Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I always wanted a 99-01 RS coupe in SRP but could never really find or afford one for awhile. Got all my finacial shit together and purchased a pretty clean 2000 SRP coupe with a blown motor from a member. Now, being as I am in Texas, GC imprezas of any trim level are a rare sight. Doesnt snow much down here so no real need for a AWD vehicle. With that being said, paid the member and had the car transported to central Texas from Indiana.
Car had no body panel rust issues, with just surface rust under the car, and actually ran but had a pretty bad knock. Keep in mind that I am new to modding subies, but not to modding cars. I have a 600whp 2jz-gte swapped Kouki S14 and a K24/K20 swapped civic EG hatch.
Here is the car when I received it...

Dirty knocking engine......
Will be pulled out shortly...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will be reusing the stock SOHC heads and going with a EJ257 bottom end with 257 stock rods and aftermarket pistons. This build will be relatively mild as this car will be taking over daily driving duties from my civic. I will be using a stock VF39 USDM STi turbo. I've gathered most of the required parts I will be needing to perform the swap, including......
OEM STi Head Gaskets....

OEM STi Oil Pump

Exedy OEM replacement Clutch....

ARP head studs.....

Gates racing timing belt replacement kit...

Mishimoto Racing thermostat.....

Picked up my Hydra EMS today off a Sti guy in Austin. Still in great condition, these things go for like $2000 brand new. Got mine for 1/4 the price. Need to send it back to Hydra to reprogram it to work with a RS. The reprogram cost $150, but after that, should be good to go.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Autometer Cobalt oil pressure and boost gauges....

Denso OEM style top feed 750cc injectors..

Deatschwerks 300lph in tank fuel pump.......

3 gauge pod.......

Complete upper gasket kit....

AEM wideband...

Grimmspeed phenolic Intake manifold gaskets..

Fuel lab AFPR....

Got my FMIC kit in the mail today. It's used, bit I know it fits good In a GC with the swap I'm going with. Even came with a HKS BOV flange already welded on.

HKS BOV....

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
.025mm Oversized Manley pistons.....

Grimmspeed MBC.....

Grimmspeed ported and ceramic coated stock WRX manifold and Grimmspeed larger diameter crosspipe..

Complete Grimspeed exhaust gaskets....

Things also collected but no pics yet are a WRX crossmember, aftermarket up pipe, picked up a low mileage EJ257 short block, rods, and VF39 turbo, got the block bored/honed/hot tanked, jumper harness for my Hydra EMS from element tuning, sent cams off to delta for turbo grinds, covert oil pick up and 06 STi oil pan, megan racing mounts, and other misc. small items.

Still need to fab up a custom 3in downpie and exhaust setup, and order a set of KYB struts and Ground control coilovers to address the suspension needs.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I always liked OEM style black housing headlights and amber corners combination, so I picked up a set for the impreza.
Black housing on right, stock on left...

And comparison between the amber corners and clear corners that were on the car..

Installed on car pics...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Pic of dirty engine bay with motor yanked...

Thats all for now folks, work wont resume on the car until after the christmas holidays, and likely wont be finished til after the new years holidays. In the mean time I will be cleaning up and repainting the valve covers silver and the intake manifold STi wrinkle red and will be doing the parallel fuel line mod.

·
Premium Member
2001 2.5RS-T BRP
575 Posts
I don't think that clutch is going to do the job you want it to do. You really should consider installing a clutch and flywheel from an 06 and newer WRX. It will have a much higher torque holding capacity.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think that clutch is going to do the job you want it to do. You really should consider installing a clutch and flywheel from an 06 and newer WRX. It will have a much higher torque holding capacity.
Def need a new HD Clutch.

But for sure OEM wrx ones are just as good

Actually, when we split the motor from the tranny, there was a beefy barely used spec clutch and lightweight flywheel already installed!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After doing some research about the swap, seems like the valves have a tendacy to float at over 6000rpm and 8psi or more, so I bit the bullet and ordered Supertech Dual valve springs and retainers today. Project is definately not on the cheap side...

1 - 20 of 200 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.