Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Too much love haha, sorting bolts after Zinc sucks. I appreciate the motivational words always, definitely means builders still exist; and by all means give the wrinkle gray a shot it was designed to be used by us, the consumers.

Definitely dreading BAR, however I hope I can find the solution as I would love to have this car road legal. I know the dealer checks the ecu and the checksum values must match. I'm hoping although it will be flashed due to the mods, that I can re-write the factory checksum value. I wish the bar would come to terms with the fact that tuned cars run better than factory maps in certain cases. I get that it would open a flood gate and would make their lives complicated but facts are facts.

Updates:
Sunday install is looking promising.

TDL before then:
  • Gather Fluids
  • Rear main seal
  • Clean up air box
  • Install BOV line
  • Attempt to clean bay if time permits
misc bits added

fan boy me at it again

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I made it as far as a quick degreasing lol. My wife wants the car red, so I will leave the epic cleanliness for the day that takes place.

She's ALIVE!!!!! Just a short start up. I'll elaborate later.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Victory pics, running so nice. Had to sort some hood closure issues today; also had to buy a new rad cap, I forgot that I had given mine to my buddy for his ej207 swap.

Next; it's time to decide what tuning platform will be purchased.

do you see it?

corrected.

victory cruise to the exhaust shop. Removing the welded 1pc turbo back exhaust and going to a flanged setup.

·
Registered
2.5RS, STI, BRZ, ZL1 vert, X5D
195 Posts
Totally bad ass man.. Love the attention to detail with reconditioning all the parts/bolts and you did a great job with the wrinkle paint.. Hope my engine bay looks as good as yours when I'm done.

PS - Do you have to bake that wrinkle paint on after you spray it or just let it dry?

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I hated sifting through it all but I'm so glad I did it, Thank you!

You can let it air dry or oven cure. Air dry gives you the nice fat wrinkles; oven shrinks them.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
When you hate friends & love them at the same time. I had no business buying these parts but TY Doug-lasssss for the tag! This Just happened.

Yesterdays deliveries.

Reminds me of the late 90's when your civic had to have them red & clear tails.:lol:

·
Registered
2001 SRP RS Coupe, 05 FXT
375 Posts
Looks like things are coming together!

Pink i-badges are a hot commodity right now. I got one recently, but didn't end up being in too great of shape

·
Registered
2.5RS, STI, BRZ, ZL1 vert, X5D
195 Posts
Always nice to find painted parts that arrive in the right colour! :cool:

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Looks like things are coming together!

Pink i-badges are a hot commodity right now. I got one recently, but didn't end up being in too great of shape
Slowly but surely.
Thanks Rev. I took my time to find this one and just decided to buy the grill since badges alone fetch a premium. I'll restore the badge in the future it's not perfect.

Always nice to find painted parts that arrive in the right colour! :cool:
It definitely is; wish I could find a white s201 hood hahaha

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
597 Posts
I BAR'd a JDM EJ207 V6 converted to OBDII - my journal is full of info on what I did.

But, you seem like you're doing your research well enough. Just make it a 20xx WRX and you'll be set.

I used a stock 2002 WRX ECU and remapped it with a cobb access port. Delicious Tuning did the tune. So long as you flash a stock ECU and don't turn off a bunch of SMOG required sensors, you should be OK.

-TC

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
YESSSSSS! You rock dude, All I want removed is TGV codes, the car runs tits less the evap code for psi. I plan to purchase a new gas cap and sensor tomorrow. If I can recalibrate the TGV sensors I won't even have to delete them and I'm set. Stock cats and downpipe were put on at the exhaust shop.

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
597 Posts
You can't scrub TGV codes, anything with O2 monitoring, etc. If it's part of the intake or exhaust (including turbo, inlet, intake, etc.) it has to be stock. That includes the full exhaust including muffler.

I think I actually glossed over something - when I went to BAR I had a 2002 WRX ECU with TD04 with restrictor pill, stock boost solenoid, stock intake and exhaust, etc. The ECU was from an auto, so the only codes adjusted / turned off had to do with the auto trans. Nothing with the motor was adjusted. I may have disabled the EGT, but I can't remember if that was pre or post BAR.

Then after I got through the BAR, that's when I tuned it with a VF28, JDM exhaust, 725cc injectors, etc. I still tuned a 2002 WRX ECU but made sure we didn't turn off anything related to SMOG equipment. I've now successfully smogged with this setup, passing both visual and OBDII scanning.

-TC

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
You can't scrub TGV codes, anything with O2 monitoring, etc. If it's part of the intake or exhaust (including turbo, inlet, intake, etc.) it has to be stock. That includes the full exhaust including muffler.

I think I actually glossed over something - when I went to BAR I had a 2002 WRX ECU with TD04 with restrictor pill, stock boost solenoid, stock intake and exhaust, etc. The ECU was from an auto, so the only codes adjusted / turned off had to do with the auto trans. Nothing with the motor was adjusted. I may have disabled the EGT, but I can't remember if that was pre or post BAR.

Then after I got through the BAR, that's when I tuned it with a VF28, JDM exhaust, 725cc injectors, etc. I still tuned a 2002 WRX ECU but made sure we didn't turn off anything related to SMOG equipment. I've now successfully smogged with this setup, passing both visual and OBDII scanning.

-TC
Oh crap, looks like I have to dig up my stock inlet. And prep for a day of wrenching LOL. Thanks again.

anyone want to let me borrow some functional TGV's? hehe

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Enjoying some fresh air outside tonight. Let the kids play while I adjusted the front bumper gaps.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Nothing much happening here, went to visit a friends shop, another friend snapped this dope photo.

Mechanically I need to revisit a few things:

- Aluminum coolant cross pipe has a leak, low-key seems like destiny. I'll be taking this time to revert the Turbo inlet, turbo, manifold gaskets, injectors back to stock to properly take the state ref test.

- car has a P0452 at key-on alluding to a wiring fault. I'll be looking into that as well.

- experiencing a weird hum in boost with factory BOV and plan to smoke test for leaks; outside of those 3 things she's been running great.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
- Updates: Car needed a new windshield and I almost lost a side marker.

B&A replacement

saving a side marker on the fly = more jdm :lol:

Spotted in socal - hope I was on my best driving behavior :eek:

lastly, I ended up selling the old tails and purchased new ones. Now that I have non-necessary parts out the way I will focus on the whole ecu/bluetooth car update.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Think I've found my editing style, needs some fine tuning but I have time God willing.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts