Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Post weekend update. Got the fuel tank cleaned out and ready to go back in a soon as a new pump shows up. Also broke down the rear knuckles in anticipation of new wheel bearings. Also started installing some of these whiteline bushings I've been hording. I also spent the better part of a day on my back scrubbing and degreasing the undercarriage because the pressure washer just didn't get it clean enough.

All clean and ready to go back in.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

No more sand and gravel...
Water Liquid Fluid Wood Tints and shades

Knucles all prepped for bearings to arrive. New bushings in place.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Auto part

More whiteline goodies replacing 25yr old rubber.
Hand tool Automotive tire Tool Publication Bicycle part

Road surface Asphalt Automotive lighting Bag Luggage and bags

Time to start putting this thing back together...
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Light Automotive design

·
Registered
'01 2.5RS STM Sedan
148 Posts
Knucles all prepped for bearings to arrive. New bushings in place.
View attachment 89318

More whiteline goodies replacing 25yr old rubber.
View attachment 89319
Did you have difficulty mounting the trailing arms with the Whiteline polyurethane bushings?
Automotive tire Bumper Rim Bicycle part Wood

Mine were off quite a bit and made installation a hassle. I am swapping to GrpN this summer as I was not pleased with the fitment with my set.

Did you also repaint your knuckles? They look great.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Did you have difficulty mounting the trailing arms with the Whiteline polyurethane bushings?
View attachment 89469
Mine were off quite a bit and made installation a hassle. I am swapping to GrpN this summer as I was not pleased with the fitment with my set.

Did you also repaint your knuckles? They look great.
I'm not sure how they fit, I haven't go tto the point of putting it back together yet. I did notice they seamed much wider than the factory bushings so I guess we'll see soon.

Thanks! Yeah I ran the knuckles through an ultrasonic cleaner and the sprayed them with rust encapsulator. I don't know if it will hold up but I don't see how it could hurt.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I had a few more new parts show up this last week and finally started down the road of re assembly.

Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Asphalt Road surface

New clutch, flywheel, kartboy shifter and bushings, torque solutions shift linkage, and stainless brake lines. Also all new wheel bearings and seals for each corner. As well as new axle seals for the transmission and rear diff.

White Automotive tire Light Black Motor vehicle

I got 3 our of 4 hubs reassembled, but I screwed up an outer seal on one so I'll have to get another.

Tool Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire

Tool Bumper Bicycle part Gas Automotive exterior

And finally got the bushings pressed into the rear crossmember pieces. I really hope I don't have to do that again for a while.

I also broke down the struts and springs that were on the car when I picked it up but forgot to take pictures. Turns out all four struts were blown, and the front top hats were torn. Presumably from the H&R springs that the car was slammed on. I was toying with the idea of putting my stock 04 STi struts on but decided instead that I wanted some adjustability. So I have a set of Cygnus Performance X-1 classic coilovers on the way. Now it's just a waiting game until they arrive and I can get the suspension back on the car and hopefully get it back on the ground. In the mean time I need to get a new fuel pump and get the fuel tank and the 1000 vacuum lines back in place. I swear Subaru designers have a fetish for tiny rubber hoses.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Well the weekend wasn't as productive as I wanted it to be, but I did make some progress in the other direction on the RS. Finally started bolting pieces back on instead of the oposite.

Pulled everything ouf of the garage so I could have some space to work

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Motor vehicle

Nice and cleaned up.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior

New Exedy clutch and ACT street light flywheel all bolted up.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Alloy wheel

Trans subframe mounted up with new Group N mount and Whiteline Bushings.

Car Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Tire

Solid shifter linkage and bushings all ready to go.

Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle

And everything stabbed back into the car.

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fixture Automotive design Rim

New Kartboy shifter to top things off.

Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Steering part Car seat cover

That's about it. All bolted up....again.

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Satellite radio

Hopefully I can make some headway on getting the fuel tank and rear crossmember in this week. I'm still waiting on the coilovers to come in and I need to put the Goodridge braided steel brake lines on and bleed the 12 year old fluid out of the system. I'll probably go through the calipers while I'm at it and replace seals. Or depending on how long it takes to get to that point I may just hunt down a set of WRX 4/2 pot calipers. At this point I really just want to get the car back on the ground so I can start working on the body. I have a pile of bumpers and fenders collecting dust and its driving me nuts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Not much of an update from this weekend. I'm still waiting on some factory hardware to come in so I can mount the fuel tank back in the car. In the mean time I dropped in a new fuel pump, remounted the fuel filler neck, and cleaned the crusty old exhaust off out of boredom.

I had zero luck finding these clips for the factory fuel lines on the tank and failed at a couple of 3D prints so here is my solution. I'm not exactly proud of it but the zip ties should suffice for now.
Hood Motor vehicle Kitchen stove Gas stove Kitchen appliance

The fuel pump hanger was pretty crusty from sitting for so many years so it got a little attention.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Musical instrument Bumper Automotive exterior

Yikes
Wood Metal Human leg Fashion accessory Glove

Wood Line Gas Security Metal

This should be more pump than this little engine will ever need.
Cloud Wood Cosmetics Cylinder Gas

Wood Tool Bumper Metalworking hand tool Automotive exterior

Cleaned up and ready to role.
Gas Machine Electrical wiring Auto part Metal

The rear diff got upend up to check for wear. Everything looked fine for a 25 year old diff so I sealed up back up with new gaskets and shiny new oem hardware. Also popped in some new axle seals as it looked like the old ones were due.

Motor vehicle Rim Gas Nickel Vehicle brake

One old crusty exhaust.
Automotive lighting Gas Cylinder Road surface Tints and shades

Cleaned up and ready for the road.

Ac adapter Automotive lighting Bumper Font Tints and shades

Hopefully the hardware for the fuel tank comes in early this week and some real progress can be made on getting this little RS back on the road.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
really nice pics and detail. I'm jealous of all the space you have to work on the car too.

what are you using to take pics?
Thanks! I always wont more space, but I'm fortunate to have the space I have.

They're just photos straight off my iphone. I feel like Apple's default settings crank the contrast or something to try and make them feel like they're not phone pictures.

·
Premium Member
98 RS | 98 L Wagon
1,774 Posts

Mine were the exact same way.

·
Registered
'99 2.5RS
387 Posts
Thanks! I always wont more space, but I'm fortunate to have the space I have.

They're just photos straight off my iphone. I feel like Apple's default settings crank the contrast or something to try and make them feel like they're not phone pictures.
oh nice. I can't seem to get my iphone pics that crisp for some reason.

your close up pics have some bokeh too lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
The car has just been simmering lately, waiting for coil overs to arrive so I can put it back on the ground. The expected time frame of 4 weeks had been pushed out to 7 weeks so I'm not holding my breath on them shipping any time soon.

In the mean time I pulled all the calipers off the car and disassembled them, media blasted them and painted them. Now they're looking good as new ready for some fresh seals and slide pins.

Yay single pots!
Automotive tire Grey Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior

Getting everything pulled apart...
Gas Auto part Machine Automotive exterior Metal

Testing caliper paint. Tops (rear) are painted, bottom (front calipers) are bare metal after blasting.

Automotive tire Asphalt Motor vehicle Road surface Font

All painted and ready for new seals and boots.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Machine

I've also been fighting some Whiteline lateral links I had originally bought for my 04 STi and never installed. I assumed since they are adjustable I would be able to adjust them to the correct length and just use STi endlinks to bolt them up to the GC. However after mocking everything up it seems I'll have to source some different lateral links as the GC sway bar is way too narrow to line up with the endlink mounts on the lateral links and an STi sway bar is too wide.

Tire White Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system

Automotive tire White Motor vehicle Light Vehicle

I guess that's really it for now. I have some goodridge stainless lines to go on when the calipers go back on but no other news for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Well progress has been slow lately on the RS. The suspension finally arrived and I've got it loosely mocked up. I finished getting the calipers rebuilt and bolted back up with new brembo rotors on all four corners. I was also finally able to install the new OEM rear bumper to see how it is going to fit. It's getting close to time to put it back on the ground and maybe actually drive it.

Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Wheel

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Automotive design Bumper

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Car

·
Registered
159 Posts
The car has just been simmering lately, waiting for coil overs to arrive so I can put it back on the ground. The expected time frame of 4 weeks had been pushed out to 7 weeks so I'm not holding my breath on them shipping any time soon.

In the mean time I pulled all the calipers off the car and disassembled them, media blasted them and painted them. Now they're looking good as new ready for some fresh seals and slide pins.

Yay single pots!
Getting everything pulled apart...
Testing caliper paint. Tops (rear) are painted, bottom (front calipers) are bare metal after blasting.

All painted and ready for new seals and boots.
I've also been fighting some Whiteline lateral links I had originally bought for my 04 STi and never installed. I assumed since they are adjustable I would be able to adjust them to the correct length and just use STi endlinks to bolt them up to the GC. However after mocking everything up it seems I'll have to source some different lateral links as the GC sway bar is way too narrow to line up with the endlink mounts on the lateral links and an STi sway bar is too wide.

I guess that's really it for now. I have some goodridge stainless lines to go on when the calipers go back on but no other news for now.
I had similar issues with my RSB, I had a GD sway on that was improperly mounted so I thought I could fix it with adjustable lateral links. Picked up 2 sets of RK641841's from Moog on ebay for 100/set. They're rebranded by a million different companies it seems. Kinda on the heavy side but both front and rear are adjustable, plus the endlink connector can also be moved. I be if you inverted the endlink mount you can reuse the STi endlinks you have now, Don't quote me on that though! I have the "C" links on now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I had similar issues with my RSB, I had a GD sway on that was improperly mounted so I thought I could fix it with adjustable lateral links. Picked up 2 sets of RK641841's from Moog on ebay for 100/set. They're rebranded by a million different companies it seems. Kinda on the heavy side but both front and rear are adjustable, plus the endlink connector can also be moved. I be if you inverted the endlink mount you can reuse the STi endlinks you have now, Don't quote me on that though! I have the "C" links on now.
Yeah I ended up just ordering a set of whiteline lateral links for the GC chassis. I had already bought the other lateral links for the STi and just had them sitting on the shelf. I was hopeful I could make them work, but it wasn't meant to be. No real loss, they will eventually end up on the STi when I start working on it again. I was able to get the correct lateral links for about $80 more than I could have sourced the MOOG parts so not the most economical choice but not terrible. I will have to end up using the C links now but at least it will all be the correct parts.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yeah I ended up just ordering a set of whiteline lateral links for the GC chassis. I had already bought the other lateral links for the STi and just had them sitting on the shelf. I was hopeful I could make them work, but it wasn't meant to be. No real loss, they will eventually end up on the STi when I start working on it again. I was able to get the correct lateral links for about $80 more than I could have sourced the MOOG parts so not the most economical choice but not terrible. I will have to end up using the C links now but at least it will all be the correct parts.
80$ more is still not that bad! the Whitelines run about 500+ if I recall.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts