Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001, Subaru, Impreza 2.5 RS,
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am well aware that a lot of you have mods on your cars. And that some have a turbo and other engine work. I am looking at getting the power package 3 from Cobb, or even a turbo, havent decided. But what I was saying is that what do you guys do when that time comes around? You know, the time to SMOG. I think that it is a little hard to take off a turbo or pull some cams and cylinder heads every 2 years. Will a 2.5 RS pass SMOG with Cobb cams and cylinder heads (headers even)? I am just wondering what you guys do every two years.

·
Registered
MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS BRP
2,605 Posts
try the forums at cobbtuning. if you really worry about it. turbo is a lot eaiser to take off and bolt on comparing to cam and head. bro, that a lot of $$!! definitly dyno that beast when you are done! :D

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
i think the real question (for me at least) is what you (I) want. I've been thinking about this for the LONGEST time! Stay NA? or go force induction...? Up till now I still can't decide... :lol: and it has been a year now. :D

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
leo, i got another idea...stay NA. buy an old 240SX, get SR20. i think that plan will still be cheaper than a turbo kit for an impreza. wait, i think that is sorta my plan.

oh, as for the passing smog part, i don't think you should worry too much about it. i heard of a guy that ran a straight pipe on a supra TT (and he wasn't running stock boost), lots of mods, and he still passed smog. friend of mines got a FC, running no cats, 15psi, got flames coming out of his exhaust, his bumper is all black, he passed smog in CALIFORNIA. what ways, i don't know.

jz

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Sorry, but you will NOT pass smog in California with any mods on your engine. They are very careful to check everything, and if you've got one thing missing or non-stock, they kick you to the curb. The guy with the Supra and straight pipe either bribed the inspector or got VERY lucky. I've had to take a 1988 Honda Civic back two times because of little things being wrong, and it was completely STOCK! :eek:

However, heads and cams can be very hard to detect - unless they are painted bright red or something - so you *might* get away with it. However, what really matters will be the emissions. I have no idea what the cams do to your emissions, so that is something you will have to find out from other owners in California with COBB heads who have tried. Good luck!

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
that guy with the supra TT ran his car very lean just for the inspections. well, i still don't know how my friend with the RX7 passes smog.

jz

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
you might pass the computer but not the visual....

Jansen, I think I am going to do something along that line. but more like getting another impreza and strip the darn thing for rally. :D

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5rs Sedan
72 Posts
If you want a completely smog legal turbo set-up for your 2.5rs just swap in a usdm wrx engine. I think the entire thing costs 7500 including engine, tranny, etc and labor and includes clutch/flywheel i think.

-Chav

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
yea, all total is about 7500.

but with 7500, i would rather build up a 240sx. get a crappy 240sx for 2000, SR20DET, tranny, and misc stuff, probably 4000-5000. then save more money for suspension and tires. hey, at least with the 240sx, my tranny wouldn't blow up. :lol:

jz

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have heard from many people that with the COBB "spicy" cams, you wont pass emissions. Im not sure if it is completely accurate because like i said, i have heard . I cant verify anything...yet (give me about 6-7 months and i will have the cams, they are kinda far down on my list of mods).

Ryan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts