Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The long days are beginning to catch up with me. A laundry list of tedious updates await the engine but I either forget parts here or there and kick myself for not remembering. Having a moment to self, I decided to fit some parts to the short block today, and as I was about to clock out, the cylinder heads were dropped off. YEEEEEE!

Cheap security for $45 shipped, moroso pick up + 05 sti windage tray

05 oil pan on

forgot to send the mount & oil pan bolts off to zinc, so I painted them with rustoleum.

visual fruits of labor

??

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Wife mentioned the parts zone, which meant move them; My how quickly a short block becomes a longblock w/ the proper motivation lol.

as for tonight, once the kids are sleep. I'll begin turning two sketchy harnesses into 1 good one and re-taping it..

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Last Nights Fiasco. I found that harness was retapped before, de-looming took some effort. There were also hidden twisted wire repairs and twisted frayed wiring throughout the tear down.

de-loomed, soldered and shrinked repairs.

ended the night with this quick tape job to hold wires together and mark the areas I'm unfamiliar with. Tonight we TESA :eek:

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Can't believe I missed this last night......so much for attention to detail giggty giggity

corrected.

final prep

Thanos level unlocked. End Game. Now it's time for a good nights rest. Be sure to treat those Ladies like Queens today fellas, it's Valentines Day. GNYT!

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Over the weekend I picked up this GR TMIC for a steal. The ej205 has a vf39 & sti pinks so I figured why not upgrade the TMIC as well. Anyway, my gut feeling was to clean it, boy am I glad I did.....

yes, all of this was inside the tmic

Ended the night with setting valve lash. LH Head .008 & .011 consistently, RH head .008 & .011, cyl 2 exh .012.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Dam mekes me want to clean up my engine bay more.
HAHA it's never a bad thing.

Great work sir!
Thanks man, appreciate that.

YEEEEEEEE Made some progress on the engine assembly.

If I could pick some brains for a minute, your assistance would be appreciated-I would like to BAR this engine does cobb seem like the best tuning platform for something like this? Or tactrix & a laptop make the most sense "bang for the buck." I plan to let Yimi handle the tune, but can I get some insight on what setup is ideal for something like this?

love this tool

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,726 Posts
That thing looks pristine!

Now come do mine ?

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
That thing looks pristine!

Now come do mine ?
haha I would, strangely enough I like to know exactly what bolt goes where by looking at it. The more practice I get, the sharper I get.

Where you got the new screws and bolts?
They are not new, I just had them dipped in zinc

Updates

minimized the TGV delete procedure (because bar rememberz). I hope the consequences are minimal too.

paving the way for some thermal plastics:banana:

I don't know why, I was stoked about this pick up today. Old age perhaps :confused:

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
IDK what's going on, but I find myself obsessing over details. I just couldn't forget those parts store PCV hoses I have, that are just too bulky for the fitting size. With the engine looking "clean" I couldn't be ignored any longer, so, I called up Subaru of Ontario and ordered some up. Going over my cylinder head images, looks like I missed one.

with passing state ref in mind, I'll be using this stocker.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

radiused transitions on the stock manifold, smoothened casting about 3" down, nothing fancy.

"a lil paint goes a long way"

Back to stock for now - bricks will be shat, state ref is coming.

[Why the color variations? Let me bore you: It was sometime ago that I was testing clear zinc but the parts were far too worn and I tossed them aside (out if sight, out of mind). Realizing some pcs. were missing from the manifold, I dug them back up. I'm trying to button-up this whole ordeal as missing parts are on order. It's the last of the last before the engine is "ready."

Overkill Syndrome: I was in the mood to correct the hues and went looking for my silver paint. All of a sudden I couldn't find my can(s). Thinking to myself I just had the paints yesterday, all in a row. Lightbulb; My cheap buddy came by today talking about his ROTAS and decided to borrow my black (dude it's only $4.00 a can), well incidentally he also grabbed the silver, killing that dream of paint matching leaving us with the holy trinity of colors]

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Spent some time reading about a possible dilemma I've created by putting "the cart before the horse," in the mods department. So, this is for all ECU/programmers/Tuners/Members with some experience. If you wish to answer this in messenger that is fine with me or if you care to shine some light on an ecu solution-in messenger, I'd appreciate it. In regards to the mods mentioned above and ecu issues that I may face, would it be fitting to say, I'm on the right path if I were to choose R.R'dr to hornswoggle "checksum?"

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Engine is almost ready to drop-in

straightened out some fins on the TMIC

·
Registered
2001 SRP RS Coupe, 05 FXT
375 Posts
Loving the attention to detail! Little love (lotta love?) goes a long way. Engine looks great, and all that extra effort to zinc plate the hardware really makes things look nice. I really like the wrinkle grey too. Might have to steal that idea on my next build..

As far as BAR, from what I've read I think you have to have your ECU verified by a Subaru dealer, and must be running a stock map. I don't think you can be on an aftermarket tune with any codes deleted. Take this with a grain of salt, because I haven't done it myself, but I know they've changed some things in recent years.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts