Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
LSTI in progress.
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have owned my 1.8 L for 13 years now after buying it when I was 16 for 7 grand :wtf:. It has been a good reliable car and I finally have had the time and money to do some work on it. I started modding it a year ago before I even knew about this site and hadn't documented any of it, so I am playing catch up.

The car only has 132000 miles on it, as i didn't drive it that much during school.

A couple of morons have backed into me over the years, so i have replaced the hood twice and the bumper once. The shop I took it to didn't paint and prime the bumper correctly so the paint has been coming off for years now. Lesson learned about that shop.

Looking to get a 2.5RS hopefully sooner rather than later. I do have a friend who wants to buy my car for his girl though, so at least I have an easy sell.

Contents
New Seats/ Fixed up and Cleaned

Shifter and Boot upgrade

3M-Di Noc on trim and other pieces

Rims

Trunk Carpet/Amp and Sub

Wackass Security Device Fixed

Mudflaps Installed

98 Facelift

Armrest Extension

Franken Intake

SPATS! AEROGUARDS!

Ebrake Handle, leather and red stitch

2.5 Hood/Hood Pins

Red Trim STI Mats

V4 Momo Wheel

Thule Rack

STI Pedals

STI Exhaust

PlastiDipped Hood

INJEN CAI

Attachments

·
Registered
LSTI in progress.
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Old Seats

The first thing I wanted to do was get rid of my crummy seats that were uncomfortable and ugly. The foam inside them was literally wasting away to nothing. Also the drivers side had a tear in the middle and the cover I put on it looked like shit.

New Seats

Found a decent deal for a set of 2.5RS seats rear and front, so I went and snagged them. After transporting them home, I tore them down pulled off the upholstery and fixed the foam tears that all subarus seem to suffer from.

I ended up glueing the foam with liquid silicon and splicing it together with a framework of thin wiring. So far it has worked out great and everyone comments on how good the seats feel. Had to rewire down the upholstery when I put them back together but I am now a pro at it.

I also used my carpet shampooer to clean the upholstery and they look very good now, then I used some needed and carpet thread to seal up any holes that were there. I think I had two to do.

Installed easily, though it was cold as ice outside.

PICS Coming!

·
Registered
LSTI in progress.
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Shift Boot

I've always hated my accordian shift-boot. I ordered a suede jdm boot off of amazon and went to work.

My old shifter trim had many broken tabs so instead I drilled some holes and put some screws in. Kinda ghetto looking but I picked up an extra trim at the junk yard which I need to paint.

Removing the plastic ring at the top of the boot allowed me to put slide it up just under my carbon fiber knob which is held in place with screws (bought it years ago and its been great because it doesn't get too cold or too hot) since the knob doesn't screw on.

I also chopped my shifter down a few years back with a dremel. That was not a fun experience.

Came out looking okay. Better than my old one.

·
Registered
LSTI in progress.
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3M Di Noc

3M Di Noc

In the post above this you can see a piece of trim that I put 3M Di Noc on. Di noc is a textured sticker that is made to look like a certain substance, in my case carbon fiber. Di Noc is some of the coolest stuff I have ever used.

It easily is able to curve over any surface and adheres great. It is tough and in my opinion looks even better than real carbon fiber. It doesn't get dirty and doesn't pick up finger prints either.

Drawbacks are that it is tricky to cut because it's thick and it is expensive. I bought some off of amazon and the seller sent me some that had a crease in it, so I complained and they gave me a whole other sheet. Now I have enough to do my trims.

If people request it I will do a write up on how to use di noc efficiently as there are a few little tricks that can help alot.

·
Registered
LSTI in progress.
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rims

My buddy who has a 92x bought some new rims and gave me his old ones. I plan on plasti dipping them black when it gets warmer as plasti dip sucks in the cold.

As you can see they still have the Saab center cap. :naughty:

·
Registered
LSTI in progress.
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Trunk Carpet/ Amp and Sub

I put a JL 10 and an amp in. Sounds really good and doesn't use up a ton of space, which I need for my golf clubs and biking shit.

In order to reduce vibrations I removed the crummy vinyl that was inside the trunk and cut a piece of industrial carpet to go in it's place along with a pad to insulate more.

Also my dad had left a bottle of oil in the trunk and it spilled all over the place, I had a hell of a time getting it clean.

It was easy to cut as i used the original piece as a guide. It came out looking great and is much much better than the oem carpet on any subaru. Gonna do it on all my future cars as I still have a big piece of it left. Might cut a piece to go between the seats and the trunk too.

·
Registered
LSTI in progress.
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
man thats a long time to own a car and not mod it... lol
No money and time as college was kicking my ass. I recently got my degree so I am taking a break. Also I have a bit of extra money lately.

Granted I spent most of my cash on tech stuff as I have four computers and one of them is a monster of a machine. :crazy:

·
Registered
LSTI in progress.
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wackass Security Device Fixed

When i bought the car, someone had installed some stupid security light thingy that didn't even work. The guy at the dealership had no idea what it was but tracing the lines it was clear what it was supposed to do. Though the person who installed it never installed it right. Maybe it was just a deterrent.

I didn't make it work, but I fixed it up a bit and left it there as there are holes drilled and it does glow at night and look like an alarm. I just made the wiring not look like garbage.

·
Registered
LSTI in progress.
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mudflaps

Installed some Flapatax mudflaps. The guy makes them locally and they were cheap. Installed pretty easily though it was cold as fuck when I did it.

The right front got caught on my wheel and bent the well a bit. Had to pound it back into place, but you can't even tell it happened.

I modified the front right flap to work better by adding a third hole on the inside of the flap which holds it down more securely. I then went to the junkyard and pulled off the hardware for the stock mudflaps which I then used to mount it.

I contacted the guy and let him know and he has fixed the design to reflect my changes.

I think they look pretty good and they work well keeping the snow from building up.

·
Registered
LSTI in progress.
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
98 Facelift

Bought some new lights and a grill off of a local ad. Plasti Dipped the grill as it was red.

Swapped it out 30 minutes before a huge storm hit. It doesn't fit perfectly with my hood but it looks better and the lights seem to be brighter, not sure if it is the housing or the bulbs.

·
Registered
LSTI in progress.
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Armrest Extension

My white whale came in yesterday. I have been wanting one of these pieces for a while now and a fellow RS25 member hooked me up. It was painted black already, but it goes well with my black center piece which I bought from JDMGary. You can also see my homemade phone mount which is located on my handbrake for easy access.

ARMREST = WIN :stafiseiz

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,169 Posts
Cigarettes are bad for you..:stafiseiz: The phone holder is cool though!

·
Registered
LSTI in progress.
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cigarettes are bad for you..:stafiseiz: The phone holder is cool though!
Ha, I don't smoke cigarettes but the occasional cigar. What you see there are prime time mini cigars, because smoking the big ones makes the car stink to high heavens. Yeah I made the phone holder with a dremel out of a wooden box. Need to paint it black when the weather gets warmer.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Ahhh gotcha. My drivers ed teacher smoked the big ones in his car before we went driving lol.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
If he did we would have come back to school smelling like smoke. We'd probably get searched to lol.

1 - 20 of 207 Posts