor code (P0235) until it warms up. I can feel/hear the motor bog down under load. I can clear the code once its warmed up and it will not come back until the car cools down again.

I know subarus have a history of bad knock sensors, so I swapped the original one onto the new motor but this didn't make any difference.

Any suggestions on where to start?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Swapped in new intake manifold gaskets to see if maybe they were leaking when cold. That seemed to fix the problem for a day or two then the problem came back today. They were doubled up when I took off the intake manifold originally.. anybody on here ever double up intake manifold gaskets to help them seal?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts