2000 RS Coupe
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Every piece of exterior trim was either replaced with new OEM pieces or restored to look like new - they even painted the windshield wiper stalks, hood vent undertrays, and brand new OEM black carpet was installed. Also installed clear JDM tail lights, side, and bumper corner markers. I still have the aero guards and spats but I'm gonna wait on those until I can secure a smooth JDM rear bumper. As soon as I get her home and in the garage I'm gonna replace the shocks, springs, and mounts then install the V6 seats and get rid of the driver A pillar antenna with a delete.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It really does. I knew I'd love the color when I saw the metal color swatch before paint, but the pictures pale compared to seeing it up close and in person. They really did a fantastic job with everything. Whenever winter ends and I pull her out of the garage, I'll take and post a few pics in actual sunlight - wheels will be on then too. Gonna start getting ready for suspension work now.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So I had an extra set of EJ251 heads lying around and dropped them off at a local machine shop to be acid washed and checked for proper valve sealing. I have a set of Delta 1500 cams for install. Normally I would refresh the heads myself w/ new springs, retainers, and collets but my 07 wagon engine is in the middle of a rebuild. I don't have time to finish this, work, and work on the heads so I'm paying someone else to do it. They're giving me a killer deal - they're sort of associated w/ the shop that painted my car. I was going to just replace valve parts w/ Suby OEM parts that I looked up:
Springs: 13217AA261
Retainers: 13209AA180
Collets: 13210AA020
I can get everything shipped for around $100. I'll probably just get valve seals from Rockauto or something to keep costs down. I was thinking of using upgraded springs and titanium retainers from GSC or Brian Crower or something but fitment verification for the EJ251 is inconsistent across the board as are prices. Anyone have experience here that wants to chime in or make a recommendation? Delicious ECU only lifts redline to 6700 RPM from 6500 so valve float isn't really a concern. Delta told me the OEM parts are more than adequate for a 1500 grind. Just wondering if anything other than OEM is overkill here.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,795 Posts
Have you talked to ASF machine? Their single spring kit is good to 8300rpm.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So after a few e-mail conversations with ASF Machine and Delta Cam, there really doesn't seem to be any reason to spend the extra money on slightly stiffer valve springs or titanium retainers for the 1500 cams and very mild increase in RPM elevation per the reflashed ECU. Think I'm gonna go with my original plan to order OEM Subaru parts (springs, retainers, collets, and seals) and call it a day on the heads. Money would probably be better spent on more suspension upgrades and an engine refresh.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited by Moderator)
So I assembled my struts today and plan on installing them on the car tomorrow. he first pic is a tool that my dad made for me a few years back out of some stock steel he had lying around the garage. I almost lost an eye while installing a set of RCE yellows on Si struts on my WRX. One of the clamps let loose from the spring compression rods. My dad is a machinist and this so much easier to use, it's almost laughable. Oddly enough, I didn't have to do anything regarding spring compression with this set up. There was enough of the strut stud exposed to install the nuts using a ratchet and deep well socket:

Pre-assembly of one of the front struts. I bought all new upper and lower insulators as well as spring perches. The set of F/R Prodrive P11L springs came with new bellows and bump stops. KYB AGX struts all around, 92-01 Subaru STi / RA rear mounts and Whiteline KCA335 front strut mounts:
https://flic.kr/p/2j3Kcmp All assembled with F/R perches properly aligned / preloaded:
https://flic.kr/p/2j3MPVv https://flic.kr/p/2j3PmCS https://flic.kr/p/2j3PmFs

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
This is the tool my dad made. Cut away recesses accommodate the lower strut perch and the outer pieces of steel are adjustable for the threaded clamp rods to make sure the compression points are parallel and clamped correctly.
https://flic.kr/p/2j3PmvN

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The last pic of the strut tool should have been the first pic instead of the 2 duolicate pics of the unassembled strut. For whatever readon I can't edit my thread after posting.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
268 Posts
The way the forum works, it saved the picture to each individual thread. So unfortunately I was unable to copy/paste. I'll open a trouble ticket for you.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Does anyone have a 20 mm rear sway bar lying around that they wanna sell? I'm not sure what model vehicles this may encompass - maybe 02-07 WRX?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts