Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
stm99,flatblack99,07sti,blk98
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so heres the story..im driving home..all of sudden my lights go flickering.. then the shut off. i park infront of my house. now i try to start it. nothing

problem

put key in ignition.
turn key to on-everything works lights dash etc.
try to turn over..--clickkked clicckk clicck click.

ok so i check'

loose anything re check ground
checked all fuses.=good
check voltage on battery great=(side not tried to jump nothing)
reseated battery termails check starter terminals..all good

might be...

replaced my starter thinking it wasnt that.
checked plugs.not that.
maybe a starter relay is not getting enough voltage?if so where is it.

·
Registered
93 Imperza L Ameythst
3,165 Posts
my car does that for the battery being dead, have you had the battery core tested? or even charged the battery at auto zone for free. I have had this happen to me twice in my subie. All great then out of no where bam it just doesnt work, ended up being the batter, same sorta sound.

·
Registered
VR6
1,909 Posts
Battery..I would have said starter but you already said it wasn't that.

·
Registered
2000RS STM Sedan
34 Posts
Alternator, hate to say it because it sucks but thats all the classic signs. The Alternator runs everything while your car is on. Once that goes your car pulls all power from the battery, eventually killing everything, eventually the battery. Which would explain why your lights flickered then died and now theres not enough power let in the battery to start the car, which isn't horrible since all that would happen is it would just kill your battery in like 5 minutes.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
My vote is for the flux capacitor. You didn't even check that, did you? Always start with the basics first!! :bonk:

·
Registered
VR6
1,909 Posts
Take the alternator to teh autozone and have them test it for you BZ!!

·
Registered
03 Impreza 2.5RS. AWP
461 Posts
Actually, it sounds like a corroded or loose battery terminal. No bs. Just take a min and disconnect both terminals, clean them well, then reconnect and make sure they don't move.

Also, get yourself one of these.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Alternator definatly, i once had my battery get disconnected while driving and it was fine, so if your battery died, it should still be running, although not start.

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
clean the battery terminals

check alternator if that dont work

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok.. i guess i wasnt clear im sorry but i have a brand new optima d51r or something like that all new terminals. and i havent tried the alternator yet. battery is good. i even tried jumping it from my running sti. i will swap out the alternator and find out whats up.thanks glen

·
Registered
1924 Rickshaw
18 Posts
I would go about it like this:

Take you battery to autozone and have them put a load test on it to check Voltage and Amps. while its out clean the terminals and buy some corrosion neutralizer.

If that checks out good then its most likely your starter. A good way to see if your starter is bad is to have someone hold the key to start and then lightly hit the starter with a metal hammer. you want to send some vibrations to the starter to free it up. If it turns over when you hit it you need to replace your starter.

If the battery is BAD, then of course replace the battery. Once a new battery is installed and the car turns over and starts, then you need to find out why the battery went bad.

Check the charging system with a volt meter at the battery while the car is running of course. You want 13+ volts. someone else here can chime in and give the average reading of a stock suby alt.

See if you might have a draw on the battery. Remove the (-) negative/ground from the battery and put a test light in between the negative battery post and the negative cable. if it lights up you have a draw. Next step would be to start pulling fuses till the test light goes out.

check it out and get back to us with some good info.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok i already posted excately what your stating in my first post except for alternator checking bc i cant get it started. i have an extra one to swap in. this just gives me an excuse to buy an sti motor :)

·
Registered
1924 Rickshaw
18 Posts
ok.. i guess i wasnt clear im sorry but i have a brand new optima d51r or something like that all new terminals. and i havent tried the alternator yet. battery is good. i even tried jumping it from my running sti. i will swap out the alternator and find out whats up.thanks glen
Start with the starter first. That is what your having a problem with right "starting" the car? If the alternator is bad but you have a good battery the car will still start and run but not for long. since the car is running off the battery and not the alternator and soon will drain the battery.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
I have:

-Good battery
-Good alternator, charges from 13.5-14.5 when running (recently replaced)
-New starter, just replaced a few days ago
-Extra 4 gauge + wire going from the battery to starter
-Two extra ground wires from the engine to body

Mine does the same thing. Its actually been doing the clicking thing off and on for about a month now. I could tap the starter a little and it would start right up. Sooooooo... I got a new starter. It started every time for about three days then started the clicking this past Saturday when I was leaving my job. Obviously not the starter. I was even directly jumping the ignition switch contacts for the starter and it would only click, with the previous starter. The way it was sparking leads me to believe there is no starter relay and that the switch signal goes through the clutch switch directly to the starter solenoid. This also happened randomly on my previous battery and is part of the reason I swapped the battery.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok you people not reading my thread is making me mad. i replaced the the starter and now the alternator. and it has a brand new battery. im going to check the grounds on my ecu and etc. and hopefuly i find something

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
figured it out. heres some pics and vids of what happend.

bad ground on ecu. heres a bunch of me checking neutral switch to ground etc. voltage.

parasidic draw too.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
still charges kinda weird. and you like how i curse when the cel pops up :)

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
So what did you do to cure it? Maybe mine is a similar cause... I didn't have the rapid clicking though, just one super quiet click. ???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts