Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
06' Leg Spec B - No more RS :(
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello I,m new to the forum and I have a 99rs in silverthorne metalic that is an absolute joy. Even with the 150k, stock timing belt (LOL) and only simple bolt ons I refrain from buying new. I was about to dump some money into a 04 05 USDM STi but since I moved to california I realized that GT is close by now and i'm making more money. Quick question about what I should expect from a RS with 150k on it and all of its life up untill 7 months ago being lived in New Hampshire with plenty of snow (and fun). The set up I would like to have would be a complete STi swap out to the brembos. Just not sure if there are any other parts that anyone has taken out of a North East car and been like wow this is junk. Is there a good list anyone could conjure up for a good way to do it right the first time. A nice little list of everything that would esentially make the car a brand new Sexy Scooby Sleeper that will embarass all these OC peeps who think there Beemers are soo hot. PLus I want to get another GC8 in that little subaru brigade I saw once on the 405.

I know that buying a used L and trading of body panels might be the best way to do it from scratch but my car has got a SOUL man and I go to keep it.

THANKS!:banana::blol::run:

·
AYVI Motorsports
White 98 Impreza/06WRX
440 Posts
If its not rusting to bad on the body panels or the floor I'd say swap it. A full drivetrain swap should have you well covered and while all you old stuff is out POR-15 any rust that you see on the chassis.

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,916 Posts
I know that buying a used L and trading of body panels might be the best way to do it from scratch but my car has got a SOUL man and I go to keep it.

THANKS!:banana::blol::run:

Whats it matter. Get a L dont update the front end just run it with a front mount.

Are you asking what you would recommend to replace at the same time you swap the drivetrain? If you get everything I think just about everything from a STI swaps out except the suspension so I cant see you needing much in the way of major parts.

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
In the northeast there is snow, sleet, slush, ice and everything in between. Not to mention the worst offender, road salt.

Underbody rust is therefore much more prominent than on a western or southern car, unless the owner religiously washed the undercarriage, and kept the car in the garage. You don't necessarily have to be worried, but just be aware of that.

One thing you might look at is the fuel filler neck; over time, and particularly with all that yutz exposure, it might be a good thing to replace with a new OEM one. Otherwise, if you feel ambitious, just look underneath for bolts/nuts and such that you might want to swap out. Exhaust parts are always some of the worst, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts