Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Also tackled the rust. Thought it was only a few spots but boy was I wrong. Tons of surface rust around the windshield, with zero body work experience I jumped in headfirst cleaning everything up. It's soaking in Ospho now, just waiting for some cooler weather to paint.
Oops missed this - nice! Were you able to save the upper molding? I saved the metal molding but lost the rubber trim. Going to snag up some U channel rubber trim.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Oops missed this - nice! Were you able to save the upper molding? I saved the metal molding but lost the rubber trim. Going to snag up some U channel rubber trim.
I actually did but since it was all faded I just ordered a new one that came with clips and everything.

My whole car needs to be repainted, left it in the hot sun after a rainstorm so water got underneath the clearcoat and looks like shit :( But I knew it was gonna need paint anyway, the hood and bumper are black

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Finally had a chance to paint. Wiped off all the ospho, cleaned it up with some acetone and put down 5 layers of 2k spray primer. Excuse the shit tape job, I didn't remove the headliner so trying to stick anything around there was near impossible

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice looking project man, its looking really good! Sorry to hear about your father, that sucks. As a father myself I am starting to think about what these kinds of projects will mean to my kids. I had a Miata my kids and I fixed up and my daughter is still torn up about letting that one go. We traded it for a Mini Cooper because I am just too big for the Miata, but we all still miss it terribly, driving it was like a mini adventure every time, and I know it meant a lot to my kids. I am hoping our Impreza coupe can be special for my kids like the Miata was, we all work on it together, and I think it will be a lot more tangible for them when its a running and driving thing.

Your dad would be really happy you kept up with it and got it running. Congrats!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Nice looking project man, its looking really good! Sorry to hear about your father, that sucks. As a father myself I am starting to think about what these kinds of projects will mean to my kids. I had a Miata my kids and I fixed up and my daughter is still torn up about letting that one go. We traded it for a Mini Cooper because I am just too big for the Miata, but we all still miss it terribly, driving it was like a mini adventure every time, and I know it meant a lot to my kids. I am hoping our Impreza coupe can be special for my kids like the Miata was, we all work on it together, and I think it will be a lot more tangible for them when its a running and driving thing.

Your dad would be really happy you kept up with it and got it running. Congrats!
Thanks for your kind words! I sure hope he's happy.

They really do mean a lot. That first straight pipe startup 11 years ago still resonates with me today. We've had the car for 15 years, I'm 30 now and consider the coupe one of my most prized possessions. Christmas/birthday gifts are nice but owning and working on a project car is the best experiences I've had with my father. Work with them on the project as often as you can, they will appreciate every second of it!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

Popped the windshield in over the weekend, was MUCH easier than taking it out that's for sure!

Cleaned up the interior a bit, especially the dash. It faded a bit from years in the sun but a few layers of 303 made it look like new!

Also threw in an OMP wheel that my dad got almost 15 years ago. The horn wiring is kinda janky and jury rigged but it works at least. The wheel is a bit small for my liking but i'm keeping it.

Now I'm on the hunt for some in-shape sunvisors, the glue turned to crap and now they're drooping. Too bad they're not available anywhere. :/

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
928 Posts
Good luck finding sun visors, I think I'm gonna end up painting my tan ones.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Good luck finding sun visors, I think I'm gonna end up painting my tan ones.
Thanks, no luck so far :/

New issue came up, hunting AFR at idle.

Thought it was a vacuum leak since I sloppily threw the manifold back in a few months ago. Found a few and sealed them up but it still jumps from 10 to 17+ in random cycles at idle. Thinking the O2 was bad i threw a new one in, same issue. Checked my logs and the narrowband o2 is not providing signal until 2 mins in, and the heater circuit is down.

I'm getting a strong 14v signal coming in to the sensor, but looks like the ECU isn't grounding it properly to make a connection. I hope it's just a dirty ECU connector or something!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
cleaned up the connectors and it's still FUBAR. No clue as where to go from now, other than ripping out the entire dash, again, to see where the wire from the o2 heater ground circuit enters the ECU.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Came up with this shitty diagram:

1. 12V from battery and SBF-5 is solid, and can pull 5+ amps without a problem.

2. sensor ground to ECU is solid (0 ohms)

3. signal + and - are solid (0 ohms), ecu recognizes correct AFR after 2-3 minute warmup time.

4. pin 7 to engine ground is solid (0 ohms)

5. Resistance from "Ground to ECU" to battery neg terminal is 37-40k ohms, regardless of key position.

So now I have absolutely no idea where to go forward with this issue.

Can anyone help me out and get this thing up and running properly? Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Giving up on this project and doing a partout.

If anyone wants parts previously listed, let me know what you need and we'll work out a price. Built motor has 2 miles on it, yes 2 miles!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Giving up on this project and doing a partout.

If anyone wants parts previously listed, let me know what you need and we'll work out a price. Built motor has 2 miles on it, yes 2 miles!
I wanted to say something, just not sure what. I'm sorry to see you are moving on from this project. I understand, I am struggling with mine. Be well, good luck with your next adventure!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I wanted to say something, just not sure what. I'm sorry to see you are moving on from this project. I understand, I am struggling with mine. Be well, good luck with your next adventure!
It's a minor money put for not much results. Tried to do things the proper way and tried to replace a single ECU pin wire to get wideband logging, but turns out ECU pins cannot be removed, and now 2 cylinders are not firing and the TPS is not responsive.

It's one step forward, two steps back with it unfortunately, not sure what to do to be honest.

Thanks though!

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
928 Posts
I don’t know what my future plans are with the car, it could use a good coat of paint after 26 years and maybe some flares, but I’m sure as hell not selling it for as long as I’m still around.
I know how much it sucks to have your baby running poorly or not at all because of electrical issues. I just reworked my piggyback wiring connections, got rid of the butt connectors and soldered/shrink wrapped the splices. It's running waaay smoother now, and I'm loving it. Just the other day I was threatening to burn the car...

Anyway, hopefully I can convince you to go crawling back one more time. If not, I may be interested in the car/shell/parts.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts