Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, a friend of mine keeps telling me to switch to the K&N Filter for my '02 RS, but will it make a difference? Also, does the CPU auto adjust to the new air flow of the engine or does it not effect the car to make the difference?

Basically, why would I do this? are there benefits? Pros? Cons?

thanks,
Tim

·
The first ex-ex-moderator!
00 RS & GSX-R 750
1,446 Posts
I did a little test on this. I had my stock filter with Ganzflow installed. It pulled a max of 14.658 lbs/min into the intake manifold. I then switched to my K&N with the Ganzflow and it pulled a max of 16.798 lbs/min. So the K&N does flow better. Plus the filter are reusable. So go price about 5 stock filters and see if the're cheaper than one K&N. You probably won't feel any difference on the butt dyno, but it's there. You most likely need an ECU reset with just a filter, but it will relearn anyways.

Oh if you get one don't over oil it. It's not good.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
when i put mine in, it made a huge difference. but then again, my stock filter looked like it had been dragged through a sewer by some sick animal, so i can't say how much of the difference was the K&N and how much was just having a clean filter on there. but at least this way, i can clean my filter instead of replaceing it after 13k miles thanks to my love of gravel :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's involved in resetting the ECU?

·
The first ex-ex-moderator!
00 RS & GSX-R 750
1,446 Posts
And it goes a little something like this.....

Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery
Wait 30 minutes, then reconnect the battery (if you have keyless or security have your keyfob in hand ready to hit unlock/disarm)
Start the engine (DO NOT PRESS THE ACCELERATOR!)
After the engine idles for 10 minutes, shut the car off (even if you're going to drive immediately, shut the car off first, then start it again)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Might I suggest an amsoil filter, it has a foam element, where the K&N has cotton gause element. The amsoil will filter better, not need cleaned as frequently, and flows just as good.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
well, no dust gets past the stock filter either, but neither does the air :) when i replaced mine, first i saw the inside which was still bright-ass orange with nay a spot of brown. the outside, however, was covered with brown sludge.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I vote for the Amsoil filter too. I had a K&N filter on my Blazer and too much dust and crap got through it. It's true that the K&N will flow better but for a little less airflow and better filtering the Amsoil Is the best I have used to this day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
puckaveli said:
And it goes a little something like this.....

Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery
Wait 30 minutes, then reconnect the battery (if you have keyless or security have your keyfob in hand ready to hit unlock/disarm)
Start the engine (DO NOT PRESS THE ACCELERATOR!)
After the engine idles for 10 minutes, shut the car off (even if you're going to drive immediately, shut the car off first, then start it again)
You forgot to mention...when you unplug your battery make sure it's on a COLD engine....:)

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
I put a K&N in my RS a couple years ago. Seemed to run a weee bit better in the high end, but.... ehh... could be the placebo effect. :D

I had a hell of a time cleaning mine. Royal pain. Yeah, don't over-oil it. I think I over-oiled mine. I mean I haven't had any problems, but a while back I took mine out and it was still dripping a bit. Took it out yesterday to clean some leaves and stuff out of the bottom of the airbox ... the filter seemed fine, pretty dry. I shook it and didn't get any oil splatters.

There's also ITG filters, sold by the very highly venerable ScoobySport at their USA site, www.rallyperformance.com .
They're like $56. Supposedly some of the best ones out there, preferable to K&N. I'd buy one if I could justify the bucks to replace one that works fine, but.....

(I put up a thread about that yesterday in NA on i-Club but only got one response...)

-S2-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts