Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Went for a quick drive up the block without a P/S pump or alternator belt and everything seems just about normal. I do need to fix something in the steering column, or rack. The column has play like a tilt column, even when locked.

Took off a pair BBS, one needed a flat repair but the space savers looked so good I threw them all 4 on....damn I love it! Temporary but I love the look.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
found the issue to the wonky steering I experienced last drive. The column adjustment was off preventing the proper seating needed for stability. I still plan on replacing this bushing collar.

after the 02 P/S pump arrived in poor shape, I sourced an 05 sti pump & bracket, had to hit the dealer for the adjustment bolt/tensioner assembly. Using the SPUSA P/S line kit, I was able to situtate everything, all fitted, bled and working correctly.

as for today, it was an interesting waste of $20. Excited to cruise this thing to get the brake and light inspection done, I washed it up to hit the gas station. $30 on 10 please, just a half tank cruise feeling eerie. As the meter approached $20, I hear Niagara falls in the distance..... as I peek under the car, I just see streams of gas pouring from side B of the tank. Idiots I thought, hopes and dreams fleeting, but I was the bigger idiot for not noticing the second hole in the tank. Well back home we go for the fix, after alerting staff, I drove home watching every bit of that 20 leave a trail of all the way back to my driveway.

please ignore temporary plate swap LOL #thuglifechoseme

hit autozone once more for their "tank repair", I like the jb weld stuff better but is more susceptible to fuel during initial application.

after finding the side markers in the trunk, I decided to tackle that install as well, which lead me to an ABS harness damage and repair.

side markers on and functional.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Picking up where we left off yesterday, more gas. First day on the open road in the books. 62 miles of round trip fun and 1 thumbs up, we are back at home.

Things to sort:
Purchase Denso MAF
Exhaust Gaskets
Compression Test
Tune Up
Find Boost Leak
Rear ride height/Suspension pre-load
Braking (needs pads & rotors)
Alignment/Steering wheel position
Headlight Bulb Retainer
Trade hood or hood scoop :lol:

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,735 Posts
Ouch, sorry to see the second fuel tank hole. Luckily it was caught before anything happened.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ouch, sorry to see the second fuel tank hole. Luckily it was caught before anything happened.
Agreed, glad all it took was spent gas and no injuries.

Small Update:
New engine time?? after finding this fouled plug and "0" compression on cylinder 3 I've decided to put it may be time for a new engine vs servicing it. I've spoken to an importer and they have the twin turbo ej20, would anyone happen to know if the LONGBLOCK is plug and play? or will I need to do the usually cam gear swap?

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just returned from checking out the two engines, one was ID'd as a phase II and the other a phase III. After some more reading, I've learned the "EJ20TT (ej206/208)" Phase III differs so much so, it is the least likely candidate for a simple 02-03 wrx cross over.

By ID'ing the cylinder heads (on the phase II starting with a B, phase III is H), I have come to understand their cam sprocket is possibly the exact match to the USDM V7 WRX sprocket found in OP's link. Thank goodness the timing cover was cracked on that engine I guess lol.

the drawbacks: increased C/R, which is not a HUGE concern but it is, the need for plugging coolant and oil lines from the LEFT side turbo (marginal cost increase), valve covers are different than the USDM wrx so replacement/service parts may differ (future maintenance stress), and lastly the injectors are side feed vs top (the basic cut and solder will cure that, it's only 2 wires).
EJ25 Engine Installation Guide | Element Tuning

BH5A - 8.5:1 Compression - "Phase-II", or V5/6 generation.
BH5B - 8.5:1 Compression - "Phase-II", or V5/6 generation.

Being the "rebuild what you have type," armed with this info. I have a convoluted choice of preference to make. Budget replacement or budget rebuild....ugghhhh

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
had some phone with the iPhone and tried to make some youtube content. I've officially named her "faye." I'll expand on that overtime. As for the build one more video will go up tomorrow talking about the ISB failure for the 5spd.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
PT.II is up w/ leak down results. One more vid and it's back to pics until we stir up some new content. Trying to get my boys at the shop involved.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
A Video covering ISB failure is up. I'll be posting some pics tonight/tomorrow.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Something about images just resonates with me. Due to that fact, not sure if I'll keep doing videos & post. It's nearly 3/4x the work, only time will tell. As of right now, let's just enjoy the journey.

Engine Removal - “0” compression cylinder 3.

Disassembly - after hearing air hissing out the turbo on the leak down test, I began taking apart the RH head

I also noted timing had moved and belt tension was extremely sloppy. Even though the tensioner was strong it would move as if it were seized and suddenly freed up. While checking everything I noticed the broken rear tooth on the cam gear. Is this from being pried off?

this cam cap bolt was seized. after cutting a grove wide enough for an impact driver I was finally able to get it out.

AAA to the rescue, back home she goes until I can sort the heads.

Gave the heads a quick rinse; not a fan of greasy / oil saturated parts when preforming cast cleaning.

To avoid going apes, but still wanting to improve the situation, I set out to clean some cast flaws, and blend some bowls. I would not be going all out as I did with my B25 Heads.

another bath

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I find the infamous crack I didn’t see earlier

somewhere in the timeline I began “porting the TB & IM runners.” In the name of efficiency I do these things, I swear.:D

a member on FB was kind enough to donate these to the repair

more cleaning, pete peeves I tell ya! I’m plagued with them.

Then this deal reared its head. I couldn’t pass it up as I plan to BAR both this car and my bugeye. 200 miles huh? I say give or take 1000. Let's be frank, some sellers like to hype up sales.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I was dreading buying new valves for this engine and contemplated what to buy? When I remembered I had complete 05 STI valvetrain, I quickly dug them up for some prep work. Downtime is the worst for a dreamer. While I waited on the valve guides, given the spark plug crack, this would be the prime opportunity to test what I've read here and there about "thermal" coatings. Without spoiling my next update Mr.D, this is what I was up too. The heads will eventually need to be replaced, that's a given, but who tears apart a perfectly working engine for no reason? Not I, at least not these days, where time is of the essence. Leaving the cracked heads in play would give me that reason, on the next tear down I can inspect all the shenanigans I've arranged. So the timer is set; 2yrs or less.

Chip resistant so far. I dropped two of them from 4ft high onto a wood floor. ?

bronze guides not needed for this street car, these stockers will do.

the valve springs from my 05 STI (couldn't dig up any info. about the green color spring; anyone else know?)

05 STI bumpsticks w/ AVCS plugged, "anti friction" coating. Before I install these does the plug need to run the entire length of the AVCS hole? :confused:

cylinder heads receive the same "theorized" treatment

typical fan boy wrinkle prep; 18hr days for vanities....what am I thinking

I have yet to mic the new sizes - TB all cleaned up

and finally the rallytech radiator shroud arrives. I'll be trimming it myself to accommodate the GD radiator.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
While waiting for parts to arrive, I'd spend some nights after work cleaning and prepping for the re-assembly. I still have a few things left, thankfully I'm almost there - Heads are out getting a valve job and surfacing, if all goes well we should be running by Sun. night. My biggest worry at the moment, is, if my injectors don't come back from cleaning today, that plan goes right out the window.

Failed my first attempt at gray wrinkle

Murk'd it on my second attempt

Freshened up the timing covers. New is always easy, reconditioning is the fun challenge.

purchased a new inlet. Being a WRX engine in a GC, the old inlet was missing one port.

some gaskets, ss and thermal. IDK why, I've always been a thermal gasket fan.

lately for todays' update, I purchased this kit for its current and future provisions

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
I sleep 6-8 hrs. I'm not one to idle the day away if I have much "to do." When I'm dead, I'll get more than my fair share of it, LOL.

On that note, more productivity. Grease and I are not friends. Cleaned up the block as best I could, but this is where it get's scary. I could not heat cure this ceramic coating as I've done everything else. I was afraid to torch the cylinders.

A friend of mine who does powder coating lent me some proper oven/heat safe tape - prepped TGVs for wrinkle as well. and plan on re-shooting the IM. Just awaiting heads, Injectors, and the 05 sti oil pan.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Pinks are back from cleaning, 05 sti oil pan has arrived. I have the 05 pick up and baffle, but I have a deal pending for the moroso pick up. Still awaiting heads to come back from the machine shop.

Things I'd like to finish to get this thing put back together but the winds here are ridiculous RN: wrinkle TGVs, Redo Intake manifold, match port/port headers that were on the engine.

pan arrived w/ a lil damage, but should be ok.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Laid some wrinkle down on the TGVs. Now, before I ran out of paint I had 2 orders from separate places cancel them, one was set to arrive today or tomorrow; I saw the cancel notice this morning. The other I asked if it was in stock and seller cancelled my order with no reply; GRRRR! Well, I just ordered 4 cans as a precautionary measure. I hope this order doesn't get cancelled, I'd love to shoot the manifold and be done with it all.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
- Todays Shenanigans
wrapped the oil pan in silver "heat shield."

New mounts

Began taper porting of the exhaust manifold

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
241 Posts
Beautiful junkyard rescue! Takes a lot of faith to pick up a car and gamble with so many apparent issues, not even talking about all the other hiccups you ran into along the way this far. Grease being your enemy on a rebuild...I can empathize on how much extra time is spent tackling this issue - it borders on obsession! I just rebuilt my wife's Fozzy with 140k and the amount of extra time spent unnecessarily degreasing every component is ridiculous for me and maddening for her. But it looks so much better once assembled. Great work thus far. Lookin forward to your thread updates!

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks 6!!! It certainly does border obsession. A task for the detail oriented no doubt. I just wish I could have it all back together in the car already, but waiting on heads.

·
Registered
2002 RSTI, 1999 RS
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Intake manifold finally redone, what a learning experience it has been. This wrinkle gray is definitely most finicky of all the wrinkles I've used. From now on I'll leave it to the pros.

overboard hardware.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts