Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yeah they're definitely pricey if you're paying retail. I don't have many friends in the car world, but I am fortunate to have a couple and they have been extremely generous in helping source parts for this little car's revival.
Those kinds of friends are great to have!

Not parts related but I needed to weld in a bung for my IAT into my SS piping. My buddy offered to do it for me but he lives an hour away and 20$ in tolls. I thought I'd save time so I went to a local machine shop and they quoted me $200, saying that gas was expensive....nevertheless I went with my buddy's help and he gave me shit for even going to the shop in the first place!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Just a little update. I got the correct lateral links in and mounted. I also decided that since I've gone this far I might as well just replace the old crusty axels so I got a set of new axels in and mounted. All that's left is getting a set of kartboy endlinks and then mounting and balancing the tires. It will feel good to have this thing back on the ground, even if it is going right back under the knife.

White Light Camera accessory Automotive tire Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
where did you get those axles from? they look nice.
They are new axels from cardone. I prepped and painted the cv cups and axle shafts to try and prevent them from surface rusting. We'll see how they do. I've had good luck with that brand on other projects so I'm hopeful they won't give me any issues. Can't be worse than the four mismatched axles I pulled off the car.

·
Registered
'99 2.5RS
387 Posts
They are new axels from cardone. I prepped and painted the cv cups and axle shafts to try and prevent them from surface rusting. We'll see how they do. I've had good luck with that brand on other projects so I'm hopeful they won't give me any issues. Can't be worse than the four mismatched axles I pulled off the car.
no wonder. they look amazing painted!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Well a momentous day yesterday, for me anyway. I finally got the RS back on the ground and rolling. It still needs a ton of work in my eyes but it was good to see it back on those ugly wheels for now. Fenders are just loosely handing on the car for now. I need to fix some bent mounting tabs before bolting them on and lining everything up. It doesn't look like much, but everything short of the engine and glass has been pulled out of this car and cleaned, repaired, or replaced. It's almost a shame to cover it all back up. Here's some photos of the current state of the car.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
love the dog and damn dude, rust free eh? now thats a real unicorn lol. Looking really good
Thanks, she a real sweetheart. Yeah I though for sure I would find some rust that had been hidden by previous owners, but luckily the body is in solid shape. I mean there's 25yrs of door dings but that's not bad considering some of them I have seen.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks, she a real sweetheart. Yeah I though for sure I would find some rust that had been hidden by previous owners, but luckily the body is in solid shape. I mean there's 25yrs of door dings but that's not bad considering some of them I have seen.
I'd be super happy to have something with just sun fade, or dings, all repairable whenever you feel like

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I've been trying to decide what my plan should be with the paint on the car. Color code on the VIN is 47A, black pearl metallic. The options I'm considering are
1. Respray the entire car Java Black Pearl to match my 04 STi.
2. Respray the entire car Black Pearl Metallic to stay with an OEM look.

I had a little time last night to polish a test panel on the car, so I picked one of the best locations on the car. It came out ok, but there's still some pitting and stains in the clearcoat than can't be fixed without getting much more aggressive.

Before

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive tail & brake light Hood

After
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Tire

For those of you that have painted your cars what would you do? Full color change or stick with the factory color?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've been trying to decide what my plan should be with the paint on the car. Color code on the VIN is 47A, black pearl metallic. The options I'm considering are
1. Respray the entire car Java Black Pearl to match my 04 STi.
2. Respray the entire car Black Pearl Metallic to stay with an OEM look.

I had a little time last night to polish a test panel on the car, so I picked one of the best locations on the car. It came out ok, but there's still some pitting and stains in the clearcoat than can't be fixed without getting much more aggressive.

Before

View attachment 90541

View attachment 90542

After
View attachment 90543

View attachment 90544

For those of you that have painted your cars what would you do? Full color change or stick with the factory color?
I like the idea of it matching the STI, but while black looks good it doesn't look good for long. If I wasn't fortunate enough to get my first pick for OEM color, my plan was to go with Cool Grey Metallic: 86F.

Just my opinion of course as it goes with this sort of thing lol
edit: i am so jealous of how clean your car is dude.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I like the idea of it matching the STI, but while black looks good it doesn't look good for long. If I wasn't fortunate enough to get my first pick for OEM color, my plan was to go with Cool Grey Metallic: 86F.

Just my opinion of course as it goes with this sort of thing lol
edit: i am so jealous of how clean your car is dude.
That cool gray is a beautiful color no doubt. I'm hesitant to stray too far from black as my brain will have me stripping the car back down to a bare shell to make sure there's no remnants of the old color. At least with JBP I might be able to get away with not pulling everything down to the shell. You've given me something to think about though, that is an excellent color.

·
Registered
57 Posts
honestly dude the black is really nice, it works with any other accent colors you want. I just personally don't want to maintain a black car in general. I'd say if you don't hate it or that doesn't bother you, to go with OEM to save a hassle lol. This is the only black car I have owned and its probably the last. But seeing as you have your 07 you know how it is
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Grille

·
Registered
2001 SRP RS Coupe, 05 FXT
484 Posts
I'm most likely going with 86F or aspen white when i get around to doing my car. It's sedona red now, so definitely will be stripping the entire shell so everything matches. Obviously keeping it black is going to be the easiest thing to do

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I'm most likely going with 86F or aspen white when i get around to doing my car. It's sedona red now, so definitely will be stripping the entire shell so everything matches. Obviously keeping it black is going to be the easiest thing to do
Oh man aspen white is another favorite of mine. I don’t think I have the patience to take an all black car and make it white. For me it’s really going to be a toss up of which black to go with.
Why are you moving away from the red?

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,829 Posts
Personally I’d stay with the OEM color 47A… or go with obsidian black. My 05 LGT was that color and the blue fleck was 👌🏼

61 - 80 of 87 Posts