Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 416 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Impreza 2.5RS
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sold the Protege and bought the car Ive always wanted...
This is my 2005 Impreza 2.5RS. Ill keep this thread updated with the work I do to it. Since Im still paying it off, mods will come but not for a little bit. Till then it will just be little things here and there. First major thing Im planning hopefully for next summer is a drop on coilovers.

Mod List:

- Engine/Driveline:
Tsudo 2.5" Cat-Back exhaust
Tsudo 2.5" High Flow Cat Pipe
Tsudo 4-2-1 UEL Header: Wrapped
NGK Spark Plug Wires + NGK BKR6EIX Plugs
Grimmspeed Lightweight Crank Pulley
Silicone U+L Radiator Hoses
Agency Power Short Shifter
Blox 490g Neo Chrome Shift Knob

- Wheel/Tire:
-----Summer-----
16" Enkei RS5s: Blaze Yellow
Federal 595 R-SR: 205/50
-----Winter-----
16"OEM Steelies
Blizzak WS70: 215/55

- Suspension/Brake:
Raceland Ultimo Coilovers
LGT Rear Caliper Swap
R1 Concepts Premium Drilled and Slotted Rotors (F+R)
EBC Green Stuff Pads (F+R)
Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines (F+R)
Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace

- Exterior:
STI Replica Front Bumper
STI Front Lip
Projector Headlights/Dual Halos

- Interior:
Kenwood KDC-BT555U Head Unit

- Other:
AC Delete
Rear Seat Delete + Retaining Net
Interstate Battery Relocated To Trunk
Z1 Performance Timing Belt/WP Kit
Grimmspeed Hood Struts
Sickspeed 3" Neo Chrome Shift Knob Extension

·
Registered
2005 Impreza 2.5RS
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So Im having some issues here guys:

Got a CEL after filling up yesterday. Ran it: "Catalyst somethingorrather Below Threshold" ... erased it, wasnt too worried Ive always ran no cats on my cars and figured Ill just get the cats taken out soon.

Then pulled the car into a bay at work right before close. Pulled a rattling heat shield off the exhaust mani. Got in, reved it to see if the rattle was gone, then pulled it out back and parked it.

Closed up at work and got on my way home. Came up on a red light pressed the clutch and brake in to come to a stop and car died as Im rolling to a stop. Thought maybe I didnt have the clutch in all the way ans stalled it ... I cam of course new to driving 5-speed.

Next time I try to stop same deal, RPMS drop and shuts off not stalls. So then I notice that when the RPMS fall if I shift into neutral it doesn't die. Gears shift fine and everything. When Im at a stop I can hold the clutch and brake in with it in gear and no issues.

Now I am new to driving 5-speed so needless to say the clutch hasnt been on my good side lately, but please dont tell me I could have burnt out the clutch from just a couple stalls and some rough shifting?

·
Registered
2005 Impreza 2.5RS
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clutch issue went away, no problems since. Not sure, leaning toward a sticky throttle plate. But dunno.

Anyway, dropped it off at the dealer today to have the recalled front control arms looked at. Apparently they were so rusted that they could not let the vehicle leave until it is repaired ... at least thats what they tell me. They set me up with a rental from enterprise, paid for by them of course.

So now Im stuck with this POS for the next week to two weeks ...

Oh and the Tsudo cat-back should be here tomorrow. Will be installed as soon as its back from the dealer with its crispy new control arms.

Plans are to work my way up the car from there ... Stromung HFC cat pipe, Borla or Borla knock-off headers, hybrid intake inspired by Thegoldenfist's setup, then maybe the red intake mani from an STI, but not sure about that one gotta do some research and see if there is a reasonable difference.

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Why thanks for the mention ;)

Yours is coming along very nicely. FYI the STi intake wont work with our setup because its designed for the turbo engine and its top mount intercooler. Besides our 05 intakes are actually the best designed ones out there (its bigger and has long runners).

·
Registered
2005 Impreza 2.5RS
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well you just did my research for me! lol

Oh and question for ya ... Im only halfway through your thread to the point where you took the "torque box" off and replaced it with the bend from the Injen CAI. How does this work for you, and MAF issues?

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
I cant remember having any MAF issues at the time. Just make sure you do a "hard ecu reset" anytime you unplug a sensor or play around with the intake.

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Hard ECU reset

You see our 05+ ECUs are very picky and with any type of unplugging or modifying of the intake or exhaust you will need to do this.

“Hard ECU reset” Follow these steps:

• Turn on you’re dome light – important step to insure there is no electricity running in your system
• Unplug the battery

When done:

• Plug back in the battery
• Turn the key to ignition and wait for the drive by wire (DBW) throttle to stop clicking, then start the car
• Now without stepping on the gas, let the car completely warm up
• Shut the engine down after warm up and let cool down
• Now you can start the car and drive it around as you wish.

The reason you want to let the engine warm up without driving or stepping on the gas is because the DBW is figuring out where you’re idle position is. If you didn’t do this step you would have jumping idles and possible engine stalling.

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
The Mazda looks pretty sweet! Im actually loving the orange theme a lot! On another note, post some pics of the exhaust when you get it installed.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza 2.5RS
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So today is one week from when I dropped the impreza off at the dealer for recall work

Called them today ... they are still waiting on the control arms.

I want my car back already!!

Anyway as you may or may not know I work for VIOC, my buddy who is the manager of a nearby store and the guy who runs a local Volkswagen wrench spot called me to see if I could work at his store for a day next week on my day off, I told him sure if I could get on his lift for free to get the exhaust installed. So thats all set to go once I get my baby back.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza 2.5RS
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
^ Noooo, dont do the ebay halo headlights!

Well, to put it short the UEL header creates the signature Suby rumble you hear all the time with the turbo models. Even though the UEL header is inefficient compared to a EL header, you will see some improvement coming from the stock header you have on there right now.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza 2.5RS
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good info about the header

And I kinda dig those headlights, most ebay headlights/taillights get really riced out but these seem like they will work with the car ... dunno

In the mean time Ive got to figure out a noise the cars been making. Its a light jingling "loose change" noise that come from the gear shift console area mostly when cruising in 5th at highway speed. Its def coming from the shifter or something connected to the shifter b/c I can make it quite down a bit if I hold the sifter tight for a second and dont let it shake at all.

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Maybe you have some change down under the shift boot. Just snap the plastic piece off and take a look. Pull up from the front closest to the cup holders ;)

Down in here:

1 - 20 of 416 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.