Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Thank you. Although it may be harder to find I'm sure it's easier to find all the nice parts we don't have here.

- Noticed a few things in my edits. What I see in app changes once the file is sent out. I guess in the future I'll go lighter on my edits so they appear as I'd like them too. I may rework some of these when I have more time.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Well gents... Friday was a sad day. We were just cruising around town when on the way home the car died out.

Easy check so far: No spark, No fuel. No injector Pulse. Crank & Cam sensors tested passed and swapped JIC. Timing is fine. I'll dig a bit deeper during the week but for now I suspect wiring/ecu.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Trouble shooting has begun. I'll take the manual and break it down day by day. I'm doing it in such fashion to avoid any frustrations or traveling down the rabbit hole with one thought. Each day I do some testing (in my mind) it will be approached with a fresh set of eyes. It will take longer of course, but no rush.

DIAGNOSTICS FOR ENGINE STARTING FAILURE

CHECK MAIN RELAY
1)Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
2)Remove the main relay.
3)Connect the battery to main relay terminals No. 1 and No. 2.
wired up a lead from the battery and split it once inside cabin to ensure T1 & T2 would see batt. 12v.
4)Measure the resistance between main relay terminals
NO. 3 - NO. 5 Less Than 10? Yes
NO. 4 - NO. 6 Less Than 10? Yes

Conclusion: at this point main relay can be ruled out.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
06/06/20
Looky here, still have popped the crank pulley or center timing cover off but It seems the timing may have jumped.

let's hope I'm really lucky

- Present Time
I have decided to build engine B for this car as well. I'm being driven insane. :( It will be a freshly assembled EJ20. The crank pulley won't come off and I've tried my darnedest. Logic, my free time is not so free right now, making my window of opportunity tight. If the motor has to come out, may as well drop another in. As for the engine coming out, it will be leak tested and if everything is alright a new belt and OEM tensioner will be installed and the engine included with the sale.

....which leads to these updates. Used USDM EJ20 I received in a trade for JDM fenders.

teardown

nooice.....owner claimed the engine had bad head gaskets. Didn't bother me one bit as the engine will be bored .020 over.

Cut wire shot processed factory rods, AKA shot peened. Come Monday I plan to let Bob at GE handle the machining.
  • Bore Hone
  • Line bore & hone
  • Re-seizing Rods
  • Balance rotating assembly

lastly, some fresh hardware.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
636 Posts
Did you try the ol' 'Wedge the breaker bar under the frame rail and bump the starter'? I've used that many times on stuck crank and cam pulleys, works a treat. I'll
Make sure the fuel pump is disco or something so it doesn't manage to fire while bumping the starter. If your luck is anything like mine, that'll be the one time it fires right up.

Also impressed that you got the crank position sensor out without gouging the housing while digging out the twisted, broken remains of what was once a sensor. I don't think I've ever managed to salvage one from a used engine.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Man i tried everything, even the baddest milwaukee impact and nothing. Frozen solid.

Long and short of the story, I'm positive the tensioner allowed the car to jump timing.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
07/08
Crank for the EJ hot tank and polished, but I fear I may have put the cart before the horse as I plan to balance the bottom end.

I've also been working on the cylinder heads, focusing on radiuses as much as I can. I started with the most challenging cylinders first. Far from complete, just sharing where I'm at.

07/010
short block is officially at GE.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
nothing fancy just some porting updates. I do not know why I'm obsessed with porting cylinder heads, it just is what it is.

Exhaust sides are almost done, but I'll need to get some more finishing bits. then I'll look into some chamber coatings.

and because I was missing the finishing bits, I started the intake side today.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Made some progress on the heads this week, I'd like to haver them finished up and off to the machine shop by monday.

random snap of the seats as I start the bowls. This set of heads were horrible from the factory compared to the others I did for myself.

almost done.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts