Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals,
I'm new to your forum, and I want to say first that it is one of the better ones on the web. Nice to see a decent maturity level! But I think the nature of the car attracts people on the more mature end of the spectrum (which is fine by me). Those who appreciate function over form.
But I digress. The reseaon I am posting here is I am seriously considering buying an Impreza. To be more specific, I am looking at 2000 and 2001 Impreza 2.5RS sedans (5-speeds). I've lurked here for a few days, done some searches, and I have a few (hopefully) intelligent questions. First I'll give you a little background...
I love convertibles, especially the Miata, but the Canadian winters don't love them. Initially I thought it would be pretty impractical to get a convertible, because of the winters but also because I find myself increasingly having to take more than 1 passenger around with me. So then I thought I should hold out until the Mazda RX-8 hits the streets. Some days I still think that, other days I consider that a 2000/2001 RS + a used Miata would be the same price...
Now, the thought would never have entered my head to get an RS, except for two reasons: The first is I'm a rally fan, so I'm no stranger to Scoobies. The next is there is a nice blue 2.5RS sedan parking in my garage in my building on the corner of Richmond and Spadina in Toronto. (Is this anyone from here? Its got the big foglights, headlight covers, gold 17 or 18" rims, done up very nice). Every day I pass it and it really looks good. Plus its unique! I'm a car nut, and I didn't realize that Subaru did a 4-door version of the 2.5RS. What a well kept secret! Anyway, I started looking them up on Autotrader's website. Prices are good, much less than a new-style Impreza. Next I check the specs. 200 lbs less than the new Impreza 2.5RS, same engine, etc. I also like the exterior better than the 2002+ Imprezza (personal preference, not a flame). I read some internet reviews of the car, all very positive, only a few niggling complaints (trunk light, cupholder placement, stuff I don't care about). I read about the most common mods - thicker rear sway and better tires seem to make a world of difference. So at this point I'm very interested.
Now I'll get to my questions!
1. It seems the rear wheel bearings are a weak point. How much are these to replace? One website mentioned swapping them out for Legacy wheel bearings. What is involved in this, and is it worth it? Is it just a direct swap, or do the hubs have to be changed/modified?
2. I know the transmission is a weak point as well. Reading on (the former) i-club.com, it seems that a lot of the failures are from abuse, plus the higher output of the turbo-4. Is there as many instances with the previous generation Impreza transmission failing? Am I right in assuming that treat the tranny right and it will give you good service? (i.e. no drop clutch starts, power shifting, etc.)
3. With 4WD's with LSD, if you change a tire on one side of the car (like after a flat) you must do the other side or else you burn out the LSD, correct? Well, do you also have to replace the tires on the opposite end of the car? For example, my tires are 1/2 worn down. I get a unrepairable flat on the drivers side front. I know I have to replace the passenger side front tire, but do I also have to replace the rear tires too? There was a letter in R&T about this a few months back, but the answer they gave was vague ("check the owners manual, and use your discretion...").
4. Other than bearings, what other problems have you experienced?
5. Does your fuel mileage vary greatly from the EPA estimates (which are almost unbelievably impressive).
6. What does it cost to change the timing belts after 100k kms?
7. For my fellow Canuks and snowbelt friends south of the border, do you keep all season tires on the car, or do you prefer to go with 4 snows? During the summer, whats your fav. summer performance tires for those of you who switch tires each season?
8. Is there a guide to checking out used Scoobies anywhere on the web?
9. Has anyone replaced the rear sway with a thicker unit and NOT been happy with the results?
Sorry, I know that is a long post. Please reply with any other advice you can offer a newbie. I'm also interested in what you would do: used Miata and 2.5RS, or RX-8? Finally, I'd like to see some pictures of your sedans! Interior pics too!

P.S. the pic I've attached is an RS I've been carefully considering. Any comments?

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS BRP
1,359 Posts
That is far too much for a 2000..if that is american dollars!!

I actually ended up getting a 4 door..not my original plan, but it is great. Not a real difference between the two..body wise.

Just keep your eye out on the prices...

;)

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS BRP
1,359 Posts
Sorry..forgot to say Welcome to the Club!!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Rallychic said:
That is far too much for a 2000..if that is american dollars!!

I actually ended up getting a 4 door..not my original plan, but it is great. Not a real difference between the two..body wise.

Just keep your eye out on the prices...

;)
Its $12,311.45 U.S. Bucks, seems like a good price.

I've had my MY'00 for exactly 1 year. I bought it with 40,000 miles on it, and I've had zero mechanical failures. And I do drive it pretty hard. As for the trannies, I believe the general consensus is that our trannies can handle up to about 300hp, and of course thats with careful driving. Never dump the clutch and you should be good. As for the flat tire thing, I read in the manual, that your supposed to use the spare on the rear, and then you need to pull a certain fuse to engage FWD mode.

Hope this helps, and welcome.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
1. It seems the rear wheel bearings are a weak point.

Mine have never gone out, and I raced my car from time to time (SCCA)

2. I know the transmission is a weak point as well.

Manuals are if you turbo the car - specifically 2nd gear - if you power shift. Normal driving is fine though. The automatic transmissions are neraly bulletproof - I've only heard of one going out after major turbo and racing abuse.

3. With 4WD's with LSD, if you change a tire on one side of the car (like after a flat) you must do the other side or else you burn out the LSD, correct?

Yes and no... it's preferred to keep all the tires the same size, so you should be a little wary of it. However, I think it's only a real problem with the baby spare tires, as the circumference is substantially smaller which greatly increases wear on the diff - LSD or normal.

4. Other than bearings, what other problems have you experienced?

My O2 sensor failed, replaced under a recall.

5. Does your fuel mileage vary greatly from the EPA estimates (which are almost unbelievably impressive).

I get 20 - 24mpg average. I have a lead foot, too.

6. What does it cost to change the timing belts after 100k kms?

I have no idea, but guesstimate would be $200 USD.

7. For my fellow Canuks and snowbelt friends south of the border, do you keep all season tires on the car, or do you prefer to go with 4 snows?

I run Dunlop SP Sport 5000's all year long and they are fair.

8. Is there a guide to checking out used Scoobies anywhere on the web?

Not that I know of...

9. Has anyone replaced the rear sway with a thicker unit and NOT been happy with the results?

I am running a 22mm and would like something stiffer.

10. used Miata and 2.5RS, or RX-8?

2.5 of course... :lol:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcomes! :D
That is indeed Canuk Pesos (I'm Canadian so I can say that :) ), Lo0mis did the conversion above. 39000 kms = 24000 miles too.

Lo0mis said:
...As for the flat tire thing, I read in the manual, that your supposed to use the spare on the rear, and then you need to pull a certain fuse to engage FWD mode.
I thought (probably wrongly) that the automatic-transmission equiped Impreza's used a different system than the manual transmission ones though. On the autos, I read that the normal distribution was 90 fr./10 rr., and an [i/]electronic brain [/i]would vary the distribution if slip was detected. But on the manual transmission cars, the distribution (normally 50/50) was controlled by purely mechanical means. Therefore, on the manual cars, there wouldn't be a fuse you could pull, correct?
:confused:

·
Registered
135 Posts
welcome to the board. For more Canadian based info head to www.toronto-subaru-club.com
it is a fairly large and strong club. You will get lots of quality information there pertaining to subarus in Canada. In fact the person you are refering to by your place might be a member there as well. :)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Grimace said:
I thought (probably wrongly) that the automatic-transmission equiped Impreza's used a different system than the manual transmission ones though. On the autos, I read that the normal distribution was 90 fr./10 rr., and an [i/]electronic brain [/i]would vary the distribution if slip was detected. But on the manual transmission cars, the distribution (normally 50/50) was controlled by purely mechanical means. Therefore, on the manual cars, there wouldn't be a fuse you could pull, correct?
:confused:
Hmm.. Dunno, I didn't really investigate it, just read it in the manual. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
'00 Impreza 2.5RS(T)
49 Posts
Since when were rear wheel bearings an issue? I'm at 118,000 miles, Turbo charged (8psi daily) and besides my ridiculous tire wear due to lead foot and obsession with lateral G's, I replaced nothing but a clutch and front wheels bearings.

2.5L is where its at. More torque!!!

WRX - RS-T
:flame:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Hey one of those is my post! :) AWD_Dan your car is one of the blessed ones. From my research wheel bearings have been an issue for quite awhile. Found numerous post in the archived files on that other non rate club. The SVX crowd had it the worse though, some of those guys were buying them in bulk to cut prices.

I went to my dealer and got the bearing and the 3 seals for 70 dollars, better than the 96 it should have been. I'm going to take apart everything my self and take it to my buddys shop and use his press, otherwise it would have been roughly 40 or 50 bucks to get the old one pressed out and newe one pressed in.

Buster

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey grimace.. definately come over to check out toronto-subaru-club.com, there's even a couple of RSs from members for sale right now. Also if you sign up for premium membership, you'll get discounts, access to special group buys, etc..

The blue RS is probably Billy. I'm also in that area with a black 2dr, as is Danger who has a crazy blue WRX wagon.

I don't know if you head up north at all in the winter, but if you do, I'd grab a set of dedicated winters. I suffered with the stock all seasons (re92s) last winter, and would't do it again..

Gas mileage, all depends on the right foot, but you can get the claimed numbers if you drive lightly (but I wouldn't reccomend it :devil: )

Other than that, I haven't had any problems but the o2 sensor, again under warranty.. Welcome to both clubs, and watch out for those punk kids in the wrxs! :curse:

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO 6spd
4,229 Posts
1) I've never had any problems with my wheel bearings on either of my Subies. I've never know this to be a problem either. I would imagine running aftermarket wheels maybe a problem for these complaints.

2) You should be fine if your car was not previous abused and you don't drive abusively or go huge power.

3) You'd defintely be better off replacing all four.

4) Nothing, I think my cat might be bad though.

5) I get about 22/30.

6) No idea, sorry.

7) I use snows. Simply because I prefer to use Z rates in the summer and would never recommend their use in the snow. I figure All Seasons would work ok, but I'm only using them in the winter so might as well buy real snows. They work wonders too.

8) Ya, can't remember what it is though.

9) Not really. It makes the body roll more apparent and makes you want springs, that's bad. :p

·
Registered
646 Posts
If you are willing to do the timing belt on your own the AZ Scooby site should have the walk through I sent them on how to do it. I scanned in a walk through and diagram that was in a repair manual. I should probably scan it in again and load it up on this site or scoobymods.com

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
I've got the Dunlop sp sport 5000's too. i like them alot. i bought the Z rated ones. i 'm in Minot, ND and it just snowed here a few weeks ago, and they worked great. i was actually suprised at the amount of grip they have. but then i'm used to my Z car. so i'm not sure i can compare the dunlops to anything. welcome to the club. :)
this is a 98. they have the L series bumper on them. personally i wish i would have waited a few months and bought one with the other bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies everyone! Its much appreciated, keep them coming if anyone has anything new to add!
I thought of one more question:
Was there any major changes between the 2000 and 2001 sedans that could influence my buying decision?

-JB- said:

The blue RS is probably Billy. I'm also in that area with a black 2dr, as is Danger who has a crazy blue WRX wagon...
Yep, that's Billy. I just went over to the toronto-subaru-club.com, and did a search, and that's his car that I've been parking near! Small world. It looks really good in the flesh, even better than the pictures he posted on the other forum.
I should correct myself - he doesn't have headlight covers as I originally posted, I guess they are a special headlight he ordered (according to what I read over on the other forum.)
I'll give him a shout and let him know his car has been "inspirational." :D

(Edited for spelling)

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO 6spd
4,229 Posts
Grimace said:
Was there any major changes between the 2000 and 2001 sedans that could influence my buying decision?
Nope, unless you hate/love fake Carbon Fiber. Oh ya, about the car you posted. I noticed the front grill is the wrong color, might want to check if it's been in a wreck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I don't understand what you guys mean about the grill. Can someone post a pic of what it should look like so I can see the difference? It's difficult to find pics of the sedan's front end which is different than the coupe's (smaller fogs, etc.) so I can't find a decent pic of a stock sedan front end to compare it to the pic I posted from autotrader.ca. :confused:

Edit - Now I see what you guys mean! Wow, good eyes! I didn't notice that before. When I check out the car, I'll make sure to look for accident damage. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2000 RS BRP
209 Posts
Grimace said:
I don't understand what you guys mean about the grill. Can someone post a pic of what it should look like so I can see the difference? It's difficult to find pics of the sedan's front end which is different than the coupe's (smaller fogs, etc.) so I can't find a decent pic of a stock sedan front end to compare it to the pic I posted from autotrader.ca. :confused:

Edit - Now I see what you guys mean! Wow, good eyes! I didn't notice that before. When I check out the car, I'll make sure to look for accident damage. Thanks for the heads up.
Canadian front end is different than the US version....Fog lamps, etc....
I'm sure you can find more info online about this.

Good Luck & welcome to the club. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts