Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Nissan Titan Charcoal
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody could help me out... I just bought a RS 2.5 and i want to put an exhaust on it. Im not sure about anything about them and if you have any ideas or tips or pointers please help me out

·
Premium Member
06 Lexus Rx400h
1,661 Posts
depends on what you want out of it.. are you just going for sound or do you really want performance out of it??

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
If you are going for sound, just get an axleback and call it a day. Get something good, like prodrive, stromung... you know, $200 used or something. Just don't get an ebay muffler or something.

I'd suggest not getting a catback (axleback + midpipe). The gains from the a catback are very minimal, the same as just the axleback.

You get performance and power from changing your cat and header, but both cost about $200. And remember, you'll want an axleback too before you get these or at the time you install them.

So, my recommendation for the order you get them in (or what ones to get if you on a budget):
Axleback - Sound only ($200)
Headers - Rumble sound, some HP gain ($200)
Cat - Possibly a bit raspier, more HP gain than headers ($150-200)
Midpipe - No real gains or changes in sound? ($100 - 150)

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
Axleback - Sound only ($200)
Headers - Rumble sound, some HP gain ($200)
Cat - Possibly a bit raspier, more HP gain than headers ($150-200)
Midpipe - No real gains or changes in sound? ($100 - 150)
not to hijack your thread but when you do headers/test pipe, the stock catback MUST restrict the exhaust flow so getting a 2.25 catback must give you some gains.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
not to hijack your thread but when you do headers/test pipe, the stock catback MUST restrict the exhaust flow so getting a 2.25 catback must give you some gains.
True. So it might be beneficial to get the midpipe then. But I wouldn't get it until then. So it's better to just get the headers/track pipe, then get the midpipe after that. If you get the midpipe first, it's not really doing anything until you upgrade the other stuff.

But yea, good point.

·
Premium Member
06 Lexus Rx400h
1,661 Posts
depends where you like.. if you can get away with that and keep it state / local laws it is the ideal way to go.. just remeber.. bigger isnt always better.. so you dont need like 3'' all the way back.. but again its what you are looking for.. just strait pipe alone you wont really just notice more power

·
Premium Member
06 Lexus Rx400h
1,661 Posts
if you just want wound and dont have alot if hp add ons in the future.. get a cat back! its cheep and easy.. if you are really looking for that hp gain and boxer rumble.. u need the whole package.. intake, headers, down, stock cat is fine, flex and cat back.. you can find whole sets for pritty cheep to.. dont get an ebay one though.. they deff sound like crap i've hurd a few..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so just a catback... Alright i noticed a video on youtube its called catless and i really like the way it sounds what is "catless" is that no cat converter?

·
Premium Member
06 Lexus Rx400h
1,661 Posts
yes that is catless.. witch does change the sound.. ( louder ) in most cases.. but at the same time almost all states require a cat to pass inspection.. so you need to keep that in your mind.. its great to mod out and all that but you keep the ease of daily driver as well.. so trust me keep the cat.. a good and key word good catback will give you what you are looking for trust me.. the boxer engine has a special sound and we all love to "enhance". now dont just get a tip either.. it does nothing to help and really makes a bad sound from the one i've seen done that way. so get a nice cat back..i like the way mine sounded with a 2.5' pipe to a 3' tip.. wasnt bad at all.. little loud according to my state police but i put a silencer in it and was good to go..

also when we say dont get an e-bay one.. that doenst mean dont buy off ebay.. just that dont buy from some off brand ebay store. stick to name brands they have been around for awhile.. theres a reason borla and such have been in buisness for years.. good luck with your project..

one last thing.. look for practicality when you buy..some you have to weld on.. think are you going to be able to afford that.. others you can simply slip over your old pipe and clamp the fuck out of it.. think of where your budget and limits are b4 you buy.. and ask about install questions..

·
Registered
01 rs coupe
154 Posts
what about a custom catback, about $300, go magnaflow

that's the setup i've gpt, sounds and feels great!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok i went to the Subaru dealership and i guy told me about a package for 1000 that would give me 250 hp would that be a good deal does anybody know??

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
Ok i went to the Subaru dealership and i guy told me about a package for 1000 that would give me 250 hp would that be a good deal does anybody know??
on what car. a 2.5.... yea.. thats BS. if i was you, just keep looking in classified ad's. its not worth getting new parts for double the price.

·
Registered
01 rs coupe
154 Posts
get a custom catback fabbed up, it should cost about $300 to 400

there aren't many (if any) aftermarket catback exhausts for the 05 rs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts